1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Uncommon/Underappreciated Mythical Creatures?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by evolution_rex, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Dark Squiggle

Dark Squiggle Troubadour

Mazik is a Jewish thing. A mazik is the most insignificant type of shed, which is roughly equivalent to a demon.
    Here is an article that discusses it. The article is only an accurate representation of the idea of sheddim (singular, shed) if you happen to be its author. I grew up with occasional references to these things, and can tell you the article leaves you knowing less then before you read it.
    YIVO | Demons

skip.knox likes this.
  2. Sphinxes aren't used in books much except as replications of the Greek myth. I'd like to write a story that features Sphinxes as a culture and species.

3. skip.knox

skip.knox toujours gai, archie Moderator

Not a bad idea. Sphinxes don't really belong in southern France, but then neither does a warg, which is what I ended up going with. That let me raise the point of why such a northern creature turns up in Languedoc. I could have done the same with a sphinx, I reckon, but the warg's there now.

Thanks for the responses. </threadHijack>

4. Yora

Yora Maester

I don't really recall anyone doing anything interesting with nixes in heroic fantasy stories. There are plenty in fairy tale style works and probably some in urban fantasy, but for such a major mythological creature here in northern Europe they seem very much underused.

5. Creatures that aren't from the western cultures like dragons, elves, etc...
    and old-fashioned faerie-folk like satyrs, pixies, and seelies.
    I only discovered seelies from a roleplay i did a couple years ago. it was really well done and made me curious about the race more. :)

6. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I've never seen Seelie used a a race; technically it's a Court, the mostly-benevolent counter to the usually-wicked Unseelie. Almost any sort of Fae can belong to either Court. Or perhaps you're thinking of Selkies, which are shapeshifters who turn into seals?

7. oh, no. The guy I roleplayed with used seelies as a race where they appeared as skinny elves but who needed to shrink to an insect size every now and then to prevent injuries and exhaustion. And I think it was also to get access to their magic? I can't remember it that well. But i do remember the good vs evil courts. Kind of like light elves and dark elves with a pixie twist I suppose.

8. Tom

Tom Istar

No one uses the pĂșca. Unfortunate, because they're one of my favorite trickster creatures.