• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing Excuses

Gustopher

Acolyte
Writing Excuses

Writing Excuses is a podcast about writing by NYT bestselling epic fantasy author Brandon Sanderson (author of Mistborn trilogy, Way of Kings, last 3 Wheel of Time books), Howard Tayler (author of Schlock Mercenary webcomic), Dan Wells (horror and thriller author of the John Cleaver Trilogy, Partials series, and Hollow City) and Mary Robinette Kowal (puppeteer and historical fantasy author of Shades of Milk and Honey and Glamour in Glass, as well as Hugo award-winning short story For Want of A Nail). They also have a lot of guest stars.

I've listened to this podcast for years and it has saved me from hundreds of mistakes and improved my writing immeasurably.

Check it out if you're serious about being a successful fantasy writer.

eojsmada

Acolyte
If one also looks on Youtube for his JordanCon talks, there is a great wealth of information there. As well, he tends to be interviewed a lot by a great many magazines and newspapers from all the different places he travels to. So doing a Google search for Brandon Sanderson Interview will yield a copious quantity of information on writing.

Writing Excuses is great wealth of good writing advice. I mostly just wish Sanderson was a bit less... intense? Nothing against the guy, of course, but sometimes I feel stressed just listening to him. :p

But, yeah, other then that I usually enjoy listenting to them.

I really like both Sanderson and Tayler (been reading Schlock Mercenary for years), but I just can't do podcasts. I can't pay attention to what's in a podcast and accomplish anything else except driving... and I don't drive much (I take the bus home from work). So I can't listen to a podcast while I'm coding or writing, which means I'd have to just sit there and listen to it.

Amanita

Maester
I've listend to a few of those podcasts but like Benjamin Clayborne, I have little patience with listening to them. I'm much faster reading something myself and rarely find the motivation to sit still for fifteen minutes listening to this. I also dislike the aggressive advertisment for Audible and some random audio-book in every podcast. This kind of thing is much easier to ignore while reading a website as well.

I really like both Sanderson and Tayler (been reading Schlock Mercenary for years), but I just can't do podcasts. I can't pay attention to what's in a podcast and accomplish anything else except driving... and I don't drive much (I take the bus home from work). So I can't listen to a podcast while I'm coding or writing, which means I'd have to just sit there and listen to it.

So it's basicaly like, I don't know, reading a book? :p

Gustopher

Acolyte
I like that they do the book of the week feature because everything they have recommended that I have read has been excellent.