• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vielmond's Works

Nihal

Vala
Are those dark green things toward the background trees or mountains?
At this point, they could be anything. :p

The trick here is, since it's not a commissioned work with a tightly defined idea, to worry more about the composition and mood and less about the details until you advance further in the painting. Just have in mind the possible outcomes (mountains, plants, ruins, bones, etc) and let them float in your mind until you need to refine them.

----
Update, one silly painting and two random things.

It has been a time since I last draw some doll-ish character. So I went through a page I haven't visited for a while, of an amazing porcelain dolls maker (NSFW - Beauty and the Beast - Enchanted Doll by Marina Bychkova) and made a lazy study of one, trying to figure out what makes it beautiful, painting a hair color I don't usually do, etc.
tumblr_mjm28l3Ef61rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

My little secret when I'm painting landscapes - well, when painting anything usually. I look at the thumbnail! If it reads I know the composition and contrast are ok.
(fullview)
tumblr_mjm2gsgNQm1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Aaand, what I've been doing lately. Not a painting, really.
Some time ago I created a stylized map using the 3D from photoshop to give it a nice effect. The problem was that it's 3D engine is highly inefficient, crashing when I tried to create a print-size version.

I decided to look for a workaround and finally managed to get something satisfactory with the less wheel-reinventing possible.
(fullview)
tumblr_mjm2ipS8Es1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

To whom may concern: Basically I loaded my land's cutout in Illustrator, transformed in a vector using some automatic functions, exported in a new format, loaded in Blender (awesome opensource 3D software), transformed in a mesh, treated and extruded aaand exported back to PS. Uff.

Expect a fancy map soon.
(Yes, mayhap I have creative ADHD xD)

The thumbnail tip is brilliant, and I always appreciate all of the suggestions that you have concerning art.

The problem was that it's 3D engine is highly inefficient, crashing when I tried to create a print-size version.

Common English issue (since your signature asks to correct your English): "it's" is always "it is" or "it has", and "its" shows possession of an object. So we would say "its 3D engine".

Still, over weeks of seeing you on the forums, this is the first time I've noticed an issue. Most native-born speakers have more difficulty than you.

Nihal

Vala
The thumbnail tip is brilliant, and I always appreciate all of the suggestions that you have concerning art.
You're welcome.

A sketch like this can take 20 min only when you're at your best shape, so, it's better to start with big brushes and determine these points than taking 2h+ to refine a painting and discover that the composition won't work as expected.

Common English issue (since your signature asks to correct your English): "it's" is always "it is" or "it has", and "its" shows possession of an object. So we would say "its 3D engine".

Still, over weeks of seeing you on the forums, this is the first time I've noticed an issue. Most native-born speakers have more difficulty than you.

Oooh, thanks! My English classes at school weren't good (standard stuff like "the book is on the table"), but a teacher taught this one wrongly - as if "its" didn't exist, saying that "it's" was possessive. I was really young and it's so deeply rooted in my mind that I have to constantly watch out for this mistake.

Nihal

Vala
I should post here more often! I'm too lazy to find where I placed the file with my new avatar–It's nothing oomp anyway, just a floating head–, so will post the most recent random painting I've done. I created a timelapse (oooooooh), but it's a bit wonky, heh.

A new rpg character deserves a new portrait! I've made a bunch of alt versions, just for the fun. Actually, I do a lot of this while painting, sketch alt designs and scrapping them later.

Full version
tumblr_mkv2ycHhHE1rzsagpo2_500.png

Nihal

Vala
Thanks!

I guess the comparision is inevitable... I can't think of many redhead characters without an unnatural straight hair, I think Merida is the most outstanding one.

Nihal

Vala
Something I did in January, I think, and dug out of my old PC. Again started as a random rendering study and ended becoming a Claymore fanart. I just can't draw those hairstyles that look like a helmet! ^^'

tumblr_mly4jn1zmt1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Timelapse, of course.
tumblr_mly4jn1zmt1rzsagpo2_500.gif

I've been thinking about recording a whole painting process, speed it up to not take 2h+ heh, and commenting it. Not sure if people will enjoy it.

Wynnara

Minstrel
Love the painterly, gritty quality of your style. A lot of pro-stuff I see feels overly polished and artificial, but this has that great hand-made feel to it even though it's done in Photoshop.

I've been thinking about recording a whole painting process, speed it up to not take 2h+ heh, and commenting it. Not sure if people will enjoy it.

Well you know I will enjoy it, but I enjoy everything you post. I'd say, it if it's too much trouble for you that lots of people might find it helpful or informative.

I believe is not the first time I tell you but your style is wonderful. It always make me wish I had any artistic (drawing/painting) talent.

Nihal

Vala
Thank you, guys! Once I went to this free style I didn't want to go back, heh. I only need to tame it now.

@Zero Angel
Hehe, it's an idea I've been toying with for a while. I want to make it right, so it'll take some time until I can really start to do it. Get the setup ready, have the time to record and edit, record the commentaries (I think I'll go for two videos, one in english and one in portuguese) etc.
---

It's impossible to use my display at the moment, so I've been taking it as an opportunity to get other things going on my free time (coding my portfolio *cough cough*). So, here goes a little teaser from something I've made ages ago for a yet-to-be-released game. It was a huge landscape in wide-format and took me many, many hours, even if it's a bit empty.

tumblr_mn1z3nKttz1rzsagpo1_500.jpg

Nihal

Vala
I even have stuff I can post, but I've not posted here for a while because... I'm lazy!

Shameful self portrait. I don't like to do self portraits, I'm afraid I don't know my face well enough (lol). I did this to change my deviant ID, I hated the previous one and... boom. Daily deviation. It was scary. o.o

tumblr_mp8im0jQx11rzsagpo2_r2_500.png

WIP of something for a serie of mysterious somethings I hopefully will be able to finish before the year ends. =.=

tumblr_mpzv6w8Ezk1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Another something. This one is more advanced than the screen below, almost finished, but I don't want to kill my PC atm opening the full file.

tumblr_mr0jqeIe6v1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Doodle! A character called Idris and a dragonling (working name).

tumblr_msioz2pv671rzsagpo1_500.jpg

Fantastic as always! I know I've said it before, but I love your style. All your paintings are gorgeous. I loved the dragonling and your humans were beautiful.