• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Who would a Knight take with him on a Quest?

Malik

Auror
I am going to respectfully disagree with slip.knox. The Once and Future King is a wonderful read but it is a children's book and a historical train-wreck. The scene with Pellinore jousting Grummore, as funny as it is, set fantasy combat scenes back for half a century; when I was in college that scene was still the thinking among most academics as to what armored combat entailed.

On the other hand, it shows how great writing can overcome inept research.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Ted White never intended it to be history, he intended it to be literature. The work is satire, at least when it's not being tragedy. He knew how to satirize because he knew the history. And the literature (Morte d'Arthur).

I get a little defensive about White, he's one of my favorite writers. Your Writer May Vary. <friendly smile>

Ruby

Auror
Ted White never intended it to be history, he intended it to be literature. The work is satire, at least when it's not being tragedy. He knew how to satirize because he knew the history. And the literature (Morte d'Arthur).

I get a little defensive about White, he's one of my favorite writers. Your Writer May Vary. <friendly smile>

Hi, I'm actually reading The Story of Sir Launcelot and his Companions by Howard Pyle on Project Gutenberg. Is this text historically correct?

There are lots of other books on there about King Arthur.

I would be interested to know what you think of the BBC tv series "Merlin"?

Last edited:

Ruby

Auror
Ruby, if you can, do read T.H. White's "The Once and Future King". It's a trilogy. The first formed the basis for Disney's "The Sword in the Stone". The trilogy was the foundation for the play Camelot. Wonderful as both those are, the book outshines them both.

Hi, I read T H White's book when I was a child. The Sword in the Stone is one of my favourite Disney cartoons. I've got a DVD of it somewhere. Maybe I should watch it again. :) So much research! I also love the musical, Camelot, and have that on DVD, so maybe I'll watch that, too!

Last edited:

Ruby

Auror
I am going to respectfully disagree with slip.knox. The Once and Future King is a wonderful read but it is a children's book and a historical train-wreck. The scene with Pellinore jousting Grummore, as funny as it is, set fantasy combat scenes back for half a century; when I was in college that scene was still the thinking among most academics as to what armored combat entailed.

On the other hand, it shows how great writing can overcome inept research.

Hi Malik, what do you think of The Story of Sir Launcelot and his Companions by Howard Pyle? (on Project Gutenberg) and the BBC series, "Merlin"?

(I tried to reply with a double quote to you and Skipknox but it didn't post.)

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Pyle is pretty far from historically correct. He's important in another sense, though. His books were very popular and helped formed the standard stereotypes of the Middle Ages. His books on the Crusades are overly-dramatic when they're not just plain wrong.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Did you read all three volumes or just the first? The first volume (The Sword in the Stone) is rather light-hearted. The middle one is more like high drama while the third is tragic to downright depressing.

Ruby

Auror
Did you read all three volumes or just the first? The first volume (The Sword in the Stone) is rather light-hearted. The middle one is more like high drama while the third is tragic to downright depressing.

Hi skip.knox,

I read the first volume.

Thanks to you, I'm spending a very pleasant morning watching my DVD of "The Sword in the Stone".

This is what I call research! :)

Ruby

Auror
Ruby, if you can, do read T.H. White's "The Once and Future King". It's a trilogy. The first formed the basis for Disney's "The Sword in the Stone". The trilogy was the foundation for the play Camelot. Wonderful as both those are, the book outshines them both.

Hi skip.knox. Oh dear, I think I misread your advice and, last night, finished watching Disney's " Sword in the Stone", thinking I was doing research! :D

Fortunately, I like cartoons and musicals! :)

I want to read the book now to find out how accurate the cartoon is!

Last edited: