• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Welsh mythic fantasy

dauerwald

Acolyte
Hi everyone. My inspiration resonates with Welsh mythology, folklore, and fairytales; Appalachian folktale and Southern Gothic stories; and Cherokee native mythology. By exploring these linkages between modern story, myth, and ancient nature traditions, my focus has been on writing contemporary narratives which represent some form of shamanic initiation or journey. My writing tends to hang out in the liminal realm somewhere near the veil where consensus reality gives way to magical realism.

The core of my literary fantasy influence was the incomparable Ballantine Adult Fantasy imprint Lin Carter edited in the late 60s early 70s. This series not only included the American reissues of JRR Tolkien's work, but so much more incredible classic and contemporary fantasy (80 titles)! When Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara came out in 1977, fantasy lit died for me. It wasn't until the mid-80s, when I read John Crowley's Little, Big, that my faith in the magic of fantasy literature was reignited.

Now my writing draws from the endlessly rich depths of Welsh mythic fantasy. The Four Branches of the Mabinogi, the Books of Taliesen and Aneiren, the Welsh Triads, a simmering cauldron of ancient magic out of which come the Arthurian legends, among many others. I'm looking forward to stimulating interaction with the rest of you here in the village, and above all perfecting my craft and getting published!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Welcome! And what an interesting inspiration!

Thanks for sharing. I hope you'll find a way to use your inspiration to teach us some new and fun things. And also get some new ideas from our helpful, friendly community.

dauerwald

Acolyte
Absolutely! I need the community of hard-core fantasy writers...especially the mythic fantasists.

Jamiro Vega

Dreamer
I like this dauerwald. I'm going to be looking into all those traditions and mythologies that you mentioned in your post. I think a bit of research is in order. Thanks for sharing your inspirations with us. I believe they would serve the community greately.

dauerwald

Acolyte
I like this dauerwald. I'm going to be looking into all those traditions and mythologies that you mentioned in your post. I think a bit of research is in order. Thanks for sharing your inspirations with us. I believe they would serve the community greately.

Any impressions, questions, etc. about the Welsh mythic journey you want to share, feel free to message.