• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

WW2 and Fantasy?

Go watch the film 'Sucker Punch'. Firstly, it's a pretty cool film, with some amazing.. err.. costume design. ;)
But also it mixes a dream-like reality, with sci fi and fantasy flavoured alternate realities. One of the sequences involves the heroines arriving in an alternate world war 1 where the enemy are clockwork and steam-powered nazi zombies. There is also a much more fantasy-esque sequence involving armies of orcs and goblins, and an angry dragon, which the heroines fight using a WW2 bomber plane.

Should give you some ideas as to how you can apply fantasy/sci-fi elements to an alternate history setting in a contemporary way.

Hopefully without the terrible ending. ;)

Hmm . . . how about a Centaur in the Polish Calvary? Knowing very well that they’re not going to win, he holds out until his family escapes to Greece & such.

Another one could best be visually expressed as the Army of Mordor on the Beaches of Normandy to put an end on the Genocidal 3rd Reich.

For further visual referencing, I personally prefer Monster Musume for Biological purposes (imagine Harpies within the Airborne’s ranks), Interviews with Monster Girls for Power Level Purposes (Might want to have the Elves be snipers & the Giants hold large shields to protect the rest of the troops as they disembarked from the Higgins boats), and the Netflix movie Bright for technology & gear referencing.

I'm doing something similar myself and it has been done before in books and movies. "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" film did something similar. The truth is, you can make anything work. Maybe looking up some alternative History books would help