• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Yellow mushroom reach defCON level - pink

gavintonks

Maester
Pink as described as a warm and fuzzy colour and DefCon as the raising of conflict awareness, I am actually very pleased to see a new positive energy within the crit forum. People are embracing the criticism and seeing how to improve which is so refreshing. Far too often we see this malicious response from authors who think because we have answered and not to their liking, their knee jerk is to become spiteful and aggressive.

The board was started as a platform for positive growth and yes the criticism may, and is harsh at times but so what, it is not life threatening and guess what you may even learn something.

So hats off to the excited out there who are embracing and learning from the criticism. I feel a strong objective is to be the best that it can be and where else do you get an opportunity for well read passionate people to give of their valuable time?

Writing is not your blood or a vital organ that cannot sustain a jab, it is a creative process of stringing words together, to be vibrant and alive and compelling.The idea of a crit is to listen to what people have to say, however it is your choice to embrace or discard the advice [which is criticism] as you see fit. To respectfully thank the person who has spent valuable time on your work, should be a no "brainer" considering a professional crit would cost around US$50 and hour for the same as you get here.

If the response from crits is as positive as the ones I have noticed of late then I am sure more people will be more open and share their opinion, after all it is what you are asking for in the first place.

We have a word here in Africa called Abuntu - share with respect, and it is nice to see that feeling appearing here. Criticism is hard and honesty harder, but in a spirit of good will everything is easy and people understand it is not a personal attack on your character but an opinion on what you have created. Most everything Van Gogh painted will automatically make it to a gallery as some of his painting is better than others, but the art of being great is to continue until you are, and understanding what to embrace to make you great and what is personal / like chocolate versus vanilla ice cream it suits some peoples tastes and not others.