• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What could you call journeymen....

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Rise. The ei in German is normally what is a long i sound in English. I'm rusty on my dialects, but I think Reiser could be either Riser or Ricer, depending on where you are in Germany. You can hear a version of the word pronounced at Google Translate. Here's a sample
https://translate.google.com/?sl=de&tl=it&text=eine Reise machen&op=translate

Judging from how she says "machen" I'd say she is south German. It might well sound different in Plattedeutsche (north Germany).

If the ei sound in Reiser is anything like the modern dutch ei, then there isn't really an equivalent English sound. Phonetically it's [æi] or [ɛi]. Ricer probably comes closest except that there's an e sound before the i making it softer. Sort of. It's hard to explain a sound someone doesn't know...

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
If the ei sound in Reiser is anything like the modern dutch ei, then there isn't really an equivalent English sound. Phonetically it's [æi] or [ɛi]. Ricer probably comes closest except that there's an e sound before the i making it softer. Sort of. It's hard to explain a sound someone doesn't know...

It is Established Fact that Dutch is impossible to pronounce correctly. <g>

Or, to be more precise, there are multiple correct ways depending on where you are in the Netherlands, who you are, and to whom you are speaking. Also, how much you've had to drink.

I once asked a native speaker how to pronounce Pieter Breughel. If I remember right, he sent me six different sound files with accompanying explanation!

It is Established Fact that Dutch is impossible to pronounce correctly.
It's a known fact. We do it on purpose to confuse foreigners.

There's an urban myth that during the Second World War the Dutch resistance used the word Scheveningen (which is a town...) as a codeword. It's impossible to say for non Dutch natives, even if their Dutch is otherwise perfect. As such they used it to make sure that everyone was actually Dutch. I don't know how much of that is actually true or not, but it makes for a nice tale.

Suli

Acolyte
You have more ranks than I do. Interesting what you did with them.
A Novice comes to the academy to be tested for potential, those having been found with potential will be allowed in to learn basic training as Apprentices. Successful apprentices then become Initiated into one of the seven branches of magic, the one they showed most promise in. Only those who have passed to Initiate are taught their special secrets and after training are moved to the next level where they are sent abroad to Seek advanced knowledge and Seek out potential novices. All Seekers will spend some time training Initiates as they rise to the highest level as Adepts.