• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

While the beginning is a good place to start, I need help to find the best place.

So...third individual supplies something that changes the trajectory of Hoppers story?

If hopper does not meet third individual does she just run some more and hop around? But third dude give her something else to try for?

If the story, but for this meeting is He chases, she jumps away, he chases, she jumps away, and repeat, then the meeting is where things change. A quick action sequence and then everything is different. Cant say as I know, but I think I would want to end the first part right after third dude says something that changes her way of looking at it. That makes her the POV to me.

He will also change Javert's story.

Yes, Hopper will hop and Javert will chase. Third dude will make her realize that she's turned into a total Rick (see what I did there). And that will spark a change, but that will take some time. And that change in Hopper won't be immediate, but will happen near the end of it all.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I know this sounds like some psycho babble, but sit down, clear your head, take a deep breath, and start typing. Sometimes the logical planning brain takes over, and in writing you sometimes need to let your artistic/subconscious right brain kick in. Start typing (or write with a pen! Brain to pen is a more direct route for your artistic right brain) and just start putting words down. Often times I over think stuff, when my subconscious has it already worked out for me. I just have to trust it. Usually once I start typing it works itself out.

I know this sounds like some psycho babble, but sit down, clear your head, take a deep breath, and start typing. Sometimes the logical planning brain takes over, and in writing you sometimes need to let your artistic/subconscious right brain kick in. Start typing (or write with a pen! Brain to pen is a more direct route for your artistic right brain) and just start putting words down. Often times I over think stuff, when my subconscious has it already worked out for me. I just have to trust it. Usually once I start typing it works itself out.
That's the issue. I've done that for this first chapter. Both POVs separately, haven't tried omni and I haven't tried merger, and I like them both and I hate them both. They're both good because each one sets up. But they are both bad in that they feel incomplete. And, now, I think maybe I should start even later and go straight to when Hopper meets Guy (new person is hereinafter Guy not sure of gender yet) and make this dam scene happen with Hopper and guy or have the dam scene be a "reveal" to Guy or something. (I really want my The Fugitive moment okay).

Chessie2

Staff
Article Team
So, I know the moment that I want to start. It's where Javert finds Hopper in a dam. They have a conversation about some stuff. Then Hopper does a Peter Pan off of that dam and into another dimension. The goal for Hopper is to show that Hopper wants to be free, that she didn't purposefully start an apocalypse, and that she didn't kill her hubby. The goal for Javert is to show that he doesn't care. He is a strict letter of the law kind of guy. This is to set up a struggle for the "soul" of some guy that Hopper pulls into her misadventures to see if he will be a Hopper or a Javert. At the end of the book, he goes with Javert because Hopper is an arrogant dick and starts another apocalypse but saves some 8 billion souls. By the end, all three of them will synthesize their views to make for a happy ending. Also, there are some crazy extradimensional monsters that eat universes and can enter into a universe if a person screws up their dimension hopping or hops to a dimension too much, hence the various apocalypses.

So really, my question is which POV to go with, should I split it, or should I write a book in the dreaded omni?
Write it in the perspective that best makes sense for this particular story. It could take you a few false starts to determine what that looks like/ends up like.

Some options:
-split perspectives in one chapter, doing ~2k per perspective
-one perspective per chapter
-omni

Choice is yours depending on how you can best tell the story.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
That's the issue. I've done that for this first chapter. Both POVs separately, haven't tried omni and I haven't tried merger, and I like them both and I hate them both. They're both good because each one sets up. But they are both bad in that they feel incomplete. And, now, I think maybe I should start even later and go straight to when Hopper meets Guy (new person is hereinafter Guy not sure of gender yet) and make this dam scene happen with Hopper and guy or have the dam scene be a "reveal" to Guy or something. (I really want my The Fugitive moment okay).

I think you have two great openings that might work. Put them aside. Write the rest of the draft. Then decide what works best.

So, I have this opening chapter in my head. But I have it from two POV characters. On the one hand, is a dimension-hopping criminal that was falsely accused of a crime (hereinafter "Hopper"). The other is a guy that is tasked with preventing people from dimension hopping (hereinafter "Javert"). I have two scenes written one from the hopper's POV. The other from the Javert's POV. Both of these people will be POV characters throughout. With a third to be added in later.

The question is, who is the better POV to stick with for the opening chapter. Javery is the b-list POV character. Hopper is the A-lister. Hopper is the main protagonist. Javert is the main antagonist. So who should I start with? I like them both for different reasons. Hopper, you get to understand her abilities right off the bat. With Javert, you understand the abilities of the antagonist organization while getting a flavor for Hopper's abilities.

What is best beginning to go with?

I don't think you'll be able to figure that out while still in your head. I mean, I feel like these things need sorted in later drafts. Do you have anything written yet?