1. Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us.

Association patterns

Discussion in 'Writing Discussions' started by Svrtnsse, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Consider the following:
    I've intentionally picked two gender neutral names. Do you think you'd assume that the first one is mother, or the second one? If I changed the first line to Father and mother, do you think you'd assume Taylor was the father.
    In other words, does the order in which I write the gender specific words affect how you interpret the gender neutral names?

In my story I picked less neutral names, so it should be obvious who's who, but at the time it got me thinking and I decided I'd share the thought here.

2. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Yes, i would associate them with the order you listed them in. Taylor = mother, Jordan = Father

Svrtnsse likes this.
  3. Scribe Lord

Scribe Lord Minstrel

Yes. I thought Taylor was the mother and Jordan was the father simply because that matched the top line.

Svrtnsse likes this.
  4. Svrtnsse

Svrtnsse Staff Article Team

Cheers guys. Empirical evidence proves the theory beyond unreasonable doubt. :D

5. Heliotrope

Heliotrope Staff Article Team

Carry on then! ;)

6. CupofJoe

CupofJoe Myth Weaver

There is psychological proof [I helped in the study - but I don't know if it got published] that without reference Male names are placed first in order in something like 70 to 80% of the time, if there was no prompt to not order them differently.

Svrtnsse likes this.