• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

World-conquering horde of desert nomads (evil god involved)

Jabrosky

Banned
So basically if the empire in question is plagued by internal problems or in a period of weakness, for one reason or another, then determined nomads can absolutely take it on, and win.
The Kametians in my world are suffering a series of droughts brought about by climate change, and there's bickering within the royal administration on how to address that. Perhaps that could bring about the period of weakness that makes them vulnerable to the Yisraali onsalught? Come to think of it, climate change might provide the Yisraalim with a motivation for conquest even without a god or magic staff to back them up.

EDIT:
Of course Nagash presented another neat idea the moment I was typing this.

SineNomine

Minstrel
Well, the best inspiration may come from history since you're obviously using historical analogues anyway! Look to the very earliest Muslim conquests, during Abu Bakr's control after Muhammad died. Muhammad united the Arab tribes, but it was Abu Bakr that started the real expansion into what became the Rashidun Caliphate. There are probably tons of great material to read, but a quick summary would be:

1 - The biggest issue was that the two massive empires that were on their doorsteps, the Byzantines and the Sassanids, only had eyes for each other. They had been in a series of wars on and off for over a century at this point, with MASSIVE swings in the amount of land they controlled depending on the time and the war. Not only did they underestimate anyone who wasn't the other, they were perpetually weakened by these series of wars.

2 - Their warfare was COMPLETELY different than what one side expected. Battles between the persians and post-romans was all about the heavy cavalry charges. Heavy cavalry was godawful against the desert tribes, who preferred light cavalry and hit and run tactics that just never gave an opportunity for the heavy cavalry to do anything but sit there looking impressive. After a century of constantly bashing their heads into each other in the exact same way, they didn't adjust fast enough.

3 - Good leaders! It's about as simple and direct as it gets, Khalid ibn al-Walid was a baller. The important battles in the conquest of Persia almost universally had the arab forces being smaller and winning lots of times they shouldn't because of superior tactics. A war is ultimately a collection of battles, and consistently winning battles that are not in your favor (but not hopeless) goes a long way to winning.

4 - Good old distractions. Both empires were very large places with logistical problems that prevented them from projecting as much force as they wanted as fast as they wanted. The Persians were dealing with their own rebellions and during the conquests entered a bit of a troubled time. I think it was something like 10 kings in 4 years? The Byzantines obviously held out unlike the persians, but lost the entire levant area. They were STILL recovering from the Plague of Justinian and there were still much smaller plagues that struck every so often.

Nagash

Sage
Let me tell you of a sub-story I wrote for the sole purpose of adding some mysticism in the past of my world, and which strangely reminds me of yours. That might give you some pointers about how the whole concept of fanaticism is fundamental in a pious world, especially when it comes to the crafts of war.

"Once, in the forgotten deserts of the current Lao-Sha, ruled one of the kingdoms of men - one of the mightiest ever created. Oh, what wonder was the temple-city of Sarnak, home to the sons of the moon and sun, with its marvels, its colossal monuments and statues so many bled for, to honor the twin gods. They had settled near the ancient oasis of Saa'ori and Saa'ahr, and extended their golden city across the desert, and deep under the sands. Under the almighty and revered King Kemsyt, they had become great craftsmen when it came to architecture and complex underground buildings. He had guided them to the path of greatness, under the severe but warm look of their Gods : Ta'Jax, the Sun-God and lord of light and day, and Kar'Nash, father of night and darkness, the Moon-God. Once, Ta'Jax and Kar'Nash were engaged in an never-ending power struggle, constantly battling each an other, to triumph, at last, over their antagonist. Yet, the mighty King had undestood that gods were to be honored equally, so balance could be installed and peace could flourish. Kemsyt had built an empire to their fame, and thus had pleased them, assuring the prosperity of his kin for the forthcoming centuries.

Yet, no glory is deemed to go through for ever, untainted. Kemsyt grew old, and soon, his son Sathra came to the age of claiming the throne his ancestors sat on. Sathra had the strength of his father and the charms of youth ; energy, skill and vigor were his best traits. When the ill king, he who had once been great, died diminished, Sathra succeed him, bearing the crown of the Nash'Atra (litt. "King under the Moon and Sun" old Sarn'ashi). Upon seeing his father enduring a slow and agonizing death, Sathra's heart grew dark, as the fear of Death grew within him. More than any other, he was thrown in the arms of constant anguish and despair, obsessing upon his impending fate. Kar'Nash saw the troubles eating away the Nash'Atra, and saw the opportunity to triumph over the Sun-God, at last.

One night, the Moon-God came to the troubled King and proposed a trade to Sathra. He would guarantee his immortality, as long as there would be stars in the night sky and a moon to pray too, if the King was to bring him the relic of Ta'Jax which had been jealously kept in the Sun-Temple, in the highest and northernmost tower of Sarnak. Only then would he make him an immortal Nash'Atra. Mad with obsession, Sathra blindly accepted the trade, and the next day, he and the followers of the Moon gathered in secret, and began plotting against Ta'Jax, and his devoted ones. Sathra promised to the keepers of Kar'Nash, immortality, as well as the sole rule of their Moon-God over the desert kingdom of Sarnak. They were pleased, for much alike their god, they craved for power and desired more than anything, the arise of the eternal moon.

When Sathra and his followers attacked the Sun-tower, most of the adepts of Ta'Jax were wiped out, unprepared and undoubting of such treachery. Some survived, and fled to the North, never to be seen again. Many more died facing the greedy sons of the Moon. The Sun-Tower was lost, and the relic stolen. It was only at the last moment, where all hope seemed lost for the guardians of the Sun, that Ta'Jax intervened, drawn to attention by the sacrilege Sathra had been committing. Seeing his children's blood tainting the very stones of his temple, he underwent a dark and hungry fury, burning to ashes those who dared lay hands upon his sons. Fleeing the sunlight, Sathra and the sons of the moon went deep into the underground complex of Sarnak, while the furious Sun-God unleashed his rage upon those left behind, and the innocent. Thus fell Sarnak, the geart kingdom of the western desert.

Sathra and his treacherous people had come back to Kar'Nash with the relic, and the Moon-God, pleased of this triumph, granted immortality to the mad King. Yet, the Nash'Atra wasn't merely as imposing as he was once, his kingdom in ruin, his might people turned to ashes, his soul forfeited...Never again could he and his followers dwell in the sun-light, for it had forsaken them. The Moon told them, that the sun could only be defeated if the Gods of the east were vanquished, and the people of Kadhash enslaved. Once again, they were charged with a great quest by the Moon-God, and once again they responded, desperate to free themselves from the curse Ta'Jax had casted upon them.

Centuries passed, and the sons of the moon, alike their Liege, changed. They had survived time, but at what cost ? Their flesh had rotten, their souls weakened, and those who once were mighty warriors and priests of the moon, were merely the ghosts and skeletons of a glorious past. Sathra, once proud and free, had grown into a slave of his obsessions and of Kar'Nash. Unwillingly, he and his people, had become mere tools of the Moon-God. He waited for the time he and his legions, would rise again, to wage ware against the Sehras and their God, to the east.

There was little hope of victory, but one day, they will arise from the depth again, and take their chances against the empires of the east. It isn't about desiring to conquer, more than it is about pleasing their god, so he would free them, at some point, from the agony of the undying. Desperate to do by his word, and to claim back their olden glory, they won't be stopped. For it is despair, fear, and belief that drives their soul-less carcasses."

To the point, faith is a crucial element of warfare in these worlds ruled by superior powers. I believe it is a key element to incorporate in your plot, and have repeatedly done so myself. The legend of Sathra - which i only put here for the sake of argument and illustrating an idea - is a motif like any other, that might drive your desert-dwellers to wage war against the entire universe.

Last edited:

Jabrosky

Banned
Their warfare was COMPLETELY different than what one side expected. Battles between the persians and post-romans was all about the heavy cavalry charges. Heavy cavalry was godawful against the desert tribes, who preferred light cavalry and hit and run tactics that just never gave an opportunity for the heavy cavalry to do anything but sit there looking impressive. After a century of constantly bashing their heads into each other in the exact same way, they didn't adjust fast enough.
My Kametians have two major kinds of cavalry: zebra chariots and war elephants. Obviously the elephants would qualify as super-heavy cavalry, but what about the chariots? I'm guessing light cavalry since the Egyptian chariots they're based off from were designed to be lighter and more maneuverable. As for the Yisraalim, their cavalry is almost all camel-based.

There is another, more under-handed tactic I've just considered that Moshemud and his zealots could use: good old-fashioned terrorism. He could use his staff to inflict terrorist damage (e.g. destroying a sacred monument) upon the Kametians, scaring them into capitulation to his cause.

Last edited:

Gurkhal

Auror
I don't think that you could qualify elephants as cavalry at all since they seem to have a very different role on the battlefield. Elephants seems more like a kind of "fire-and-forget" in that they are sent in, to my knowledge, to soften the way for the foot and horse formations in their attacks by disrupting the enemy formations.

Noma Galway

Archmage
Elephants seems more like a kind of "fire-and-forget" in that they are sent in, to my knowledge, to soften the way for the foot and horse formations in their attacks by disrupting the enemy formations.
I know they weren't elephants, but they were close: The Mumakil in Return of the King were the mounts of the Haradrim from the South. I count those as cavalry.

Amanita

Maester
On a different note. Do you really think it's necessary to make this group and their beliefs completely evil from an outside point of view? It makes sense that they would be seen that way by the empires they attack of course but does it have to be "true"? Wouldn't two groups at war for reasons that seem justified to both work as well?

TrustMeImRudy

Troubadour
From what I've read, elephants were more useful for the terror of these huge things lumbering at your armies and for breaking up armies quickly. They werent really cavalry cause putting them among your other troops was a bad idea, since when shot they kinda went berserk and didnt care about friend or foe.

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Khalid ibn al-Walid was a baller.

There is a beautiful story there. One of a man who hoped that every wound he took in the battle would be the killing blow, the one that earned him the status of a martyr, but ended up dying of old age. A story of a man so associated with success, the leaders feared the soldiers would elevate him beyond mortal. He was ordered to step down, to become a footsoldier. He accepted without complaint. A story of a man living in the shadow of his brothers, physically and chronologically, ended on opposing sides of battle, and defeated them.

His story is always a source of inspiration.

On the subject of desert dwellers expanding, the Muslims conquered lands of people who shared the same culture and language. Those conquered people assimilated quickly. Although they shared the same culture, the lands were different and, thus, there fighting styles. Those conquered people augmented the portfolio of available strategies and kits, allowing the Muslims to be very adaptive.