• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What’s it Like to be a Screen Writer in 2023?!

Sparroww

Acolyte
Good Morning Everyone. :)
My name is Jenni, I am 27 years young and I am currently building a platform for writers to publish and sell their work in a SAFE creative space. Being an author and actress myself, I got confronted with many things I couldn't not longer accept and knew immediately: I want change.

Besides, I hope you feel amazing and are ready for an interesting interview analysis about how it’s like to be a screen writer in 2023, where the strikes are going on and Hollywood goes through immense changes overall.

I am currently building the Platform SPARROWW for writers to publish and sell their work in a safe creative space. Therefore I interviewed 50 screen writers from all over the world and collected their answers for the following 5 questions:

1. WHY do you write screen?
  2. WHAT do you don’t like about being a screen writer?
  3. HOW did you start making money with screen writing?
  4. HOW much money do you make on an average month?
  5. WHAT is your big dream?
…and here are the answers:

QUESTION 1:

“We write screenplays because we are passionate about storytelling. We believe that movies and TV series have the power to change perspectives, inspire, and even heal. Through our writings, we aim to touch lives and resonate with viewers’ emotions.”

“I have been writing for almost a decade, I have completed over 100 projects in the past, and I was able to meet with so many good folks all over the world. I will say that growing up as a kid, I am the one kid who likes reading stories even after school hour. I enjoyed listening and reading a lot when I was young. For me, screenwriting is the best way to bring a story into life and I enjoy it.”

“I write because of my non-stop imagination and creativity. I love TV and movies and want to entertain and leave my own mark in the industry.”

“I enjoy doing music for film because I get to work with artists from all over the world and the music is always different. I started out as a touring rock band singer and I got into recording to produce my records and then other artists records. Composing for film let’s me work with all styles of music.”

QUESTION 2:

“The most challenging part about being a screenwriter is the uncertainty. Not knowing if your work will be accepted, produced, or if it will resonate with the audience can be daunting.”

“I don’t hate it, but process is tough as it is needed to rewrite same script again to come up with the best version. Its all about the connections, so its hard to get a chance and become an established screenwriter.”

“I hate how difficult it is to find a manager or agent, which in turn makes it very difficult to sell your script on your own to production companies.”

“There is really nothing I hate being about an artist. I love creating in the studio.”

QUESTION 3:

“I began making money by freelancing for local production companies.”

“I started making money since I was introduced to fiverr, and I signed up for the website. My first payment was mind blowing, and I have been making a decent amount ever since.”

“I sold my first screenplay on fiverr though it was small amount of money.”

“I started online freelancing.”

“Well, I was always making money with making (writing) music but it’s never as much as the time that you put into it….and the money is never as stable as with a regular day job so there is more stress involved.”

QUESTION 4:

“On an average month, I make around $2000 primarily through script sales and freelance writing gigs.”

“How much funds I make in a month is actually personal to me, which I am not too comfortable talking about.”

“Since I am doing it part time, my income is less than 1k.”

“Lower than what a writer, pumping out the amount of content I do, makes.”

“I get paid per project and not per month. So it really depends on each projects budget.”

QUESTION 5:

“My dream is to keep doing what I’m doing now for as long as I can. Yes, money is very useful but it comes and goes a million times….but your art out there lives and is forever.”

“My dream is to write a screenplay that gets produced into a globally acclaimed film, not necessarily for the fame, but for the satisfaction of knowing that my story resonated on a global scale.”

“My dream is to write for a well-known organization so I can be recognized and obtain more projects.”

“I would like to be a recognized horror screenplay writer and would like to make a film.”

“My big dream is to have my own production company, but on a small scale just to get representation (manager/agent).”

I hope that SPARROWW will solve and revolutionize the industry from an artists, in this case, screen writer perspective with bringing more stability, opportunities, money and transparency to the entire process. I hope it will connect all of the talented writers from all over the globe with those responsible for turning the visions into film reality.

Because WE ALL LOVE MOVIES.

x, Jenni

Last edited by a moderator:

Sparroww

Acolyte
Welcome and good luck with your venture. The interview questions are definitely interesting to read.

I am curious, how do you define a SAFE creative space? And what isn't safe about the many other online places where you can publish?
A platform where writers get the value, respect and reputation they deserve. For so long, the ones responsible for creating/ writing the source are put aside, not well represented, neither do they get the financials they/ we need to create stability in our lifes from the financial side. Sparrowws goal is to become the worlds first library/ main market place for all kinds of writers, starting with targeting screen writers, later extending to singer/ song writers, video game writers and fiction/non fiction, novels, poetry. Its supposed to connect screen writers with those who are capable of turning screenplays into movies. Sparroww will give every artist the opportunity to make way more stable money along the way, offering options which will generate income even before the final screenplay is sold with page preview incomes and so forth. Sparroww will be able to help writers build a strong reputation, get a voice and regulate the price market in screenplay sales more. If you have more questions, don't hesitate. I would love to talk more.

Sparroww

Acolyte
Welcome and good luck with your venture. The interview questions are definitely interesting to read.

I am curious, how do you define a SAFE creative space? And what isn't safe about the many other online places where you can publish?
Thank you so much. Sparroww is a platform where writers get the value, respect and reputation they deserve. For so long, the ones responsible for creating/ writing the source are put aside, not well represented, neither do they get the financials they/ we need to create stability in our lifes from the financial side. Sparrowws goal is to become the worlds first library/ main market place for all kinds of writers, starting with targeting screen writers, later extending to singer/ song writers, video game writers and fiction/non fiction, novels, poetry. Its supposed to connect screen writers with those who are capable of turning screenplays into movies. Sparroww will give every artist the opportunity to make way more stable money along the way, offering options which will generate income even before the final screenplay is sold with page preview incomes and so forth. Sparroww will be able to help writers build a strong reputation, get a voice and regulate the price market in screenplay sales more. If you have more questions, don't hesitate. I would love to talk more.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I appreciate that you want to do this and are putting energy into it. And much of what you wrote ought to be attractive to any.

I am questioning though how this can be brought about. Is the idea here to create some type of collective bargaining entity? How could you assure steady income for any? I admit, writing a novel is a lot of work and does not pass a cost benefit assessment. It would be nice if it was a surer thing. But if its collective bargaining, that itself has many pitfalls and i would likely skip it. Id be interested to know some of the mechanics on this idea.

If its not that, i think you will have to be very selective who you represent.

Sparroww

Acolyte
I appreciate that you want to do this and are putting energy into it. And much of what you wrote ought to be attractive to any.

I am questioning though how this can be brought about. Is the idea here to create some type of collective bargaining entity? How could you assure steady income for any? I admit, writing a novel is a lot of work and does not pass a cost benefit assessment. It would be nice if it was a surer thing. But if its collective bargaining, that itself has many pitfalls and i would likely skip it. Id be interested to know some of the mechanics on this idea.

If its not that, i think you will have to be very selective who you represent.
Embrace - Webflow HTML website template have a look on the website which I am currently building. My first main Target a screen writers. Thank you so much for your feedback.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
Okay...just trying to cut through the marketing.

Safe space means I can post work that film producers may look at without fear of it being exposed past those logged into the site?

It seems like you are offering a service where script writers can post, and film producers can look, with a rating system to help push quality to the top.

As an added bonus, you are offering AI to scour scripts as an attempt to improve quality?

Does that sum it up?

Sparroww

Acolyte
Okay...just trying to cut through the marketing.

Safe space means I can post work that film producers may look at without fear of it being exposed past those logged into the site?

It seems like you are offering a service where script writers can post, and film producers can look, with a rating system to help push quality to the top.

As an added bonus, you are offering AI to scour scripts as an attempt to improve quality?

Does that sum it up?
the main mission of sparroww is to change the course of the content we consume, to filter out movies which subconsciously influence humanity to a different thought and behavior pattern, to move our societies into a complete different, more aware, healthy, equal and wealthy direction, basically called the awareness raising revolution. And yes, I am currently figuring out how to turn that into excellent services sparroww will provide for both sides, writers and film makers while also considering us people more, involve us.