• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Write Better, Faster

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
I think that there are two things I can do to improve my chances of being a successful writer:

1. Learn to write things that a reader will enjoy.
2. Write a lot of things

Up until recently, I've very much focused on part 1. I'm not where I want to be yet, but I feel like I'm headed in the right direction. So, while procrastinating the other day, I came across the book Write Better, Faster by Monica Leonelle.

Her basic concept is: Study how you write in order to determine what works best for you.

Overall, I think the tips she gave will help me improve my efficiency. It already got me past an issue:

On June 1, I submitted my novel to my editor. I worked very hard to meet that deadline. For the last few months, I was producing at a really good rate.

I figured, well, I've got a couple of weeks before I get the edits back, so why don't I rewrite that novelette that I've never been quite happy with?

I hit a wall. Got almost nothing done last week.

After reading Write Better, Faster, however, I identified the problem and am now producing again.

SO - will it help you?

This book was tailor-made for me. It's all about:

1. Define a problem
2. Gather data
3. Use the data to solve the problem

If you shudder at the thought of applying analytical techniques to creative process, you may not get nearly as much out of it as I did. Otherwise, I think it's worth the money.