• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What's the verdict on theme naming?

Aello

Acolyte
I was using some Greek Myth inspired theme names for some characters in my WIP. Mainly because the vast majority of the MCs break away from a cult in the first part of the story. The villain is trying to create a utopia he calls Elysium, his name is Atlas, the High Priestess is called Pythea, and his right-hand man is named Rhadamanthus.

Most of the other characters prefer to use their own names and they aren't actually forced to change them in order to join the cult (which is dressed up as a well-intentioned monarchy, more or less, run more by the church) I'm just wondering if that's a little too much, that maybe I should at least cut Rhadamanthus? I love it because its just so pretentious, but then again is it following the myth of Elysium a little too literally?

I end up struggling when looking to name other characters because I'm not sure if (as Elysium is a melting pot where alot of people end up traveling looking for a better life) I should group other character names that allude to what region of the world they may have come from. The MC's name is Aubrye and he's from a northern country that runs a little like Europe, so for instance I'm wondering if other northern heritage characters should have more European sounding names as well?

I feel like grouping names in that matter is more organized, but at the same time I wonder if readers will really notice anything other than the obvious Greek Myth names and find them trite? Coming up with wholly original names for the various cultures in my story is not one of my strong points. =/

I do love picking names that have a meaning to the character, though I hear criticism against it often for the reason that it is unrealistic.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Normally I find it forced. At a glance I think you're okay, but I also couldn't put my finger on what myth you're talking about.

Loosely speaking, think easter egg, not copycat, when you draw for names like this. In that sense, you could think about cutting Atlas and Pythea, but keeping Rhadamanthus.

I'm right with you on the hatred of naming things.

Aello

Acolyte
I know its pretty common for cults to change the names of their members, but I doubt readers want to keep up with two names per character, so maybe I will drop most of the theme names. The idea came from Atlas (who does have a given name, which is Alexander) because I thought it would clearly illustrate just what he thinks of himself and his ideas to be changing everyone's name to fit this particular theme.

(Elysium is the afterlife for the children of the gods, its a very pleasant field in between two rivers. Rhadamanthus is somewhat of the guardian or judge of it. Pythea was a real life title given to a supposed oracle at Delphi, and Atlas is the guy who was said to carry the world on his shoulders.)

I guess what I'm really worried about is that by dropping some of the theme names I'll end up with a random mix of what I think sounds neat with no real cohesion to speak of. Because I also so far have a Halwyn (welsh), and a Camilla (Italian).

Maybe I'm just over-thinking it.

Last edited: