• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Are You Playing Now?

Gurkhal

Auror
And just recently, I've finished it! I don't think I've ever been so happy to see a bonfire, and my friend Solaire haning out at it, before.

Praise the Sun!

BearBear

Archmage
The past few years I've been playing heavily modded Space Engineers, heavily modded Rimworld, heavily modded Factorio, and just a bunch of indie titles of little consequence. My favorites all time are Rimworld and Space Engineers because I write stories around what happens. Terraria and Minecraft were my favorites of long ago.

If you want to know what I played today? Project Hospital. It was mildly amusing.

Gurkhal

Auror
More Dark Souls. I've been introduced to Smough and Ornstein and I must admit they were a bit smarter than I had hoped. I had hoped that I could easily separate them and take them on one at a time. But they kind of stick together so no luck with that strategy.

Just finished Portal 2, having never played it until it showed up on Gamepass. And playing some Cyberpunk 2077 and Saints Row, along with Shipbreaker. Which like Snowrunner, is a surprisingly chill game despite it being a game literally about working.

Gurkhal

Auror
I've decided to take the grinding approach to this boss. I have brought up my armour as much as I can and now I'm looking to get my weapons upgraded before I get the two rings against lightning and magical damage respectively. Once all that's done I feel that I shall start to attempt to face Smough and Ornstein again. Primary reason is that my lightning resistance is really poor so I need that ring to not get electrocute by Ornstein's spear to the degree that I am now.

May take a week or two but then I should be ready to take them on.

Nighty_Knight

Troubadour
I've decided to take the grinding approach to this boss. I have brought up my armour as much as I can and now I'm looking to get my weapons upgraded before I get the two rings against lightning and magical damage respectively. Once all that's done I feel that I shall start to attempt to face Smough and Ornstein again. Primary reason is that my lightning resistance is really poor so I need that ring to not get electrocute by Ornstein's spear to the degree that I am now.

May take a week or two but then I should be ready to take them on.
I found this helpful to me as well when it comes to these games.

Bundydoc

Acolyte
Similar to the What Are You Reading Now? thread, this is a thread just to post and talk about what you're playing at the moment. (Not sure if this thread already exists. If it does, I can merge it later). Can be computer games, console, handheld, tabletop, card, whatever.

For me, I'm currently playing multiple things. I finally got a PS3 so I'm trying it out at the moment.

1. Dragon's Crown: I got the Japanese version, so I have some trouble figuring out some things, but my wife has been playing it with me some, so that helps. So far I really like it. It's like a more in-depth, beat 'em up.

2. Final Fantasy V: One of the few FF games I've never beaten (including 3 and 8), I downloaded it a while back for my PSP, so I'm trying it out again on my PS3.

3. Trapt: One of the PS2 sequels to one of my favorite series ever, Deception, this game is all about trapping people and slinging them all over the place. As soon as I saw it on PSN I was like, "I have to get this."
I have recently been really enjoying a game called Grounded. It's basically "honey I shrunk the kids" meets a survival game. really fun story and the spiders are terrifying :)

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm making some progress against Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls. Last attempt I managed to knock down Ornstein to about half his HP before I got fried by Ornstein's range attack.

A YT cutscene of these two assholes are provided below, for those who are not in the know but interested.

I have been doing some Path of Titans. Get to run around as a dinosaur or a prehistoric croc and flyers. I am really good at dying in it.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Man, I have not played a decent video game in so long, I forget what it was like. Maybe when the writing is done, and I have achieved more of what I would like to, I'll go back.

One observation I am making though, is that movies and television (and similar outlets like streaming) suck. It was not this way not all that long ago, but I fear I am seeing now just a whole industry in decline, and I think, in part, it is being replaced by story telling in the Video Game world. I think part of this reason may be, young artist types coming up, when they look at the medium they wish to apply their art too, there brains are already deep into the video game media, and not so much movies or TV. I suspect most of the quality stuff is where you all are at.

Last game for me was Dead Space, which I liked. And I would have liked to have finished Tomb Raider, but they came out with too many things and I lost track of the story and which next. I don't miss it though. I like my written work more.

Gurkhal

Auror
More Dark Souls.

I will confess I have been playing it rather on-and-off as I've got some concentration issues and don't want to burn myself out. But I'm getting there. I'm getting better and better at avoiding Smough's charge and Ornstein's lightening range attack so I'm whittling away at them and it feels like I'm dying with their HP being lowever at each attempt. I'm still finding it a bit hard to avoid Ornstein's spear attacks and get at him after he's done his charge attack and before he falls back to join up with the lumberfoot Smough.

But I keep grinding on, towards victory! :)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Continuing our retro phase, wife and I are re-playing Fallout 4. It's even more enjoyable this time through. I like games that, while they are games, are also like places one visits (and re-visits).

Sydnie

Dreamer
Wow, can't believe I haven't posted in this topic since I was playing Dragon Star Varnir! (Which I finished a long time ago and overall wouldn't recommend, if anyone was curious! The gameplay is pretty repetitive and trivial once you figure out that all non-bosses can be cheesed with devouring, the story is not really interesting and also too grimdark for my taste, and the most explicitly romantic route was the loli's, which is uncomfortable for obvious reasons.)

I've been playing through Persona 5 Strikers (after finishing P5 Royal a few weeks ago), and it's not too bad. The story is pretty decent, though not on nearly the same level as Royal. I'm not particularly big on the gameplay - it's a Persona 5 musou, but I played it because it's Persona 5, not because it's a musou. Even so, I can't complain much, especially since it was a gift from a friend~

I expect to finish with that in the next few days, and then I'm moving on to replaying my favorite game of all time, Tales of Symphonia~

Gurkhal

Auror
I'm having a bit of break from Dark Souls and loaded up the Europa Barbarorum 2 mod for the old Medieval 2: Total War game. EB2 is just as overwhelmingly awesome and historically flavorful that I don't understand why I ever stoped playing it some time ago. But now I'm back at it again.

Age of Empires 2 and Hot Wheels Unleashed, both proving that I can not match basic AI (or that it's a better cheater)

Elden Ring has had a chokehold on me since its release. It is a FromSoftware game, and its brothers include the titles Bloodborne (another personal favorite set in a Lovecraftian gothic setting), Dark Souls, and Seikiro: Shadows Die Twice. They're considered very difficult games and definitely not for the faint of heart. But the scenery and lore is incredible.

Elden Ring has had a chokehold on me since its release. It is a FromSoftware game, and its brothers include the titles Bloodborne (another personal favorite set in a Lovecraftian gothic setting), Dark Souls, and Seikiro: Shadows Die Twice. They're considered very difficult games and definitely not for the faint of heart. But the scenery and lore is incredible.
Sekiro is so tricky...I am stuck at the 4th boss. Still mustering the strength to continue playing it.