• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing a Synopsis

Lorna

Inkling
After completing draft 3.2 of my WIP I've decided it's time to have a crack at the synopsis for the first time.
This is the way I've approached it so far.
1) Chapter Outline
2) Summary
3) Keeping what's in the summary as the 'core' I've started editing down the Chapter Outline.

My main struggle is to introduce characters and places, giving brief examples of who they are and their roles without spoiling the flow.

I'm wondering what processes other writers use for writing synopses.

Are there any web sites where examples of fantasy synopses can be viewed? (I could only find romance, mystery and horror). I feel with fantasy and sci fi it's doubly difficult writing a synopsis because you're introducing a new world and mythical races.

So far I'm only reasonably happy the opening for my synopsis. Am I on the right track?

'JARAD, a pyric warrior is forced by XHAMOURA, the visionary ruling Atara, to kill an old friend as punishment for concealing his relationship with the dragons. Xhamoura gives Jarad an ultimatum; to keep his position as Atara’s Champion he must take the dragons to burn the town of Lanbucca, kill its young visionary and return with her heart.
Able to walk between the material and elemental planes, Jarad escapes through the latter to the volcanoes on a fiery steed...'

The Complete Nobody's Guide to Query Letters talks a bit about synopsises, or at least includes a half decent one, as I recall.

For a short synopsis, I would say you don't need to introduce too many characters or places; only the bare bones necessary to get the plot across. However, I think that in your case you need to add another name: you introduce Xhamoura as a 'visionary' but later say that Jarad is sent to kill it's young 'visionary'. After a couple of reads I'm guessing visionary is a title not a descriptor but this is not obvious and even if you replaced visionary with a word like prince or king it would still be confusing: you might as well name the target since it is her connection to Jarad, not her social status, that gives emotional weight to Jarad's plight.

Addison

Auror
Before you send a synopsis you want to send in the query letter. Query letters should follow this basic format: business format. After the "Dear Ms. Smith" greeting, or whatever the editor or agent is, plunge right in with a one or two paragraph description of your book. It's a back-cover blurb stuff and you want to hook their interest right away. DON'T start by introducing yourself, that's dull and boring (no offense I'm just copying from this book) and agents want to see if you can grab an audience. In the next paragraph explain why you're sending your query to this particular agent/editor so they know you're not just mass-blasting queries. Like you found their web-page and figured they'd be interested. Or if you know authors the agent represented you can say "I love the work you did with/for Mercedes Lackey's career and thought you'd be interested in my work too." "I like your client's Stephen King's books and I write in a similar vein." Or if you met this person at a writer's conference then say so. In the final paragraph give information about yourself. Any work that's been published in papers or magazines. "By way of introduction, my short stories have been published in..." If you have no writing credentials then skip this part. Close with something like "I have a synopsis and full manuscript if you'd like to see it. Thank you for your time, Sincerely," And you're done.

As for synopsis....try looking up a movie on google and clicking the IMBd's link. Some movies have available synopsis. I read that one page of synopsis should cover....actually I think it has to do with the book itself. But here's how it's suggested in Writer's Digest:

5 Tips on How to Write a Synopsis
Before sending your book proposal out to potential literary agents, here are some suggested elements you should include while writing a synopsis:

Narrative Arc. A synopsis conveys the narrative arc, an explanation of the problem or plot, the characters, and how the book or novel ends. It ensures character actions and motivations are realistic and make sense. It summarizes what happens and who changes from beginning to end of the story. It gives agents a good and reliable preview of your writing skills.
Active Voice. Agents look for good writing skills. Let yours shine in your synopsis by using active voice and third person.
Unique Point of View. An agent is usually looking for an idea of fresh or unique elements. Is your plot cliche or predictable? Have elements that set your story apart from other things they have seen.
Story Advancement. A synopsis should include the characters’ feelings and emotions. Use these elements to advance your plot and story.
Write Clearly. Focus on clarity in your writing and avoid wordiness. Remember, less is more.
What to Avoid When Writing a Synopsis
While there is no universal standard for the length of a book or novel synopsis, agents usually favor one to two pages, single-spaced. Sometimes an agent might ask for a chapter outline instead, which is a synopsis of each chapter. Here are some tips on what to avoid when writing a synopsis:

Mentioning too many characters or events.
Including too much detail about plot twists and turns. You don’t want to tell the entire story. What you want to do is write a book summary with enough detail about the plot to intrigue the reader or agent.
Unnecessary detail, description, or explanation. Make each word in your synopsis count.
Editorializing your novel or book. Don’t use “…in a flashback,” or “…in a poignant scene.” If you have a confusing series of events and character interactions, not only will your reader be confused, but a potential agent will be too.
Writing back cover copy instead of a synopsis. Don’t go astray and write a hook to intrigue a reader to buy a book or an agent to request a manuscript. Focus on summarizing your novel or book.
The Synopsis Format
Friedman gives some of the best tips for formatting a synopsis. She recommends beginning with a strong paragraph identifying your protagonist, problem or conflict, and setting. The next paragraph should convey any major plot turns or conflicts necessary and any characters that should be mentioned in order for your book summary to make sense to whomever is reading it. Lastly, she recommends indicating how major conflicts are resolved in the last paragraph. This ensures a clear presentation of your book or novel and doesn’t leave the reader confused.

Lorna

Inkling
Some great advice there Addison, thanks. Particularly the 'do nots' - I'm guilty of most of them so far. Glad of the early warning :)

Everything you write when you interact with these people needs to be a "hook". If you are writing something for clarity's sake and it is not something you think people will be going "wow, that's cool, I'd like to see how that works", then I would say cut it out of the synopsis.

Also, a lot of agents, publishers, reviewers, etc have their own guidelines on what they want and don't want. Personalize as much as you can.

Addison

Auror
No matter who or what you're submitting to you really REALLY want to look at their guidelines for submitting. Some only take queries, some only synopsis, some a query and the first five pages or some publishers will take the full manuscript I think. You need to read the fine print.