• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

NaNoWriMo 2015 Thread

Nimue

Auror
It doesn't seem like there are cabins for November--that's a summer Camp NaNo thing, right? I'm not terribly interested in using a Facebook page or the NaNo site, considering this place is also a forum for writers... Why don't we simply use this thread for discussion/support/check-in? Unless other people have a strong preference for starting a Mythic-Scribes specific thread on the NaNo forums or something.

I've never done the full 50k, so the wordcount meters and badges and stuff don't matter much for me. My past records are 16k, 16k, 8k, and around 2k (also know as failure) last year. Not a heartening trend... But I'm going to swallow my pessimism and set my goal at 10k this year. Working on my WIP, Wildwitch.

C

Chessie

The date is getting kind of close, and there doesn't seem to be any clear plans.

I've never participated before, and I'm not sure what's going on.
There's no cabins in November NaNo (ninj'd by Nimue). In the past, we've used one of these threads or the Facebook page to check in with each other.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I've been in cabins. It's essentially a place where a conversation can be held. As others have pointed out, we can do that here. We can also use the private messaging features here to share WIPs and have private talks.

The Nano site does show word counts for everyone in the cabin, so that's good for gloating. :) I suppose we could each agree to post, say twice a week, how many words we've done.

For myself, I don't need the structure. I've simply used the occasion of Nano to resolve to finish my second-pass editing on my novel, which really means writing a few scenes to completion, plus lots of copyediting. Word count won't be a very accurate indicator for me.

But I'm happy to cheer on my fellows, do some alpha reading, whatever, for the month.

C

Chessie

Nimue, the way to get higher word counts (in general, not just nano) is to do sprints. If you're interested in increasing your output of words, try doing them. Also, meeting with your local nanowrimo group helps immensely, take it from this mountain gal that doesn't like to leave her cabin much.

What's a word sprint? Set a timer to 5 mins then write as fast as you can. No stopping, no peeing, no sneezing, answering of telephones, just straight writing. When the time is up, count your words. Take a 10 min break, then do it again. Maybe increase your time the next round. Keep doing this and you'll build the habit of not only sitting down to write without interruption, but it will help consistently increase your word count.

Addison

Auror
I thought cabins were for summer, or times outside of NaNoWriMo.

I forgot to mention my NaNo name, Psuedonym-none.

I hope I'll be able to start on time. I'm moving North fairly soon and there's a lot that needs to happen that should have happened sooner then the actual move up. Please powers above let me get it done on time!

Nimue

Auror
Nimue, the way to get higher word counts (in general, not just nano) is to do sprints. If you're interested in increasing your output of words, try doing them. Also, meeting with your local nanowrimo group helps immensely, take it from this mountain gal that doesn't like to leave her cabin much.

What's a word sprint? Set a timer to 5 mins then write as fast as you can. No stopping, no peeing, no sneezing, answering of telephones, just straight writing. When the time is up, count your words. Take a 10 min break, then do it again. Maybe increase your time the next round. Keep doing this and you'll build the habit of not only sitting down to write without interruption, but it will help consistently increase your word count.

I just don't think I do my best writing when I'm going quickly--my inner editor has to have at least some input, or she freaks the heck out. I'm not terribly interested in ramping up my wordcount, except as a basic indicator of progress. I want to get scenes done to my standard, and sometimes word count isn't the best indicator of that, especially when I slide into meandery flowery mode. I don't think I'll ever do the 50k month--not in my speed class by a long shot.

I have been timing myself occasionally, not necessarily to go quickly or track my words but just to remain focused for a given period of time. Half-hour increments are a little more helpful than 10 minutes or less.

I signed up to do nano this year. I'm pretty excited to do it. It's time for me to push my writing out and stop holding back!

I am Lunaairis on their too.

Last edited:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The novel is created. I hope to wrap up the editing for the current project tonight (apart from minor details like a missing prologue and a couple of entire flashback chapters).

That'll give me three or four days to come up with an outline.

Tom

Istar
I'm doing the pre-NaNo freakout, where I try to get all the tangled character motivations and revamped plot points in order. Nothing like trying to remember which storyline you dropped months ago when you've got a 1k+ daily word count on your mind!

Right now I'm writing little columns for each character that list where they'll be at in terms of character development at the end of the story. I should really stop wasting my sketchpads by writing notes in them, but for some reason I think better writing on a clear sheet of drawing paper than in a ruled notebook.

C

Chessie

I'm doing the pre-NaNo freakout
Dude. Me, too. I woke up this morning thinking about plotting with this sick feeling in my stomach. I'm attempting to write 75k this month (3 novellas at 25k), which means I have 3 plots to start doing NAO. Btw Tom, may I recommend this book? It's straight to the point and simple. Good luck with your plotting. :)

Reactions: Tom

Gryphos

Auror
I'm feeling pretty good. I got my plot planned, I got my characters sorted, I got sick ideas. I just don't know how on earth I'm going to manage writing an average of 1666 words every day. It'll be fun!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Finished the current round of edits on the WIP (yes, I need to write a prologue and a couple of short chapters, but that can wait a while.)

Tomorrow, I dust off 'Labyrinth: Seed' and start trying to formulate an outline from where I left off.

Figure I'll try this in terms of two or three timed 30 minute stints each night, plus a few minutes worth of quick editing after each stint. No serious editing until after the bell rings. I was (sometimes) pulling 1000+ words per hour with that technique on the last novella. Might have been faster if I were not such a slow typist.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Still going over the outline, trying to correctly slot each of the amateur hour movie clips in my head. Doing this revealed several plot holes, which I've been resolving one by one. Big thing is, at this point I'm not sure if I have a 'conclusion' or a 'stopping point.'

6+ hours to midnight here, don't intend to start writing until tomorrow sometime.

Gryphos

Auror
It's only lunch time and I've gone above and beyond with 2864 words, otherwise known as the entire first chapter.