• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Visual note taking/mind mapping software

buyjupiter

Maester
I am a visual person, and I've been using visual mind mapping software for years. I recently found Xmind , and I love its capabilities. I've found it easy to use, and the creation/deletion of content is fairly intuitive. It's a great way for me to keep my notes organized and build off my notes than any other system of brainstorming that I've tried thus far.

This kind of software has helped me when it's time for plot development. I can easily move my bits of plot around if I decide the order isn't working, without having to hunt and find where I've put a note on a scene or a plot point. It's also helped with character development, as I can see very quickly if I have two characters fulfilling the same role or if they have similar appearances.

I love its timeline function, as that has helped me get a vast civilization's history under control. There are several templates that allow you to do different things. The templates can also be a bit limiting if you get a random bit of world building fluff and want to create an isolated note not related to the main point of the template.

It is a bit limited if you want to combine several mind maps into one. It really wants to link everything together into one big web, but you can force it to accept floating ideas that you build from. For example, if I mainly want to brainstorm about weaponry and that's the chunk of my idea space, but then I get an idea for a new magic spell, I can make the magic spell bit separate from the bits about weaponry.

Like all mind mapping software, you have the ability to switch between visual and outline styles. So, if anyone ever needs you to come up with an outline you can switch what you've already created into a proper outline without having to do the work all over again!

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
buyjupiter
This looks very interesting. I'm going to have a play later today and give it a go.
I love a good mind map!

Heisenberg

Thanks for this interesting article on mindmapping. I enjoyed the perspective of a real world project and how it developed from a seed idea to completion. Many times examples miss the fact that the intent at the end of the day is to get something accomplished.
I also want to share my experience of using mindmapping programs. At the moment I use mindmaps and brain storm a lot and when I write an article I need to be able to easily migrate from mindmap to Word and backwards to analyse all the parts of the story. The tool I use, ConceptDraw Mindmap allows me to do that.
I also save bunch of info in Evernote as i think this is the best note taking free app so now i can copy all the stuff to mindmaps and send my topics to evernote. I'm now on my phd and these programs help me to keep structured all the information i should collect for my research.

This is incredible. With this, a private board on Pinterest and a Pinterest downloader, my research can be complete. It really is a great program, I'm going to transfer things across from Evernote so I can keep my images, timelines and written notes on one document. It is a little slow, but all the same. Great find, buyjupiter, thanks.

buyjupiter

Maester
I'm so glad this has been helpful to your guy's research and noting efforts! I like Xmind and Inspiration (another visual mind mapping solution), as they help me think about stuff and they let me be as distracted as I want when I'm world building. Plus, as many white boards as I'd need? That'd get really expensive, really fast!