• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Website Launch

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Our new website is (finally) live! The behemoth is up and running, for your clicking pleasure. If anyone is interested in finding out more about the world of our urban fantasy series, please feel free to peruse the site.

And if anyone spots any broken links, or has any suggestions or ideas for how the site could be improved, please let us know. This is, and will be, a work in progress and we love to hear from our friends.

A. E. Lowan - Online

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I did spot a few typo's in the descriptions.

Apart from that, my main comment is you have more wizard types living secretly on earth than are to be found on my secondary world where magic is practiced openly.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
My first concern is that it says "Click the image to..." under every image. It feels a bit redundant as the titles are quite descriptive themselves. Instead of "Click the image to read about our cast." you could have a caption like "Read about the characters you'll encounter throughout the Books of Binding."
I don't think it would do any harm to make it so that the title and the description also link to the page along with the picture. The titles look a little like buttons and it's inviting to click them and then nothing happens.

For the title of "Field Guide to the Preternatural" the words extend outside of the background square. In the second line on links the tops of the titles are aligned with the tops of the background squares while in the first and second row they aren't.

On the pages where there is text there is very little padding between the text area and the background area. A little more white space between the text and the blue background would probably help this up a bit. The text fields are also quite wide, meaning the way from the start of the line to its end is quite long, making it a little trickier to read.
Compare this with they layout of the blog where there's quite a lot of space between the text and the background and where the lines are comparatively short.

It looks like you've put in a lot of work on providing content for the site, which is great, but I think you can push a little on extra on the presentation.
One suggestion may be to put in a direct link to some article just below the site header and then have that update every day or week or so - to give a visitor something to get hooked on.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Thank you guys for the thoughtful input! We'll be putting all this on the list of things to work on. It's certainly a learning experience. :)

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Wow.

Did you make this?

Sort of. We used the website builder provided by GoDaddy, which is fairly plug-and-play but also has a lot of limitations. We just need to keep working on figuring out how to push the limits of those limitations and make this monster really dance!

We're glad you like it! :D

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Thanks, Noma, for the head's up about the broken link! That's fixed, now, and we also cleaned up the front page as per Svrt's excellent suggestions. Some things we're still trying to figure out, but we're getting there. Thank you, guys, for being so helpful!

adampjr

Scribe
Sort of. We used the website builder provided by GoDaddy, which is fairly plug-and-play but also has a lot of limitations. We just need to keep working on figuring out how to push the limits of those limitations and make this monster really dance!

We're glad you like it! :D

Ah. If you made it I was gonna PM you and talk CSS with you and pick your brain, but website builders are not bad. Good work either way.