• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Would Orcs Call Humans?

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
I'm looking to add a little more personality to my POV orcs and want to think of what (probably derogatory) word they would call humans.

I mean, I can use the word human, because they probably have a standard word for whatever "human" means and it would likewise translate, but I'm looking for a good slang word.

"Pinkskins" is an old standby and I really liked when Jonathan French has his half-orcs call them "frails" in The Grey Bastards, but I'm looking for something else.

My orcs live above and below ground in rocky lands on the other side of the mountains from the humans, who dwell in green pastures and woodlands. They're physically superior to humans and naturally better warriors (pretty standard) and I'm looking for what slanderous or offensive terms they might call humans.

Any ideas?

Could probably turn 'Farmers' into a derisive form, since it's an old standby. 'Softies', for both the land and lack of any natural armor or the like. Might call a knight or something 'Canned rations', if they have tin cans. 'Meat' is another good one. Particularly if the orc's don't mind eating them or just look at them as little better then cattle.

Bruce McKnight

Troubadour
Could probably turn 'Farmers' into a derisive form, since it's an old standby. 'Softies', for both the land and lack of any natural armor or the like. Might call a knight or something 'Canned rations', if they have tin cans. 'Meat' is another good one. Particularly if the orc's don't mind eating them or just look at them as little better then cattle.

"Canned rations" has a lot of syllables, but I need to find away to work that into a joke.

D. Gray Warrior

Troubadour
Well, I imagine orcs being somewhat barbaric, and humans being more civilized, so Orcs could see being civilized as a bad thing and use insults based on that.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
This has surprisingly not come up for me. The 'orc-like' characters tend to think of the other residents as weak, or unworthy of their dominion. Words tend to fly as needed. There is no specific word they may use, but I have invented words for them that they sling about when needed. I think, most likely, they would call them something like weak dogs or cowards hiding behind walls or such.

Sheep of Mithona

I'm looking to add a little more personality to my POV orcs and want to think of what (probably derogatory) word they would call humans.

I mean, I can use the word human, because they probably have a standard word for whatever "human" means and it would likewise translate, but I'm looking for a good slang word.

"Pinkskins" is an old standby and I really liked when Jonathan French has his half-orcs call them "frails" in The Grey Bastards, but I'm looking for something else.

My orcs live above and below ground in rocky lands on the other side of the mountains from the humans, who dwell in green pastures and woodlands. They're physically superior to humans and naturally better warriors (pretty standard) and I'm looking for what slanderous or offensive terms they might call humans.

Any ideas?

Any ideas?
Perhaps pink skins? Or softies?

M. Popov

Scribe
Fodder
Gnashgabs (old english word for people who love to complain. Fitting if the orcs have a pretty low opinion of human civilization)
Spear-bait
Softies
Skin waste.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Selecting derogative names can show so much of your worldbuilding. Derogative names are more than just a description of physical attributes. They can reflect cultural or historical attributes as well. Since I don't know these specifics, I can only go with the following:

Runts
flat-tooth
Screamers
Dirt-lovers

Aldarion

Archmage
Basically, determine what orcs value a lot that we lack (I imagine strength would be a good example) and then go from there.

If we go with strength, then "Squishies", "Runts" or "Jellies" might be good names.

Gurkhal

Auror
I will maintain my earlier position that "Bleeder" would be a nice term for how tough Orcs refers to more fragile humans.