Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fight scenes.

Fight scenes.

Fight Scenes and Battles this may be useful.
    I just joined a lot of google plus communities and some of the posts are really useful
    ALB2012. The Light Beyond the Storm.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Light-Beyond.../dp/B0088DQO9C

2. Thanks J.D. Hallowell thanked for this post
    I like what Byerly says about pacing, but good lord, the examples she gives from her own work are atrocious. If two rivals are having an emotionally-charged swordfight, I do not want to read one's internal monologue the whole time and see only two sentences describing actual dueling.
    Hire me to create your book cover! Cover Design/Typography

It's a hodge-podge of good ideas, the kind of thing you can learn from but wish it wasn't so much to wade through.

Call it a crude but decent summary of a week with the Scribes.
    For more about the paranormal thriller SHADOWED and the Unified Writing Field Theory blog, see www.KenHughesAuthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by saellys View Post
    I like what Byerly says about pacing, but good lord, the examples she gives from her own work are atrocious. If two rivals are having an emotionally-charged swordfight, I do not want to read one's internal monologue the whole time and see only two sentences describing actual dueling.
    Agree 100%. Nothing takes me out of suspense more than long sections of internal thought during supposedly mortal combat.
    "What lasts in the reader's mind is not the phrase but the effect the phrase created: laughter, tears, pain, joy. If the phrase is not affecting the reader, what's it doing there? Make it do its job or cut it without mercy or remorse."
    - ISAAC ASIMOV

I'm confused, I thought the first scene with the sex slave was going to be some kind of "before and after" with that being the before. I was really excited to see the after, but there was none...
    Dan's Blogtastic Blog of Blogness
    "Contrary to popular belief, there is sometimes a vicious beauty to be found in my line of work."

I only read a bit. Yes I don't want someone internalising when someone else is trying to cut of his head with a long sword. Leave the monologue until after the fight.

I have to say I suspect in reality if you are fighting for your life there is no of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) nonsense. Just kick him in the wotsits or her in the belly and when they go down run them through
    Last edited by ALB2012; 1-5-13 at 6:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ALB2012 View Post
    I only read a bit. Yes I don't want someone internalising when someone else is trying to cut of his head with a long sword. Leave the monologue until after the fight.

I have to say I suspect in reality if you are fighting for your life there is no of the gentlemanly (or ladylike) nonsense. Just kick him in the wotsits or her in the belly and when they go down run them through
    I would make some exception for quippy dialogue by or between combatants but only if one or both are exceptionally skilled & comfortable in that situation. Even then, I would prefer this be very limited in scope.
    "What lasts in the reader's mind is not the phrase but the effect the phrase created: laughter, tears, pain, joy. If the phrase is not affecting the reader, what's it doing there? Make it do its job or cut it without mercy or remorse."
    - ISAAC ASIMOV

The Frontside of Nowhere, near the Tavern.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.Allen.Smith View Post
    I would make some exception for quippy dialogue by or between combatants but only if one or both are exceptionally skilled & comfortable in that situation. Even then, I would prefer this be very limited in scope.
    That idea reminds me of A Princess Bride and the fight between the Man in Black and Iņigo Montoya, they go here and there dueling like professionals and all the while chatter on about the different styles they could have used instead.

Portfolio Entries
    Here's a slightly better round-up of the fight scene thing - a lot more in depth and concise ...

The Skill List Project: Fight Scene Basics at SF Novelists

11. Thanks wordwalker, ALB2012, Butterfly, J.D. Hallowell thanked for this post
    Thanks another perspective is useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast