• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Welcome to my world

halisme

Dreamer
Inspired by Tangleshine's own, I'm just going to call it a series, of posts, I've decided to make my little set of posts explaining my world, and allowing people to comment on, evaluate and, if they feel the need, insult it. I'll be splitting it into a few sections, either done on this thread, or on their own so people can look at them as they like. Anyway, the first of these sections will be "Universal History", the stuff that applies to the entire world. After that, it'll likely be the history of the individual states, starting with the country that my first novel is set in. Anyway, onto the show.

The World

Cyoreh (pronounced Sigh-or-eh), is the second planet of nine away from its sun. The climate is much like earth, varying massively depending on the location. There are four continents, three of which that are close together, the southern being Jenoben, to the northeast is Labeh, and to the north-west is Mihan. These were all named by the Sourcan empire, who originated in the Mihan, and managed to conquer their homeland, about half of Labeh, and had started to make inroads on Jenoben before their collapse. The fourth continent was not discovered by the empire, though it is inhabited by humans, Cyoreh's sole sentient species.

The Sourcan Empire

The Sourcan Empire originated in roughly four thousand years ago and were blessed with magic. The Sorcerers ruled through the arcane, forming a ruling class with a direct descendant of the first sorcerer as their emperor or empress. However, a major issue occurred when a civil war where the usurper won and took the throne for himself, ending the idea of divine right and causing others to begin plotting. This caused a large shift of resources from external defence and expansion to internal security and stability, leaving the borders weak and causing the empire to begin to collapse.

Those within the empire believed it to merely be a short phase, that, given time, internal security would return and they could expand again. Those outside of the empire saw it as a chance to start slicing cuts of meat from the beast that had invaded their land, and for four hundred years, the latter were proved right, though no natural means would be the deathblow. That was the Brinewrath.

Some say that it was a thirty-day storm, nature reclaiming herself from the abhorrent sorcerers. Others that it was the will of their gods, a tidal wave that crushed cities leaving nothing but tattered spires, swampland and Brinespawn. Strange, feral, fishlike humanoids which clung to the ruins like barnacles, slowly drifting into the sewers and flooded basements below. Not a single sorcerer was left untainted, and magic was removed from the world. That was eight hundred years ago. Many of the ruins have been reclaimed, others still bear minor infestations, whereas others are yet to be touched.

The Big Picture
The energy used for magic was torn from another sphere of existence, a universe beyond the one Cyoreh is based in, and with it, are The First, and their creations. Beings older than time itself, and powers beyond mortal comprehension, if not for a flicker of chance, the world would never have caught their attention. However, when they noticed their food being taken, their interest was peaked. From the moment the first spell was cast, they noticed and began to decide what to happen. Some murmured that they should pay no attention to the ants, that the took so little that they were beneath notice. Others stated they might spread, and the nest should be destroyed. Eventually, they decided what to do, assigning one of their own to resolve the issue.

Within the empire, a small cadre of researchers seemed to have discovered the existence of The First, though not being aware of their powers, or plans. They managed to translate a series of names, though it took many years and the loss of many peoples' minds in the process. These were:

Anun, The Throneless
Millu'Zahan, Heir to The Shadows
Nerin The Infinite
T'Rack, Marshall of Dreams
Kemhai, Warden of The Last Gate
Zhan Haggoth, The Dancer Within Flames
Imptolc, The Fleshed
Nikics, Who Weeps Stars
Riah N'Tock, The Silver King
Hiskleck, The Fallen

There is also an eleventh name, but it appears to either be untranslated, forgotten or purposefully destroyed.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading the little bit of lore provided. The next post will either be on Taughfland (where my novel is set), the imperial usurper, or on whatever else people seem most interested in.

Last edited:

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Seems solid. I will do my best to read more of your lore once you post it.

One thing though and don't take this the wrong way. But "Taughfland" is a horribly awkward name. How on earth should the reader pronounce "ghfl"?

Inspired by Tangleshine's own, I'm just going to call it a series, of posts, I've decided to make my little set of posts explaining my world, and allowing people to comment on, evaluate and, if they feel the need, insult it. I'll be splitting it into a few sections, either done on this thread, or on their own so people can look at them as they like. Anyway, the first of these sections will be "Universal History", the stuff that applies to the entire world. After that, it'll likely be the history of the individual states, starting with the country that my first novel is set in. Anyway, onto the show.

The World

Cyoreh (pronounced Sigh-or-eh), is the second planet of nine away from its sun. The climate is much like earth, varying massively depending on the location. There are four continents, three of which that are close together, the southern being Jenoben, to the northeast is Labeh, and to the north-west is Mihan. These were all named by the Sourcan empire, who originated in the Mihan, and managed to conquer their homeland, about half of Labeh, and had started to make inroads on Jenoben before their collapse. The fourth continent was not discovered by the empire, though it is inhabited by humans, Cyoreh's sole sentient species.

The Sourcan Empire

The Sourcan Empire originated in roughly four thousand years ago and were blessed with magic. The Sorcerers ruled through the arcane, forming a ruling class with a direct descendant of the first sorcerer as their emperor or empress. However, a major issue occurred when a civil war where the usurper won and took the throne for himself, ending the idea of divine right and causing others to begin plotting. This caused a large shift of resources from external defence and expansion to internal security and stability, leaving the borders weak and causing the empire to begin to collapse.

Those within the empire believed it to merely be a short phase, that, given time, internal security would return and they could expand again. Those outside of the empire saw it as a chance to start slicing cuts of meat from the beast that had invaded their land, and for four hundred years, the latter were proved right, though no natural means would be the deathblow. That was the Brinewrath.

Some say that it was a thirty-day storm, nature reclaiming herself from the abhorrent sorcerers. Others that it was the will of their gods, a tidal wave that crushed cities leaving nothing but tattered spires, swampland and Brinespawn. Strange, feral, fishlike humanoids which clung to the ruins like barnacles, slowly drifting into the sewers and flooded basements below. Not a single sorcerer was left untainted, and magic was removed from the world. That was eight hundred years ago. Many of the ruins have been reclaimed, others still bear minor infestations, whereas others are yet to be touched.

The Big Picture
The energy used for magic was torn from another sphere of existence, a universe beyond the one Cyoreh is based in, and with it, are The First, and their creations. Beings older than time itself, and powers beyond mortal comprehension, if not for a flicker of chance, the world would never have caught their attention. However, when they noticed their food being taken, their interest was peaked. From the moment the first spell was cast, they noticed and began to decide what to happen. Some murmured that they should pay no attention to the ants, that the took so little that they were beneath notice. Others stated they might spread, and the nest should be destroyed. Eventually, they decided what to do, assigning one of their own to resolve the issue.

Within the empire, a small cadre of researchers seemed to have discovered the existence of The First, though not being aware of their powers, or plans. They managed to translate a series of names, though it took many years and the loss of many peoples' minds in the process. These were:

Anun, The Throneless
Millu'Zahan, Heir to The Shadows
Nerin The Infinite
T'Rack, Marshall of Dreams
Kemhai, Warden of The Last Gate
Zhan Haggoth, The Dancer Within Flames
Imptolc, The Fleshed
Nikics, Who Weeps Stars
Riah N'Tock, The Silver King
Hiskleck, The Fallen

There is also an eleventh name, but it appears to either be untranslated, forgotten or purposefully destroyed.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading the little bit of lore provided. The next post will either be on Taughfland (where my novel is set), the imperial usurper, or on whatever else people seem most interested in.

Great work you have there halisme. I would not have expected that there is someone who is inspired by my post, in which aspires you to write this post, simply remarkable. One intriguing question is, do you have your own constructed language on the hands of development? I might have a fascination to check it out. Anyway, keep up the good work!

halisme

Dreamer
I don't haven any languages worked out on the grounds of most of the counties having their own, and that'd be a little too much work. The names of the first are fabricated entirely, while the continent names come from persian.