• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Where to Write

Personally. I like challenges but i dont have time for many of them.
If I were to venture a guess, I'd say this is a big reason why.

Writing already is my most time-consuming hobby. I don't have to go looking for more of it. Why write something for a writing challenge when I can also just add more words to my current WiP?

The other side probably is that many such ventures, like challenges and forum games depend on a small handful of people to keep them going. If you don't have those few people, then you're not getting them. Or to turn it round, if you want to have a story thread, with each poster continuing part of the tale, then just start and see where it goes. And accept that you'll do a lot or most of the writing of it. At least at the start until you get a few people joining in.
 

pmmg

Myth Weaver
If I were to venture a guess, I'd say this is a big reason why.

Writing already is my most time-consuming hobby. I don't have to go looking for more of it. Why write something for a writing challenge when I can also just add more words to my current WiP?

That pretty much my thought process as well. If I am going to write, I have my big story to do.

I think part of the issue is that much of MS's core membership are not new to the game, and they are all involved in a more professional style of writing. So, many of the core members wont participate, which kind of has the effect of letting it wither on the vine.

My lament is more that I am surprised that more people dont do this, even if they are not the veterans. In sites I have been on where contests were a regular thing, there was always in influx of new members putting up their stuff. I think part of this also has to do with lack of core member support, and the site not having a way to really post stories and show them off.

I dont know. For me, for many forum games, I feel that time is behind me now, and contests are not what I want to have most written, so...I will pass. But...I do also have a type of site spirit. I would generally like to see the site be successful and have a draw beyond all us grumpy old mem.
 
Top