• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Watching Characters Mature vs. Skipping to Adulthood

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm nearing a point in my current WIP where I have a decision to make. I can either continue chronologically as characters mature at a natural rate (2 characters are adolescent, 1 is a very young adult... 5 total POVs) or I can skip ahead, advancing time to a point where those POVs are into adulthood.

The book is planned as a stand alone that leads towards a trilogy if I desire to continue. Subsequent books could provide an alternate time for skipping ahead to adulthood.

The story itself wouldn't need to drastically change either way, so doing "what the story calls for" isn't of great concern. I'm merely curious if you as a reader have a preference for either scenario or if this doesn't matter to you.

I've read books where both scenarios work & have no preference myself. Which, if any, do you prefer?

It might depend on just how much time the reader spends with them at the younger age. If it's a relatively short part of the story then it might not matter, if it's a large part, it could be quite jarring and bifurcate the tale to jump ahead.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
It might depend on just how much time the reader spends with them at the younger age. If it's a relatively short part of the story then it might not matter, if it's a large part, it could be quite jarring and bifurcate the tale to jump ahead.

The entire first act is told during adolescence.

Butterfly

Auror
Are there...

Any major character developments occurring rather than just getting older?

Any turning points that might be missed?

Anything else that is necessary for the story happening in the potentially missed time?

If not then skip, if yes then write it.

Alternatively, Can the later events take place sooner in their lives?

If there's no simple necessity, I'd say the usual reason for skipping ahead is to emphasize the split between the acts. So if you're not sure if it's needed, there may be enough reason to keep time simple, no jumps.

Unless you just like that emphasis.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
Are there...

Any major character developments occurring rather than just getting older?

The major developments could take place in either period.

Are there...

Any turning points that might be missed?

As it's planned, I don't believe so.... Never know what would grow there though. I keep my outlining loose to allow the story to remain dynamic as I write.

Anything else that is necessary for the story happening in the potentially missed time?

Necessary? No.... Potentially? Yes.

If not then skip, if yes then write it.

Alternatively, Can the later events take place sooner in their lives?

Yes, they could. Their abilities to handle those events would be slightly different.

The original plan was to skip ahead as no major swings or developments, slated for the time period between adolescence and adulthood, NEED to occur other than remaining hidden.

However, minor alterations could be made to the overlying plot that could make those events occur during the adolescent period instead. Either way, the same basic story structure will remain. That's why I'm asking about reader preference. For example, would you feel closer to POV characters having watched them mature? Or, would the character development during the first act (assuming it's well done) suffice to keep an attachment for the characters as adults?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
If there's no simple necessity, I'd say the usual reason for skipping ahead is to emphasize the split between the acts. So if you're not sure if it's needed, there may be enough reason to keep time simple, no jumps.

Unless you just like that emphasis.

Yes, the original concept was to jump to adulthood where the more mature versions of the characters move from reaction (hiding & frightened refugees) move to action (people more capable of investigation & doling out justice/revenge).

Last edited:
Either way, the same basic story structure will remain. That's why I'm asking about reader preference. For example, would you feel closer to POV characters having watched them mature? Or, would the character development during the first act (assuming it's well done) suffice to keep an attachment for the characters as adults?

If Act Two has about the same plot either way, it sounds like it wouldn't be "watching them mature" but just continuing where it left off, more about the storyline than shifting more to the maturation process. So for myself, I'd rather see them at the same age.

--EDIT:

Yes, the original concept was to jump to adulthood where the more mature versions of the characters move from reaction (hiding & frightened refugees) move to action (people more capable of investigation & doling out justice/revenge).

Then again, a shift from reacting to mature acting sounds like exactly the kind of change that aging plays up nicely. Go with that.

Last edited:
Yes, the original concept was to jump to adulthood where the more mature versions of the characters move from reaction (hiding & frightened refugees) move to action (people capable of investigation & doling out justice/revenge).

well, children are more than capable of revenge. whether or not the reader stays attached might depend on just how a character matures. They can just be larger, more wrinkled versions of your child characters or they can have a whole host of new ticks and foibles. It's more interesting to have them age into different people, informed by their childhood but not defined by it, but you have to allow for them to grow into people who are less sympathetic than the child characters were.

What would happen to them in the gap? Who are they after?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
What would happen to them in the gap? Who are they after?

During the gap they would themselves become: a proficient killer, a powerful caster/diviner of sorts (very limiting magic system), an extremely intelligent young man who grows from physical weakness & cowardice towards asserting himself as the front runner to inherit his family's ruling seat.

I should also mention that during "the gap" they will be hunted refugees to some, assumed dead by others, and supported secretly by a select few insiders.

The other 2 POVs are already full adults. Therefore, age will have a very minor impact on them.

The other 2 POVs are already full adults. Therefore, age will have a very minor impact on them.

A normal gap might not have much impact on adults but years of living as a fugitive would take it's toll on anyone. They might become skillful liars, foragers, and intensely secretive and distrustful.

The kids would likely become hardened and skilled at survival but also somewhat stunted emotionally and socially.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
A normal gap might not have much impact on adults but years of living as a fugitive would take it's toll on anyone. They might become skillful liars, foragers, and intensely secretive and distrustful.

1 is a mentor to one of the children. He is already all of the things you listed above and more. The other dies before the gap.

The kids would likely become hardened and skilled at survival but also somewhat stunted emotionally and socially.

Precisely....

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
During the gap they would themselves become: a proficient killer, a powerful caster/diviner of sorts (very limiting magic system), an extremely intelligent young man who grows from physical weakness & cowardice towards asserting himself as the front runner to inherit his family's ruling seat.

End part one with the kids all initiated into the various careers:

the killer makes his first assassination;

the caster/diviner casts his first spell;

and the last one takes his first baby steps towards rulership.

Then go with the gap.