• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where Can I Find Some Good Criticism?

kayd_mon

Sage
Ok, so I have been working on my first real attempt at a novel. I have everything outlined, as far as plot, and I am eleven chapters in. So far, the only person that's read it is my wife, and she doesn't give me very detailed criticism, though she does give feedback on pure entertainment value. Is there anywhere I can find a group to exchange writing with to get some constructive criticism? Maybe there's a place here, but I am relatively new still. Any help is appreciated!

Firekeeper

Troubadour
Family and friends generally make poor reviews. They're rarely truly objective. Your story could be utter crap, but most loved ones will still like it because you did it. You might get some punctuation and grammar critiques, but that's about it. As for reviews, I dunno man it's tough to find people willing to read more than a small sample of your work, especially online. I think there are people you can pay, but who wants to do that?

I'm new here too, so all I can say is put up and excerpt and see what happens. I for one would be interested to read it

Rinzei

Troubadour
As others have said, take a look in the Showcase or even the Writing Group forum - there is a lot of advertisement for writing critique partners there, whom are as equally eager for some constructive criticism as you are.

This is just from my personal experience, so I don't know if anyone else would agree - If you ask for a critique partner, I would suggest that you state clearly what you're interested in - as in, do you want critique on the plotline, the characters, the grammar, the style or language of your writing, is everything open to comment, etc. That way, it's clear what you're asking for. I've run into problems before where I wanted someone to bounce ideas off of, to tell me what was interesting and what was cliche, what was working and what might need a do-over...and the other party really just wanted someone to read their story and get some encouragement. Both ways are totally valid in my opinion, but we didn't check what the other's needs were beforehand and it just lead to some hurt feelings...

kayd_mon

Sage
I did not notice the writing group forum - thank you! I've already made a post there. I want to wait until I am more confident in my work before I go for the showcase. Thus far, my fantasy fiction is limited to one short story I submitted to Myths Inscribed, which is still pending rejection, haha. I would prefer one-to-one criticism at my current stage.