• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Write about Dragons

Jaredonian

Dreamer
I tried to do a search to see if this has been posted already, but you wouldn't believe how many hits you get when you search for 'writing about dragons' on this particular forum. So instead I'll just risk being redundant and link you over to the website Write about Dragons. Basically its recordings of university class on creative writing, taught by Brandon Sanderson. While you might have already heard a lot of the advice he gives in the class, I found the videos useful for getting my thinking about my own story and some different aspects of it, so I thought I'd share it with all of you in hopes it might to the same.

I usually just make up my own stuff. I'm not a fan of many of the "Tolkien" races (except Dwarves, because Dwarves are awesome), so if I write about things like elves, they will probably have more in common with Tusken Raiders than anything else.

Dragons are the one thing you can't really do that with. I will check this out.

EDIT: Just realized that this isn't about dragons at all. I feel sheepish. Still a good resource, though.

Last edited:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
This isn't actually a tutorial on how to write about dragons. This is a series of classes, taught by Sanderson, that cover an large portion of his writing process.

They are pretty good & free. This has been posted before but, as you said, may prove hard to find for newer members.

OGone

Troubadour
I've watched all of these lectures, I didn't even know who Brandon Sanderson was a couple of weeks ago and now I'm purchasing several of his books. The videos are centered more around plot and character development and the business side and process of being a writer as opposed to actually being writing lessons with grammatical advice. There are a few really helpful activities embedded within the videos.

I'd like to thank whoever it was who posted him writing the Stormlight novels because that is what initially introduced me to him, I really found these videos helpful and he's actually a really entertaining guy. Would definitely suggest people giving these videos a watch and registering on the site to participate in a little critique activity which will partner this year's lectures.

Last edited:

Jaredonian

Dreamer
I'm glad he finished wheel of time (still need to get the new book), because I just read the first stormlight archive book and loved it. Also, I'll link you all this other set of videos he did at Jordancon. Some of the stuff might be things he goes over in the write about dragons videos, but you might get a few new things out of it. One is on description and viewpoint, the other is on plotting, I believe.

I am glad to see this posted. I'm planning on ripping these to a source so I can listen to them at the gym. Again, thanks for the find (As Thanks are only so helpful ;) ).

OGone

Troubadour
I'm glad he finished wheel of time (still need to get the new book), because I just read the first stormlight archive book and loved it. Also, I'll link you all this other set of videos he did at Jordancon. Some of the stuff might be things he goes over in the write about dragons videos, but you might get a few new things out of it. One is on description and viewpoint, the other is on plotting, I believe.

Awesome, thanks.

I'm a few chapters through Mistborn, it's really good so far. Glad I found this guy.

Jaredonian

Dreamer
I found the end to the Mistborn trilogy to be one of the most satisfying I've read in a long time.