• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Do You Like As a Reader?

No. My main project is a large world meant to sustain different stories and novels. I want each book and short story to be self-contained. Although I've toyed with ideas for trilogies and serial shorts, my enthusiasm for them quickly wanes.

This is the same for me, although I am one of the people that like series a lot. All my story ideas (right now) are based in the same world but don't necessarily involve the same characters. If the story takes more than one book, then that's fine too, but it seems like it will mostly be stand-alone.

Ophiucha

Auror
If you prefer stand alone books, are you currently planning a trilogy or cycle of books?

I'm working on three projects, because I'm awful.

One of them is sort of a duology? I'd liken it more to Lord of the Rings, one book in three/two parts. Except rather than being grotesquely long, each book is more of a novella. So it'd probably be published as a single volume. It's telling the story of a real life missionary, basically from the day he is excommunicated from the Church to his retirement. So it's continuous, in that regard, but it has two clear arcs, with a separate antagonist in each.

My main project is similar to Ouroboros'. Same setting, different stories. I don't have any series or trilogies as part of the setting. Most of the stories are actually just short stories, with a few novellas and one novel. I intend to write everything for it before I publish it, as well, to keep the worldbuilding consistent. So, again, it'd likely be published more as an anthology of the shorter stuff, with a stand-alone novel to accompany it.

My other project is just a regular stand-alone novel.