• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Excuses

So Writing Excuses is a podcast with short episodes. Brandon Sanderson and other authors conduct conversation topics. I found it real easy with the Android app Cashbox. I'm really enjoying these tidbits.

Sent from my NXA8QC116 using Tapatalk

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I've listened to a few of them and found them helpful. I lot of the stuff that they talked about I hadn't ever really considered. I would recommend them but also caution that its easy to get distracted and caught up in what they are saying. Just looking at both sides of the argument.

I was thinking about that when I was listening to an episode called unconscious biases this morning. Too true.

Sent from my LGLS675 using Tapatalk

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Yeah, I stopped listening to them a while back because I felt like I was getting side tracked into including all of the things they were talking about instead of actually producing material.

Bvboozell

Acolyte
Yeah, they can be really helpful but also insanely distracting. I remember I once went on a binge a few years back and probably took some of their advice a little too seriously. Take what they say with a grain of salt. Sometimes what doesn't work for another writer may well work out for you.

I look forward to each new episode. I like hearing their opinions. They typically have some differing points of view amongst themselves, so it's clearly up to each listener to take from the podcast what works for him/her.

C

Chessie

Yeah, I stopped listening to them a while back because I felt like I was getting side tracked into including all of the things they were talking about instead of actually producing material.

I've felt the same way about the SPP trio. They have some awesome advice and I used to enjoy listening to them very much, but after a while there comes a point in time where producing work needs to come first. An hour of listening to a podcast could be 1k words for me. Although I occasionally listen if I'm also in a gaming mood.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I listened to loads and loads of them. I'd put it on while I was doing dishes or laundry, or whatever else. My favorites, I listened to multiple times. So, I guess I never experienced a disrupt, though I've spent more than 50 hours listening to it. I have four kids and stay home, so I have plenty of quiet time when they're in school, to write. The podcast was perfect while I'm doing household stuff and not writing anyways. It was a bit of a boost for me to listen to the podcast before my afternoon writing session got kicked off (when Kindergarten starts after lunch, HA!)

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I listened to loads and loads of them. I'd put it on while I was doing dishes or laundry, or whatever else. My favorites, I listened to multiple times. So, I guess I never experienced a disrupt, though I've spent more than 50 hours listening to it. I have four kids and stay home, so I have plenty of quiet time when they're in school, to write. The podcast was perfect while I'm doing household stuff and not writing anyways. It was a bit of a boost for me to listen to the podcast before my afternoon writing session got kicked off (when Kindergarten starts after lunch, HA!)

I've never tried listening to them while I was doing something else. Its always been procrastinating and think, what sounds like I'm doing work but really isn't? Don't get me wrong, I really liked the stuff that I heard and maybe if I put it on as background noise there might be something in it for me. I guess I don't feel like I'm ready to take on all the jargon yet. I'm pretty intrinsically motivated in my writing these days, for better or worse. I like the flow that I have and don't want to change that with other opinions, at least right now. Hope that doesn't sound too close minded!

C

Chessie

That doesn't sound close minded at all. Sometimes we need to shut ourselves in and just work. Pretty much the only podcasts I listen to these days are Indie marketing ones to stay informed about current events.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
That doesn't sound close minded at all. Sometimes we need to shut ourselves in and just work. Pretty much the only podcasts I listen to these days are Indie marketing ones to stay informed about current events.

Thanks for the encouragement!