1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Welsh verb conjugation?

Discussion in 'Research' started by Ireth, May 15, 2016.

1. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

I want to use a specific form of the Welsh word for "weaken" as the name of a certain paralytic/anesthetic plant in one of my WIPs. I can't think of the name for what tense it would be, which makes it hard to find the right conjugated form. Google gives me "gwanhau", but I have no idea what form that is.

For context's sake, I want the word that would fit in this sentence: "This plant is used for weakening the limb."

Reaver likes this.
  2. Reaver

Reaver Kwisatz Haderach Moderator

PM Butterfly. She lives in Wales.

Ireth likes this.
  3. JP Harker

JP Harker Scribe

In the Welsh I know (South) we don't have a commonly used word for limb and would say braich or coes for arm or leg (Google says aelod can be used but that's not really in common usage and I would find it unusual). Gwan is indeed weak and gwanhau makes sense for weakening.

'Mae'r planhigyn yn cael ei ddefnyddio er mwyn gwanhau aelod o'r corff'
    Would be;
    'The plant is used to weaken a limb (of the body)'
    You can also use;
    'Mae'r planhigyn yma yn cael ei ddefnyddio er mwyn gwanhau aelod o'r corff'
    which would specify this plant, though it would make best sense if pointing at it or holding it

I would either use that or change 'aelod o'r corff' to just 'aelod' or else specify braich/coes for arm/leg.

hope that helped,

pob lwc!

4. Ireth

Ireth Myth Weaver

Thanks, JPT! All I really needed is the word for "weakening", but that's good to know!