• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vielmond's Works

Lumani

Minstrel
A couple of other members were bragging you up so I had to come take a peek! You have some amazing talent!! :) I will definitely be coming back to view more of your work! :)

Nihal

Vala
Stop threatening your poor ears, people! D:

Zero Angel, you liar! Oh, and Lumani, who bragged where? o_O

@Wynnara
I use hard edge brushes unless I'm adjusting the contrast/colors with overlay layers or adding some atmospheric fog. I'm the pen-pressure type of artist, so I usually keep it on for my brushes instead of doing manual opacity control. However, I lower the tablet sensibility and sometimes change the minimum brush opacity to avoid muddy colors.

I also do not rely on blur and smudging tools to blend the colors, which helps to avoid the soft look.

My preferred brushes are the simplest ones, a flat one in SAI, a round brush with no texture on PS. I'm experimenting with other brushes on PS now, some flat and angular stuff that help to build the "perspective feel" quickly + one bristled-ish, vegetation stuff, but usually I only work with textures towards the end.

I have this old, stinky half assed step-by-step here: [PT - Intermediate] Coloring Technique by vielmond on deviantART
Sometimes I do timelapses too, but they have no explanation. I don't have exactly a workflow, I do what I think it'll better. I'm pretty chaotic. Right now I'm leaning less towards the texture image overlay approach and more on the brushwork approach, experimenting with sharpening effects and chromatic aberration after done painting.

--

Just to update that thing, a sketch I've done another day: Vaarsuvius from the Order of the Stick. S/he doesn't look ambiguous enough.
tumblr_mx1d048GFq1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Lumani

Minstrel
GeekDavid and a few other senior members mentioned your wonderful talent lastnight and urged me to take a look! :D

Wynnara

Minstrel
Thanks for all the tips. I took a run at it last night and you can see the result in this thread. Obviously more practice is needed, but it was really fun to just let myself be rough and not obsess over a bazillion Photoshop layers.

Nihal

Vala
Thanks! Wynnara, you're welcome. Isn't it fun? You should try the bigger brushes to smaller brushes approach next, you'd be surprised by how quickly you can build shapes and volumes this way. :)

Zero Angel, thank you! Their print service seems to rock, and their artists selection is impressive. I'm flattered to be accepted there.
I'm lazy and didn't implement comments on my Tumblr, I don't get many accesses anyway. People usually message, use the ask option or reblog to comment on things there, but I don't think it's possible to do those things without signing in.

Just to say I've posted something, photo studies I've done some while ago. Too lazy to scan/save other things, and I have a bunch of WIPs I don't want/can't post yet.
tumblr_mxumf8M4zE1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Nihal

Vala
The thing with working with games is that they take a considerable time to be finished. I don't always get to show something fresh, and by the time I can show something I've already improved my skills and have better works to expose.

This is a three panels environment I've created 2 years ago for a local game studio, the prompt was "make something badass", haha. Unlike most old works I've liked this piece in particular, so, enjoy. :)

tumblr_n11xdxCntV1rzsagpo2_1280.png

tumblr_n11xdxCntV1rzsagpo3_1280.png
tumblr_n11xdxCntV1rzsagpo4_1280.png
tumblr_n11xdxCntV1rzsagpo1_1280.png

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I guess it's NDAs etc that prevent you from showing off recent work?
Did the game get released and how did it end up looking if it did?

Looks like a pretty harsh environment

Nihal

Vala
The Construct, I reckon I can say "mission accomplished!" then. :)

Svrtnsse, smaller studios either have no NDA at all or really strict ones. Once a studio wanted to make me sign an agreement on top of a NDA that would forbid me to work on any other project with similar themes (e.g.: Painted a fantasy landscape? No more fantasy landscapes for anyone else!). xD

The studio I've done this landscape in particular had no NDA, I've waited out of courtesy. Since they put a version of this painting on their site I've added it to my portfolio too. This game wasn't released yet.

Nihal

Vala
I am lazy, I won't scan my sketchbook pages. Here is a shameful speedpaint where I've played a bit with the dreaded blur and some edge highlight effects instead.

tumblr_n1vodsTdko1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Lumani

Minstrel
I am lazy, I won't scan my sketchbook pages. Here is a shameful speedpaint where I've played a bit with the dreaded blur and some edge highlight effects instead.

tumblr_n1vodsTdko1rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

I really love this view point T_T I've seen the blurred affect before but havn't been brave enough to try...I might have to suck it up sometime! I am very jealous of your painting technique! :)

Nihal

Vala
It's scary, isn't it? I really want to master the "blur by big brushstrokes" approach, more or less like this (less than more!):

7def920c4111781f74bf41af827204b2-d4s3ioj.png

...but mastering the traditional defocused effect is fundamental. The rights tools for the right work, you know.

In the stick saleswoman piece instead of relying on the smudge/blur tool—which can lead to a serious case of smudgetitis—I've tried the Lens Blur filter. It's neat! By creating a mask (then disabling it and selecting the artwork layer) you can control the focal distance and other details, and it looks really professional.

Nihal

Vala
Many WIPs or works waiting to be released, nothing from the last month interesting to show, so, have a funny looking study I've digged up another day instead:

tumblr_n3mvzqXZG51rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

Nihal

Vala
Quick update, personal stuff first. 4 images limit...

tumblr_n8i2qlJyG91rzsagpo1_r1_1280.jpg

Ris Megroth is not a single volcanic region or island, but a whole blazing continent. It’s said you can see the fire on the sky and taste metal on your tongue before you’re able to spy its shores. It’s thought that such inhospitable land is uninhabited. It can’t be said for sure–you just don’t sail anywhere close it.

When ash fall occurs in the southern shores of Thyse, all the way across the ocean, be sure a cruel, long winter is about to happen.

---

My own take on Ragnarök Online's thief. Sweet memories.

tumblr_n5h4d1LUbi1rzsagpo3_r1_1280.png

tumblr_n5h4d1LUbi1rzsagpo4_r1_1280.png

Meanwhile I'm still doing studies and doodling on my sketchbook, but it's mostly worthless stuff.

tumblr_n5qdi2mYv21rzsagpo5_500.jpg

Nihal

Vala
It has been some time since I last did a timelapse gif, and I've not draw something from my own stories for a long while as well, so, enjoy; and sorry for the flood. :x

tumblr_n8q25ax9Z01rzsagpo2_r1_1280.png

tumblr_n8q25ax9Z01rzsagpo1_r1_1280.gif

Nihal

Vala
I've set some very clear goals for myself and I'm determined to improve, so lately I've been stepping a lot outside my comfort zone and trying new techniques. In the last months (maybe years? haha) I've started a lot of personal pieces, now I've been rescuing and slowly finishing them. Added to some recent commissions they'll be used to renovate my portfolio. :)

tumblr_n9wg9yEMI31rzsagpo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_n9wg9yEMI31rzsagpo1_1280.jpg

She's quite a charmer. For some unknown reason people liked her very much! Quite a feat for a female without cleavage.

tumblr_n9if3qIuVJ1rzsagpo2_r1_1280.jpg

And a rough WIP. For someone who paints fantasy themes the lack of dragons in my portfolio is shameful! Time to change that.

tumblr_na0n648yr71rzsagpo2_r1_1280.jpg

Images limit reached, I'll post more stuff another day.