• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Unwanted, unplanned writing break

Incanus

Auror
Haven't been able to write in over a week now.

I guess my Thyroid got out of whack. I am physically and mentally exhausted at all times now. Lost several days of work, and can't get anything worthwhile done. I've made some adjustments, but it will take time to work out.

I'm doing my best not to get too frustrated, but it isn't easy. I was stuck at home with all the time in the world, and no energy. My writing project was sitting right in front of me, and I couldn't do a thing with it.

As if this project wasn't difficult enough as it was.

I hate to be a downer. Ugh. I just hope I'll be able to write again someday...

Anyway, my advice--work on your projects when you can, because it's not always guaranteed you'll be able to.

dollyt8

Minstrel
Sorry to hear you're unwell! Take your time to feel better. Here's hoping things get easier for you and you can get back to writing as much as you want! Also I totally get you. In my case, I have chronic illness, and there are times when it's very hard or impossible to write. Try to listen to your body and give yourself a lot of grace.

Last edited:

ixris

Dreamer
Be kind to you and feel better soon! The writing will be there when you're yourself again. It's nearly impossible to get anything done while you're feeling bad, but it's even harder when you're being rough on yourself for something outside your control. đź’Ş Hang in there!

(Also as someone who recently started thyroid meds - woof, feel you on the COMPLETE EXHAUSTION, who knew that wasn't normal???)

Incanus

Auror
Thanks for the sympathetic replies!

I have no choice, or say, in the matter. It just is. All I can do right now is assess where I'm at every day.

Today--absolutely no way I can write. Tomorrow--probably the same, but we'll see.

Whatever momentum I had going is pretty well shot.

I like my project, and I just want to get back to it. I wish I had some idea of the time it will take to feel something like normal again.

I don't think I'm being hard on myself; I think I'm being reasonably frustrated at not being able to work on my WIP.

Rexenm

Maester
You really should congratulate yourself, having all that free time. There is the theory that some people are sky larks, some knight owls. Writers block is a horror, but a good block buster helps soothe any gore.

dollyt8

Minstrel
You really should congratulate yourself, having all that free time. There is the theory that some people are sky larks, some knight owls. Writers block is a horror, but a good block buster helps soothe any gore.
This response confuses me a bit. I don't think you intended this, but suggesting that someone should congratulate themselves for being unwell can come across as very insensitive. Not being able to work doesn't always mean having free time; it often means feeling too unwell to do much of anything.

Rexenm

Maester
It’s still good advice though. I relate writing; to night caps, cats and colds. So, quote me if I’m wrong.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
> Anyway, my advice--work on your projects when you can, because it's not always guaranteed you'll be able to.

This.