• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

writing new book ?

Yaron P

Scribe
Should I wait after I finish all the chapters in the book and then design and write world building or should I start from design and setting

Mad Swede

Auror
Just write. Just finishing the first draft of the book is a bigger achievement than you may think. Then you can go back and think hwo many other details you need to describe the setting enough for the story to make sense.

I’d be curious to know how you would even go about creating content for your chapters without an idea of the world you are writing in. I feel that you’d have to know at least 80% of the major details to have any viable material to work with. Both major and minor details matter in my opinion because they can really influence the tone and entire plot of your book. You can research more minor details afterward or during a first rough draft, but without the knowing the location, the climate, the language, the belief system, the topography, the time period, the magic system - if there is one (etc.) what are you left with? Something completely out of context and meaning.

Yaron P

Scribe
I’d be curious to know how you would even go about creating content for your chapters without an idea of the world you are writing in. I feel that you’d have to know at least 80% of the major details to have any viable material to work with. Both major and minor details matter in my opinion because they can really influence the tone and entire plot of your book. You can research more minor details afterward or during a first rough draft, but without the knowing the location, the climate, the language, the belief system, the topography, the time period, the magic system - if there is one (etc.) what are you left with? Something completely out of context and meaning.
I do have a world , and most of setting like where is where , I just don't know how to expand organize and explain all the rest of the content .

Perhaps begin with a basic list ie.

• world name
• story location name
• time period inspired by
• climate
• political system (are there nobles, knights and maidens, or are there presidents, dictators and warlords?)
• attire (the time period and climate will usually decide this one)
• belief system
• modes of transport
• bestiary (magical or mythological creatures)
• magic system (hard or soft rules?)

Yaron P

Scribe

• world name
• story location name
• climate
• political system (are there nobles, knights and maidens, or are there presidents, dictators and warlords?)
• belief system
• modes of transport
thank you, that helpful , thank for taking the effort.

pmmg

Myth Weaver

• world name
• story location name
• climate
• belief system
• modes of transport
Never quite came up with a name for the world. The rest just kind of sprang up as I was writing.

My answer...you cant just go add this later. You have to have some idea as you are going. I go back to...try some writing first. Then come in with questions.