• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

writing opposite gender characters

I have to agree here. Unless you're talking sci-fi, I see an anachronism. To be honest I just don't understand how you can write characters agender.

I mean no disrespect by saying that. I just think that gender plays a huge part in characterization, especially considering the time period most fantasy stories are set in. How do you effectively write not one but multiple agender characters?

Would you believe no one notices? (For instance, if I write an agender biological female who acts masculine in some ways, people tend to take her as a tomboy--and there's a very good chance tomboyish readers will like her!)

P.S. To be more clear, I utilize a core identity, like "loyal but spineless," or "friendly and curious," but gender doesn't enter into it unless the setting has strict gender roles. I write a loyal but spineless man and a loyal but spineless woman basically the same.

P.P.S. I don't mean to say that my characters don't have some stereotypically male or female traits--it's just that I try not to base these traits on whether the characters are biologically male or female. (And who says they have to be modern stereotypes? Why not stereotypes from the Victorian era, or the Middle Ages, or even ancient Greece?)

Last edited: