• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

"War on #amwriting" and a rebuttal

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
There really are some things at stake. For example, you cannot join certain professional associations unless you meet certain criteria. Yes, you, SFWA. The bar there is measured by paying publications, which only recently were expanded to include sales of e-books.

The fact that this argument keeps coming up is an indicator something is changing. We are trying to hash out what that means. For individuals, I agree with the tenor of the last few posts--just write and don't worry about labels. That's a rather different question than the question of exactly what "published" or "publication" means in this brave new world. The jury is, imo, still out on that one. And as long as that question isn't settled, the question of what "author" or "writer" means will likewise be muddy.

One of the many problems with the original article was that the author (that word again) talked as if the discussion were all done and dusted, and he knew the answers.

acapes

Sage
There really are some things at stake. For example, you cannot join certain professional associations unless you meet certain criteria. Yes, you, SFWA. The bar there is measured by paying publications, which only recently were expanded to include sales of e-books.

The fact that this argument keeps coming up is an indicator something is changing. We are trying to hash out what that means. For individuals, I agree with the tenor of the last few posts--just write and don't worry about labels. That's a rather different question than the question of exactly what "published" or "publication" means in this brave new world. The jury is, imo, still out on that one. And as long as that question isn't settled, the question of what "author" or "writer" means will likewise be muddy.

One of the many problems with the original article was that the author (that word again) talked as if the discussion were all done and dusted, and he knew the answers.

I'd agree with you if I thought orgs like SFWA had anything to offer, but I do agree 100% on what you said re: author's tone. He thought he'd finished the conversation, very much so.

I hesitate to suggest/consider this next word - as it's perhaps a little too open - but I think the word 'published' is possibly going to be overtaken by the word 'shared' when it comes to creative output. One day, maybe. Not sure what if any implication that will have on attitudes toward people who make art?

Russ

Istar
To acquire all these labels you bring up there is a specific and well defined process you have to go through. In writing, it isn't so clearly defined. You're comparing apples to oranges.

But as mentioned above, it really doesn't matter. That's something I've lost sight of while participating in this thread. It's not like a software developer calling themselves a software engineer, where the title Engineer carries with it a very specific meaning and set of skills.

Writer, novelist, etc., I completely agree that it doesn't affect me in the least. I doesn't matter if someone who submitted their 1st draft NaNo novel calls themselves a writer or not, or calls themselves Lord Dictator of the Alphabet.

I will continue to write, and I will introduce myself as a writer when I feel it's appropriate. What others do in this regard, I don't care. To focus on them and/or get worked up about what they do is to take focus away from my own writing. Because arguing this is like arguing, "What is art?" OR "Who can call themselves an artist?"

Actually I chose "Trial Lawyer" because while there is a clear definition of who is a lawyer, there is no clear definition of who is a trial lawyer. In fact there are many Trial Lawyer organizations that one can join, where the vast majority of members have never done a trial. They are perfectly correct to refer to themselves as members of say "The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association" but would be going too far to refer to themselves as a trial lawyer in conversation. I thought the parallel was a pretty good one.

I agree it not a crucial question as to who should or should not refer to themselves as a writer, but it is an interesting one, and one that deals with manners, respect and decorum, which while these things may becoming less important they still have value.

The author in the link I posted above, suggests a number of reasons one should be cautious and respectful in use of the term.

It is a discussion and distinction without clear lines, one that is marked by jealousy, condescension and pettiness. But I actually think it’s an important one nonetheless. One that when held properly doesn’t discourage anyone, but instead empowers them. It’s worth thinking about, wherever you happen to fall on the artist spectrum.

Here’s a reason for starters: the act of calling oneself a writer holds so many potentially great writers back. We’ve all seen them, writing for an imaginary audience, unable to improve because they’ve given themselves the laurels and credit before they did the learning. Worse still, misuse of the term devalues the craft and the struggle of the people who have actually earned the right.

His analysis goes on and is very good.

I always encourage people who want to write to write. I don't think one should stop writing based on a discussion of the use of the term. I do think we should be respectful of others and their accomplishments and consider just a little humility before we apply the label to ourselves.

Pin a junior G-man badge on him and let him go on about how the world can't write Agatha Christie if they want to unless someone is going to read it. Didn't appreciate it. Hey, at least he can make some cool laser beam schematics for his whatever he called it space opera. True enough.

Last edited by a moderator: