• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

where to find writing collabs

Duncancheese

so far i've already looked at Write with Me and Writing Forums but haven't found any requests that could gel well with me, and the one guy who i did talk with didn't impressed me. What i'm looking for is some kinda forum with a large pool of people requesting a collaboration partner so i can go through a large group of people speed dating style. I don't want to go somewhere irl becuase that will entail asking my dad to drive me somewhere. And i don't want to do it through making friends because i have no friends/suck at making them.

Last edited by a moderator:

pmmg

Myth Weaver
I'm willing to be friends, but I am writing my own stuff, not looking to collab with another.

Why do you feel you need this? Why not a community to help you get your ideas together and get it started. You can do it...you really can.

Duncancheese

I'm willing to be friends, but I am writing my own stuff, not looking to collab with another.

Why do you feel you need this? Why not a community to help you get your ideas together and get it started. You can do it...you really can.
my computer died and a good chunk of my novel wasn't backed up. I gotta wait 4 to 6 months for some guy in britan to look at it. And without writing i get depressed becuase it's the only goal in my life and without it i feel i'm wasiting my life.

Also just before my computer died i already had a alhpa reader to "help me get my ideas together"

Now if i don't spend any time writing while waiting for the data recovery guy to respond. I will have stagnated. If the data recovery guy says he cannot recovery the data then that means i will have lost 4 to 6 months of writing in addition to all data i lost from my novel. If i'm going to have to rewrite chunks of my novel i want to do it "better" with skills i may have developed from collaboration. Since you can learn new things working with someone eles that you can't working by yourself.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
4 months is a long time to wait to know if the hard drive is recoverable. Should have sent it to me, I would know in a day.

I lost everything I have ever written less than a year ago. But....back at it. And thats not the first time I've lost stuff. Rewriting goes with the territory.

If you are truly feeling so lost, stop waiting for the dude and fire up a new OS and get back at it.

And yes, your writing gets better as you go.

Since you can learn new things working with someone else's that you can't working by yourself.

Gonna have to challenge you on that one. That is only half the story. You can also be dragged into a quagmire of thinking something works when really it doesn't. And you can also learn a lot just by doing on your own. The best way to learn, is to do. Others are not required.

Duncancheese

4 months is a long time to wait to know if the hard drive is recoverable. Should have sent it to me, I would know in a day.

I lost everything I have ever written less than a year ago. But....back at it. And thats not the first time I've lost stuff. Rewriting goes with the territory.

If you are truly feeling so lost, stop waiting for the dude and fire up a new OS and get back at it.

And yes, your writing gets better as you go.

Gonna have to challenge you on that one. That is only half the story. You can also be dragged into a quagmire of thinking something works when really it doesn't. And you can also learn a lot just by doing on your own. The best way to learn, is to do. Others are not required.
Frist of all the diagnosis of the first two places i sent it towards was that i had to sent it somewhere else. The second place 300 data recovery was able to send it to a place at the original price they offered but the downside was this guy has a big que and it's going to take hours to form a proper diagnosis. This guy is supposed to be a high level expert who spent 10 years on flash data R&D.

If i start rewriting now and he recovers it then i will have not been the most reproductive use of my time.

I never said i couldn't write, That i can't write it again. I know I can learn new stuff on my own. I think your making a assumption that i need this, it's more that i want this .I'm just saying collaboration can help me learn in a way solo writing can't. Because at the end of the day writing is bouncing around the ideas in your head at the end of the day you only have so many ideas in your head, Sure new ideas can come to you by reading new books or having new life experiences. But spending time with a person who may have a whole new ecosystem of ideas bouncing around in there head can be rather useful. Seeing how someone would approach a problem or idea in action rather than having them explain it.

There's also the concept of a creative duo who would "cover each others weaknesses" It's something occasionally mentioned in video reviews which i like to watch. I am a writer with strengths and weakness. Lopsided in the development of my skill portfolio in many ways. And like i said i do not need this but it might be a nice experience to have.

Also because there was this guy who offered to write with me years ago, I never accepted the offer regret not doing it, he's busy now.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
So...I happen to know a bit about recovering hard drives. Maybe this guy can do something. But if you have an SSD drive that has crashed to the point that you have to send it out, its almost certainly a total loss.

With a spindle drive, there are platters that have magnetic information on them. If the drive fails, it is usually possible to recover most or all of it. But with an SSD, its all electronic.

There are only two scenarios. If your system can still detect it, maybe...maybe...you can find some software that will scan it even if some portion of it is damaged. If your system cannot detect it, unless you got a guy who can solder chips, and knows which chips to solder, and actually doing so matters, the drive is gone. Mostly likely, it will cost a fee and no data will be recovered.

But I wont say impossible.

For those using SSD drives, just know that they do two things which make data recovery hard. First, they write to transistors, and transistors have a limited number of read/writes before they go bad (the number is very high). So a common thing that happens is users fill up their drives leaving only a small portion of it for writing and erasing new information--dramatically increasing the number of read/writes in the remaining 'unwritten too' transistors. When you get to the very end of the drive (say your drive is on its last 5%), the last ones can burn out because they are getting used so much.

Which brings up the other things SSD drives do, which is they cycle data across the free space. The idea being to cause it to use remaining transistors evenly. This can prevent the recovery of deleted files. Unless the files are recently deleted, and SSD is likely to overwrite all empty spaces given normal use because of the cycling.

Since you have said it is an SSD, I would not have much hope that it went bad and can be recovered. In my years as a forensic investigator, I have seen successful recovery happen 0 times.

Sorry, but that's the fact.

Looking up 300, they say they can do it, so maybe.

Best is backups. Which is not good to hear after the loss occurred. But its a good habit if you have a lot on an SSD drive.

Again, sorry.

As for the rest, well you did say 'its the only goal in my life and without it you are wasting you life'. Thats sounds like a pretty big impact to me. If you say its not, who am I to say differently.

It really up to you if you want to collaborate or not, but I would expect it will be hard to find someone who is going to jump at it. Most people here are writing their own stuff. I would submit that just being a part of this group already gives you a place to bounce ideas and look for weaknesses (and strengths). We are like a collaborator, but dont need the credit.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about potentially not being able to recover your writing Duncancheese, that’s got to be tough. And I imagine that finding a writing partner is also difficult to do because you really need to be a flexible and relaxed kind of person - I would find it difficult to collaborate in that type of way, and I prefer working alone, so I come on here and ask questions to other writers that may produce some helpful answers - and there’s always plenty of ideas floating around here through discussion and chats.

You know, I took pen to paper yesterday (pencil actually) and sometimes that can be a great tool for mapping out an idea or ideas that I personally just find easier than going on my laptop to do. Old technology.

Best of luck.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Finding a writing partner is like finding someone to date and marry in an environment where most prefer to be single. But best of luck in that regard.

It sucks about your computer, but a suggestion for the future. Google drive can be a good friend for backing up your writing. It's free, and it has a lot of space especially for text files, and you can access it almost anywhere. I use it in addition to an external drive. I just zip up the project's folder and upload it to the drive. Process takes about a minute or two.

Any way, I hope things work out for you.

pmmg

Myth Weaver
When I lost all my stuff, it was due to my own carelessness. I thought something was true that wasn't and caused myself a lot of work. Fortunately for me, I do actually do hard drive recoveries, and I was able to get some of it back. Least the one story I was most interested in.

Personally, I have more than one PC at my house, and I just have a script that writes my story folder to the other PC every night. I also occasionally email my stuff around to work on it at work (Shhhhhhh...). Nothing more than a dos command and a scheduled task.

I tried using one drive but it fails too often to be useful. If my house burned down, I would be in trouble, but I'd live.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I've lost 4 computers with their hard drives in the past twelve years. 25 years' worth of material. With the first one, which had an HDD, the one and only thing that saved me was pure dumb Irish luck. Five days before I'd made a full set of reboot discs with all my work on them - 63 discs total. The computer wouldn't recognize them when it crashed, and it was a rough month, but I kept at it, and finally one day at random it all worked. I got back everything.

Then I discovered the Cloud.

The Cloud is your friend. Love the Cloud. Give it cookies. It's what saved me with the other three crashes. New computers for each one, and each on just found my files and loaded them and it was beautiful. Also, now I have two SSD's with room for a third, and everything automatically backs up to both the hard drive and the SSD, and sometimes I backup to a flash drive. I baby my SSD's and life is good. If my house burned down, I'd still have my files.

Duncan, maybe it's because I do all of my own computer work, but a month to ferret out data from a blown drive? I just hope this guy came highly recommended. It seems excessive to me. I wish you the best of luck and may all your files be recovered.