• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Best Discworld books?

AngelaRCox

Dreamer
As a US reader, I'll confirm that Mort and Reaper Man are different books (I read Reaper Man before I got my hands on Mort--I read out of order :) )
As for where to start, I have to know a person's interests to know where to direct them. There's something for everyone *somewhere* in the series, but you have to know where to look. But part of what I LOVE about the Discworld books is that it doesn't matter where you start, or what order you read in. There are orders that are beneficial, but even if you ignore those entirely it's possible to piece everything together.
I second the people who recommended standalones, especially Small Gods. That was my introduction, because I was in 5th grade and I judged a book by its cover and decided Soul Music (which I love now) was "too mature" for me, but let's read the one with the turtle on the cover. If you've read Small Gods, which satires religious fundamentalism and corruption, you'll see immediately why this is kinda funny.
If you like procedurals and suspense, go with the Watch books: Guards! Guards!, for instance. If you like literary allusions and small town stuff/provincial intrigue, go with the witch books: Lords and Ladies, for instance. If you like supernatural and existential themes (outsider's view on humanity kind of thing), the Death books (my favorite): Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music, etc. The Rincewind books tend to deal with travel adventures (The Colour of Magic, for instance), and anything dealing heavily with the wizards is going to provide some academic/scientific satire (Unseen Academicals was excellent, it's probably my brother's favorite). The Tiffany Aching sequence is good if you want coming of age/ YA style and is solid writing.
Outside of Discworld, I love love love the Bromeliad trilogy (also YA), which is kinda like The Borrowers but with Pratchett's trademark satirical comedy and recognizable character development.
Anyway, that's how I do Pratchett recommendations. :)

Dark Squiggle

Troubadour
The Light Fantastic. I've read them all, and yes, this is the first one I read, but it really has the widest scope of all the books, and actually ties up nicely in the end, unlike The Color of Magic, which is a mess like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, I guess every writer needs a book to ramble in. But Twoflower is my favorite character, Rincewind and the Luggage are at their best, The book has the best opening (falling off the world) and the best subplot (The Red Star). Okay, none of the really fun later characters like Death or the Watchmen or Granny have appeared, but unfortunately it was written first, so what can you do.