• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Mood Patterns

Laurence

Inkling
As I plot my WIP I’ve been colour labelling chunks (potential chapters) based on the mood of the scene and have noticed a pretty consistent pattern of blue (positive) through the spectrum to red and back down, rinse and repeat.

Do you find that your novel tends to do so as well or have you noticed any patterns of your own? Do you try to plot the mood of each chapter in your writing at all or do you find this makes things too predictable?

Taniwha

Scribe
I
As I plot my WIP I’ve been colour labelling chunks (potential chapters) based on the mood of the scene and have noticed a pretty consistent pattern of blue (positive) through the spectrum to red and back down, rinse and repeat.

Do you find that your novel tends to do so as well or have you noticed any patterns of your own? Do you try to plot the mood of each chapter in your writing at all or do you find this makes things too predictable?
I've never even thought of plotting moods in mine. TBH the 'mood' rarely lifts out of the tense / sad / dark zones lol

Laurence

Inkling
Aye fair enough. I just think I want my story to be similar to the likes of The Name of the Wind where you get to take breaks in the form of lovely magical lessons and playfighting. Getting that balance of serious to fun sections right is playing on my mind.