• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Goddess for arthurian legends based fantasy world?

Been planning a novel and I decided to base it on Arthurian legends which is fine there is enough content and different ways to tell the legend that can I do quite a lot with it.

Problem is I need some Goddesses for my story, but after looking I couldn't really find any related to Arthurian Legends.

In the end I settled with the nine sorceresses that are in some version of the story, only problem is the names for them are so obscure that I can't find any meanings or pronunciations for them.

Two of them I got Morgan(Who I have plans for in the plot) and is well known enough and Thitis the only name I could find a pronunciation for plus in some versions of the legend two of the sisters share the same name so I am spinning it so one them had a split personality.

So I need 6 names for goddesses any ideas and I don't want to use just any random name and kind of want readers to recognise or at least be able to pronounce and remember.

Insolent Lad

Maester
Despite the Christian surface of the Arthurian legends, there is a layer of Celtic myth below it. You might want to look into the various goddesses of the pre-Christian Britons, or Gaelic/Gaulish/Welsh tradition. There's always Rhiannon from Welsh myth, of course, whom many would find familiar.

I'm getting sort of a greek feel with names like Morgan and Thitis. Is this what you're going for name-wise?

Honestly consistency is what I am going for Arthurian tends to be a mix of Greek, Roman and Celtic so there is a wide few to work with, but I don't want names to be two different from each other either.

Despite the Christian surface of the Arthurian legends, there is a layer of Celtic myth below it. You might want to look into the various goddesses of the pre-Christian Britons, or Gaelic/Gaulish/Welsh tradition. There's always Rhiannon from Welsh myth, of course, whom many would find familiar.

Thanks did some digging and Gwenhwyfar was listed for a Welsh deities and looking into it I found that her origins can be traced to a goddess which is quite interesting and gives me some ideas it I used her.

Gurkhal

Auror
Been planning a novel and I decided to base it on Arthurian legends which is fine there is enough content and different ways to tell the legend that can I do quite a lot with it.

Problem is I need some Goddesses for my story, but after looking I couldn't really find any related to Arthurian Legends.

In the end I settled with the nine sorceresses that are in some version of the story, only problem is the names for them are so obscure that I can't find any meanings or pronunciations for them.

Two of them I got Morgan(Who I have plans for in the plot) and is well known enough and Thitis the only name I could find a pronunciation for plus in some versions of the legend two of the sisters share the same name so I am spinning it so one them had a split personality.

So I need 6 names for goddesses any ideas and I don't want to use just any random name and kind of want readers to recognise or at least be able to pronounce and remember.

What kind of goddesses are we talking about here and what "feel" do you want for them? A savage warrior goddess like "Eris" could use a different name than a regal "Queen of Heaven" goddess like Hera who could use a different name from a sensual love goddess like Aphrodite.

So, what kind of goddesses are we looking at here?

What kind of goddesses are we talking about here and what "feel" do you want for them? A savage warrior goddess like "Eris" could use a different name than a regal "Queen of Heaven" goddess like Hera who could use a different name from a sensual love goddess like Aphrodite.

So, what kind of goddesses are we looking at here?

I would say war/savage, nature , huntress, darkness, light and I guess spiritual/wise would be the main themes I'm going for.

Gurkhal

Auror
Ok, here are some.

Probably more Norse than anything but these are some suggestions.

Uroxia
Alondra
Riva
Erua
Torlanda
Mossa
Stierna
Wyllmara
Galdra
Sejdinna
Ruona
Galrova
Aleyja
Rigga
Ljusala

Interloper

What about the daughters of Brychan Brycheiniog, the legendary 5th-century king of Breconshire in South Wales. He had many children who tended to have multiple versions of their names. So pick the best or most pronounceable. The daughters in Cornish sources:
Almedha (also known as Aled, Electa, Eled, Elevetha, Elined, Ellyw, Filuned, Luned, Lynette)
Dwynwen (Donwen, Donwenna, Donwen, Dunwen, Dwyn, Adwen, Adwenna)
Endellion of Tregony (Endelient, Endelienda, Endelienta)
Gladys (Gwladys, Gwaladys, Gladusa, Gwladus, Claudia)
Gwen of Tagarth (Blanche, Candida, Genuissa, Wenn, Wenna)
Ilud Ferch Brychan (Hudd, Juliot, Juliana, Llud)
Keyna (Keyne, Cain, Ceinwan, Ceinwen)
Nennoc (Gwengustle, Gwencuff, Nennoca, Nennocha, Nenoc, Nenooc, Ninnoc, Ninnocha
Teath (Tetha, Tedda, Tedha)
Tydfil (or Tudful)
Veep (Gwenagwy, Vepa, Vepe, Weep, Wennapu, Wepe, Wymp)
Mabon (Mabyn, Mabena),
Merewenne (or Marwenna),
Yse (Issey, Ida),
Morwenna (or Merewenne )
Menfre (Menefrewy, Menefrida).