• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Weapon for the Protagonist.

Wanara009

Troubadour
The 3 main protagonists of my main project are sisters. The eldest wield a trident, the middle sister (the narrator narrator) wield a sabre, while the last wield a broadsword. The male protagonist wield an heirloom weapon. Its a blunt bident he used as a walking staff which can generate blade that can phase through anything but flesh and bone though he prefers to lay the beat down with his bare hand.

I also have two side projects set in the same universe. The protagonists of those are a vigilante-disguised-as-a-beggar and an sellsword that fight with bare-hand and length of chains respectively.

Hi,

My latest is a paladin, Yorik. His primary weapon is a greatsword, magically smithed for hardness and edge, which he enhances with his divine magic. He also uses two double strand crossbows which again he can enhance with his magic. But in addition to the enhancements he places on his weapons he can magically enhance himself as well, making himself faster and stronger touse them more effectively.

Cheers, Greg.

There are several school of swordsmanship in my current story, so a few of my characters use various swords (since they trained at such schools). One character however, is a wizard. The wizards in my story use an object to channel their magic. This can be anything from a stone to an axe to a tree branch, but most of them use a weapon. So the wizard who helps the MC uses a spear. When he fights, he basically uses a form of martial art while channeling spells with the spear. for example, take Prince Oberon's fighting style from Game of Thrones and mix it with firebending... that should give you some kind of idea as to how this fighting style works.

Since my current story is for a video game the main character's weapons are game mechanic oriented. They should all play pretty differently from each other.

Erin Quinn is a veteran of the Great War and so she was trained in swordsmanship as well as fire arms. Since she was a veteran she is one of the two thousand survivors who were Knighted and gifted with an enchanted glove. She has the right glove and with the right glove she has power over Fire, Water, Stone and Air. Kind of like a full metal alchemist thing, snapping her fingers produces fire, wither its a bolt or a smear she has no control over as magic in this world is a little chaotic when you don't bind it and properly summon it. So she's kind of like a mage in this world.

Saif Azul (erin's detective partner) Is a swords man. He has a simple police issued long sword. He is your basic warrior class.

Sayana Plata (another detective) Has an Ancestral gun- Its metal was tempered with the sea water around lae lumas which is said to house the souls of the world. If a person dies while using something metal that has been tempered with this sea water, it is said their soul inhabits the object. Her gun is currently possessed by her fathers soul (her father died in the War.) The gun may have some magical properties. She is supposed to play more like a rogue.

Ajara Naiumber (Blessings and magics expert for the station) is also a veteran of the Great War and also received a glove for his time there. He tends to use a sword more often but he does have a glove. He has the left glove though. The left glove has been enchanted with blood(steal life force from something), life(heal something), void(gravity trapping and paralysis) and energy (electric shielding.) He is kind of like the paladin of the group.

So I've been thinking, most of our protagonists have weapons they use, but really how unique are they in the sense of the entire world, does your protagonist carry a slingshot and fight dragons, or a simple branch that can pierce through armour?, what weapons do your protagonists use in story...
For me, one uses a simple dagger made of rock and bone and another, just a machete.
Special flaming daggers, but nothing extraordinary

Jason

Scribe
One of my main characters is a skaldier, a soldier trained with a skalda. The skalda is an arquebus-like weapon charged with blastsalt, a crystalline explosive. A skalda cartridge holds two portions of blastsalt, each just above half the critical mass, separated by a paper disc - and a lead ball. A spring in the skalda is primed by breaking the stock when loading. Clasping the trigger compresses the cartridge, blasting out the ball and generating clouds of scalding steam. Protective leather gear is needed to wield the weapon effectively.
(Another guy uses a poleaxe.)

pmmg

Myth Weaver
The weapons that appear in my story would be the usual fare for any swords and sorcery type story.

One weapon, I could not find an exact match on, so I made up a word. Another I can to question, and then changed as well, was a morning star...cause there are no stars that any of the characters can see. I subbed in mor-macil, which may be real, but I found very little actual evidence for. Otherwise, spears, axes, straight swords, curved swords, maces, arrows, mauls...and the like have been spread around the story. Along those lines, I have also made up weapon materials for story reasons. Not all the weapons are steel.

These threads are somewhat old though. The OP'er is probably not coming back.

Hi,

Actually I've been moving a little way away from weapons. In my last couple of books, they're both urban - one sci fi, on detective - and my heroes pretty much have to go unarmed to most parties or at most have a pistol since she'd an FBI agent. But the one before that - Bound - my hero was a mage powered by unicorn blood. He actually had a horn on his forehead and a load of unicorn gifts. (But also unicorn problems - like losing his mind in the magic of the herd / beast every so often, and being unable to lock anything, because nothing is ever locked for a unicorn!)

Before that I had one guy take on an alien supersonic shuttle in a glider!

Cheers, Greg.

Pendleton Naime

One of the main characters in my story fights with a giant metal file. It's effectively a metal cricket bat with some grooves on the flat end, so needless to say it's preformance as a weapon is underwhelming. If you ask her why she uses it instead of something more conventional, she'll ramble on about how the file is "symbolic" of how a hero has to wear away at evil over time.

CourierWarren

I have one character, Tianvel, who grew up in a mercenary camp, and as a result he was taught how to use a variety of polearms, primarily a bardiche, which is used simmilarly to how the Russian streltsy used theirs to prop up weapons similar in shape to an arquebus called railbows*, using the bardiche when the enemy gets to close to them. Tianvel doesn't use a railbow though, as he was never expected to actually be on the battlefield, but he makes this up through the use of a small army's worth of throwing knives, which he can accelerate to speeds comparable to a railbow flechette through use of magic.
In combat, the bardiche allows Tianvel to keep his opponents at arms length and deal decent blows to armored targets, while his daggers give him a good mid-ranged option that can be used to distabalize opponents. Later in the story, after he found himself on the run from every fool with a dagger in the Empire, he scrapped his old weapons and replaced them with a glaive and daggers made from Wyrm's teeth, this combined with a refinement of his magic allowed him to suspend the daggers around him in a field so he can use his magic to throw them without having to actually put hands on them, allowing him to use his glaive with both hands while simultaniusly using his daggers to harry his opponents.
Matriana, another character in the same setting, started off using a hand-and-a-half sword and a buckler, summoning animal companions to aid her in battle**, She used a sword primarily because it was a noble's weapon, and she did have a reputation to uphold, and the buckler because it was just common sense, using a mostly defensive style that focused on punishing an opponent for any mistep, which synergized with her use of a summoned northern wyvern (Which looks nothing like how you are probably imagining it), to harry her opponent from the sky. This style would go through some darastic changes once she finds herself fighting anywhere else than on the dueling ring, her style evolved became much more agressive, overwhelming her opponent with vicious halberd strikes and natural weaponry she borrowed from her bonded animals (as in used her bond with the animals she summonds to alter her own body, using the physical traits of the bonded creature as a blueprint of sorts).

*Railbows are pretty much just in-line crossbows that fire steel flechettes and have a draw weight upwards of 400lbs. The only reason such a weapon is even feasible is because strength-granting magic is very common, and magical materials exist, however the secrets of its creation are jealously guarded by the Witheuwen company's artificers.

**Which is far more scary than you think, as early on in the history of evolution in this world, Wyrms ended up kind of just appearing from beyond the Null (that being the ever-hungering space between realms that stands as a testimate to mankind's hubris. Really makes the morning commute a hassle) and did about everything you expect dragons to do, which kind of put a massive evolutionary pressure on literally everything in existance to adapt around literal dragons. It is for this reason (along with more than a little divine intervention from a panicking Vaelia) that almost every still surviving species in the realm is purpose-built to--at the very least--be able to get hit by a locomotive and come out unscathed. The only reason Humanity survived long enough to become the dominant species in this world is because they learned how to use magic.