• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Why I Am Here

Good Evening.

I've spent the better part of an hour reading through the preceding introductions on this forum, and am beginning to question if I am in the right place. So many of you are here because you have a deep and intense passion for writing as an art form. You are seeking the tools needed to hone your skills to a fine point, sharp enough to carve your name into the analogs of written lore. Some of you have already tasted success, and are here to ensure a repeat visit to the banquet. To all of you, I offer my sincerest luck.

That is not me.

I am not a writer, nor have I ever identified as such. I have never fantasized about seeing my name in glossy raised letters on my local bookshelf. Frankly, the idea of letting others read my work is abjectly terrifying. It is not a hobby for me. It is not a career path, or step to financial gain. For the better part of a year, writing has been the only thing keeping me together. It is a balm for jagged nerves. An outlet for raging torrents of emotion that have no other outlet. It is my soul, writ for the world to see.

I do not write my story because I want to. I write it because I have to. The characters are all there waiting for a voice. I have gotten glimpses here and there, and done my best to bring them to life. But it is like trying to sketch a portrait based on reflections in the shards of a broken mirror. I lack the tools to fit them together, so that I may see the whole image. It is my hope that I will find what I need here. Perhaps I can finally give them the voice they deserve.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
Welcome. I think you will find others here who have, if not identical motivations and goals, at least similar ones. Hang around a bit; not everything comes out in the intro, right?

Writing-as-therapy (forgive me if I'm off the mark on that characterization) is widely recognized. You are right that different standards apply, and you may well find other forums that land closer to the mark for you. But if your story involves fantasy, you will surely find something useful here, even if it doesn't turn out to be your main hangout.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
Hail and well met Cichol's Folly
I write as therapy. I write for relaxation. I write for fun. I write to get the stories out of my head [and I write as part of my job].
I try to learn something every time I write; to get a little close to what and how I want to write [A glass of Chandler, a shot of Tolkien and add a dash or two of Pratchett - Okay so I have modest ambitions].
Mythic Scribes has helped me with help, information and even a way to procrastinate.
Learn what you need, share what you know.
And enjoy the ride...

Ugh, forgive me. I should know better than to write when I'm in a maudlin mood. Let me try again. I used to pen fantasy stories with a dear friend in college. We recently reconnected and created an incredible world of urban fantasy. As I said, writing for me is emotional and deeply personal. I'll skip the drama, sufficed to say things fell apart. Six long months later, and my life is slowly rebuilding. I know longer write with my friend, and indeed, swore I would never be able to again. But my characters are just so compelling. I am excited to give them a proper go. I also need to prove to myself I can write by myself.

You guys will like it. Snarky fae, gentile demons, and a poor befuddled grocery clerk just trying to stay out of trouble. Welcome to Cichol's Folly. It's going to be one hell of a ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: