• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

would this be interesting

kimo333

im considering writing a fantasy book. my main character will be a gruff and intelligent assassin. he was born into a highborn family but they were all killed when he was young, he was rescued by another assassin who trained him. every once in a while he starts coughing up blood causing extreme pain, but he can resist when his life is in danger. i might give him a special ability that he uses to either take out targets, or get to them. i might have another pov of a character whos family was killed. and i might have a magic system where the more powerful the magic is, the hore difficult and dangerous to the wielder it becomes.

Last edited:

Kelise

Maester
Only write if it's something you want to write. If you need to seek whether others think it's interesting, then it's probably time to work on your idea more until it's something you feel the NEED to write.

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
There's not really much to comment on. You should probably explore your idea more before you decide whether it's something you want to write or not.

Dragonie

Scribe
What the others said. If you thought it was interesting enough to spend time thinking about it, working out details and so on, then it probably is interesting.

Ghost

Inkling
every once in a while he starts coughing up blood causing extreme pain, but he can resist when his life is in danger.

Uh, how does he do that? Sheer force of will? Apart from the coughing, I've seen things like this in fantasy. With the coughing, it sounds like something I've seen in anime. The set up alone doesn't do it for me, but it completely depends on the treatment and tone. With the right character and a new environment, it might be great.

If you think you have an interesting take on the concept or if the story haunts you, go for it. I figure it's better to appease the muse and write something than to let the idea niggle at you for weeks. If you're lukewarm about the idea, play around with it for a bit.

and i might have a magic system where the more powerful the magic is, the hore difficult and dangerous to the wielder it becomes.

For me, this part is more interesting than the guy who murders people even though his own family was murdered.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
You have all the basics for a good story, and at this stage that might be enough. But I don't see anything quite strong enough to say whether or not it would be worthwhile to write. I think I've seen all of these plot points before, and nothing compares in importance to the way you would end up putting it together.

Flush out your ideas more and start writing, and see whether anything worthwhile comes from it.

Xanados

Maester
Don't ask if your idea is interesting. Just don't. Write the story first, have people critique it, and then see what they think. As Starconstant said, it's probably a weak idea if you need validation of this sort.