• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What Happen's after the Hero's or You saved the world now what?

Helen

Inkling
"Humans write to figure out how things are." - Varric Tethras, Dragon Age Inquistion. Party banter.

Recently I bought a copy of "The Anatomy of Story: 22 Steps to Becoming a Master Storyteller", I haven't finished it do to my reading backlog, I'm slow to finish none fiction. I'm glad that I bought it because something in those early pages blew my mind. The fact that so many stories are tales of maturation, even stories that aren't obvious coming of age stories.

The Hero or Heroine begins their respective journey as figurative or literally children possessing traits associated with being immaturity and or weakness, and through the events of the story are molded into an adult by then of the story.

This revelation was mind blowing because it answered one question that had bugged me for years.

"Why does the story end right when the Hero has gotten their stuff together and is ready to do battle with Godlings?"

I can't be the only person who's had that question buzzing around in their skulls?

The answer is that the story was about the transformation of a weak and immature individual into a strong productive adult. All the trials and tribulations through out the story were there to facilitate the transformation of the hero. Thus once a Hero has come into their power the story ends, because the story was about the rise to power/maturity not what to do now that you've attained those qualities?

In essence many stories,especially among the most beloved are about "becoming" rather than "doing". The Star Wars Original Trilogy for example.

The Prequel Trilogy was about a Villain Becoming or the Villain's Journey.

I've yet to see a version of it that I'd consider definitive, however This is the first one that I'd stumbled across.

The Hero's Journey is about growing up...so what happens afterwards? What's the story about navigating the world of power and adult responsibility, what happens after the evil Overlord has been beaten?

Have the steps of a Post Hero's Journey ever been mapped out?

It's a cycle. It repeats.

Thor / Zeus rise to the top, they become Gods. That's one cycle.

Then the Gods develop imperfections and the cycle repeats. Or they become mentors helping others learn the lessons.

It comes back down to theme and the message you want to communicate.

The maturation is symbolic clothing; maturity is demonstrated as the lessons are learned; two arcs that run side by side.

It's a cycle. It repeats.

Thor / Zeus rise to the top, they become Gods. That's one cycle.

Then the Gods develop imperfections and the cycle repeats. Or they become mentors helping others learn the lessons.

It comes back down to theme and the message you want to communicate.

The maturation is symbolic clothing; maturity is demonstrated as the lessons are learned; two arcs that run side by side.

@ Helen
What I need is, a layout of the plot points and common elements of sequels.

and or...

A write up of the plot points,themes and character for at least two(ideally all) of the media that I've listed as examples of a post Hero's Journey.

A link to an such article,essay, would be very helpful.