• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Kill this Thread

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I predict Bazil would have won.

That reminds me.

Bazil v. Vollifer said:
Leopards loomed over the sprawled form of the general. The golden mane of Bazil Whirlwhick held him flat like a dinner plate. The birds, the skies, and the very earth bent to Bazil's command. But Whirlwhick didn't move. He was listening to the leopards' growls, and he began to chuckle.

"Stop!" Bazil said loudly to the beasts, and they obeyed. "I'm always in search for another strong animal companion." He pointed to the chariot, and a large vulture swooped upon the silver and gold carriage, latched its talons around a vial of swirling green and red potion, and carried it back to Bazil's hands. He took it with a smile.

"Raise your voices!" he called to the crowds all around him, holding up the small potion flask for everyone to see, "if you want to watch a vile human being TRANSFORMED into my obedient vial beast!"

From every direction the crowd thundered and cheered and stomped their feet against the bleachers. Bazil's fans stripped off their shirts and struck muscled, flexing poses. Cat calls and whistles echoed through the ring. Some of the younger women looked jealously upon General Vollifer, yearning for his fate.

Baz - il - Whirl - whick! - Baz - il - Whirl - whick!

Bazil held out his finger and gave a disapproving, panoramic point to the crowd. They stopped their cheering for a long and awkward moment. Then Bazil began to laugh, and the crowds followed suit.

Luck - y - Whick - ey! - Luck - y - Whick - ey!

"This wick BURNS!" he bellowed out to the bleachers, and flashes of smoke and fire puffed up from every corner of the stands. The crowds roared back to him.

Amid their cheers Bazil approached the prone figure locked in his hair. General Vollifer struggled against the strained golden strands. As Bazil neared, Vollifer pulled one of his wrists to the scabbard at his side, where he managed to slice the hairs against the General's Blade. Shaking his hand free, Vollifer drew the sword and struck it through the web of gold. Hairs flecked upon the ground.

"Burn you will," Vollifer yelled, getting to his feet and holding out his sword. "Be certain your pyre will be hot."

The crowds began to hiss and the leopards began to circle. Bazil held up his hands for silence, then he clasped them together. Vines shot up from the ground and wrapped around Vollifer's legs and arms, yanking the sword out of his hand. The crowds burst with cheers.

Bazil approached with the vial, and Vollifer spat in his face. "I'm still going to kill you," he snapped and the crowd gasped. Bazil laughed. Vines and trimmed golden hairs reached out and worked together to hold open Vollifer's jaw.

"This won't be as hard to swallow," Bazil said as he shoved the opening of the vial into Vollifer's throat and forced his mouth closed. Then he stepped back.

Vollifer's face turned red and a little green. He coughed violently, spitting out blood. His jaw swelled and his body cringed. And then he let out a scream louder than the crowds, more painful to the ears of onlookers than even Bazil's puns. The irises of his eyes darkened to yellow, then brown, then black. His pupils faded out, then flashed red like they were backlit with fire. Horns shot up from his head and tusks lurched out from his jaw. His body turned green; his face, blood red. Claws sprouted from his toes and fingers while a scaled green tail writhed in fits as it sprung from his rump. Then his back grew heavy and his breasts swelled forward, breaking open his armor with a clang and thunk upon the ground. His chest was like tightened leather, but the rest of his leering frame was bedecked in scales. Vollifer rose up nine - then twelve feet, a great beast looming over Bazil with a roar that was faintly heard amid the deafening cries of the crowd. Then the leather of his chest began to move and unfold to spread out behind him, a pair of massive red wings as wide as the ring.

The lead leopard of the general's chariot could be drugged separately, released from the chariot and sent upon Vollifer's foes; this was one of its potions, an expensive concoction as risky as it is effective. In a massive overdose, Vollifer had become a twisted cross between a demon and a dragon, the wrong kind of beast for a druid to control.

"Uhm . . . oops," Bazil croaked.

Kaellpae

Inkling
I don't know most of the characters in the MFMA challenges. Otherwise I would have jumped in on it.

For the challenges I'm currently in. I only have time to write during the weekend, but I try to brainstorm throughout the week. Sorry for my erratic posting times.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Ranieri vs. Baird

The new blade was lighter than he’d have liked, but it was the only replacement Ranieri could find for his broken shiavona. He was of course schooled in the tactics of many blades, but he preferred his wide cutting sword to the thrusting blades the southern masters preferred. With Guerrante off his back for the moment, Ranieri had spent what little money he had left on some new trinkets.

Baird. Ranieri hadn’t seen his opponent’s fight, but he heard of it in the tavern as he celebrated his own victory over a pint. Actually, Ranieri was anticipating a good show. Baird had the good fortune of fighting the only other gentleman the tournament boasted, and if their last matches were any indication of what was to come, the odds should be even.
As Baird strode confidently into the courtyard, Ranieri pulled the strings of his cape.

“You are on time,” Baird smiled smugly, pocketing his timepiece. “Good, I like a man who turns up punctually to die.”

Ranieri chuckled. He’d fought many men in his lifetime, and one fact rang forever true, the pretty ones could only stand the sight of blood when it wasn’t their own. “I am merely ready to get this over with,” he called confidently. “This tournament only has room for one sharp dresser. I guess we shall see today who moves on.”

“Indeed.” The gentleman tugged at the bottom of his pinstriped waistcoat and then dusted the shoulder of his wool jacket, but not before Ranieri caught the glint of metal from within it.

So there would be more than blades pulled before it was done, Ranieri thought, glad he’d taken the time to purchase his new additions. He’d need a full arsenal to compete with the inventive weapons the mysterious foreigner had used before.

As the adjudicator left the field, Ranieri drew his new blade and stepped into an angled stance, making him lighter on his feet in case a pistol should appear first.

Baird drew a slender blade, not unlike the one in Ranieri’s hand. Rapiers. So it would be a match of wits after all.

Closing the distance quickly, Ranieri advanced, feinted and thrust, Baird easily sidestepping. It was expected, and Ranieri spun his cape around, catching his opponent’s blade up. Baird withdrew, regaining his blade. Pain burst in Ranieri’s left arm and warmth spread with the red stain.

Ranieri retreated, and as soon as he was at a safe distance drew the small metal projectile from his arm. So the first blood was his. He clumsily flung the metal star back in Baird’s direction.

Baid lunged, narrowly missing Ranieri’s sword arm, and Ranieri again used his cape, this time to catch Baird’s sword hand. He pulled the strings, immobilizing the arm across his own body. With his blade ineffective and he off balance, he struck his opponent in the side of the head with his hilt. Baird staggered back as Ranieri readied for another attack.

Back and forth the two men advanced and retreated. A few more sloppy thrusts were thrown, but none landed. Baird was better with a sword than Ranieri had given him credit for.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Anihow, did you have this written but just not know where to post?

In any case, I love it! I hope the MFMA didn't die from confusion.

Kaellpae, no problem about posting times. Your writing is awesome, so jump into whatever challenges you can. (Also, don't forget your guy leveled in Quest of the Week.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
It's Monday. I can work with...

Well, it's bed time in Japan, going on Tuesday. I can see how it seems too late to start the prompt from your perspective.

Shenoka Season 2 is more than welcome. The Cleaner wants to do a job for Foulshade. I have other plans for her, too.

Also, the new Quest of the Week is up. Anyone who's thinking about joining that, feel free to bring a character on board and jump right in for some make-it-up-as-you-along adventuring.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
The Legendary Sidekick proudly presents:
The Bummer of the Day

I was just checking my yahoo email, which normally highlights emails from prople in your address book. One of those highlighted emails was from my karate teacher. The other was from R.A. Salvatore.

I thought, oh cool! I haven't heard from Bob in a couple years. What's he want from me?

Nothing. It was one of those junk mails that pulls a random address. Apparently, today is the day my junk mail folder fails to weed this stuff out.

And that, my friends, is the Bummer of the Day.

(Fade to black.

Cue Mozart's Requiem in D Minor: Intoitus and Lacrimosa.)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Poo poo. Sorry to hear that Sidekick.

Maybe this will lift you up?

I was just thinking, what is the longest thread on Mythic Scribes? Is it this one? Surely there must be one longer. Anyone who can report back to me and tell me, then I'll give you a (digital) cookie.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
This is the longest thread in the challenge forum. Ironically, it's the thread that was supposed to die.

If anyone can guess why Mozart's Requiem in D Minor: Intoitus and Lacrimosa is the official theme music for The Bummer of the Day, I'll give you some digital milk to go with the digital cookie... and two digital glasses, in case the cookie winner and milk winner are different people and have to share.

EDIT - I win the cookie. This is the longest thread. 2nd & 3rd place can be found in the World Building forum. ("What is essentially good and evil?" with 255 replies and "Show your map" with 252.)

Now, someone hurry up and win the digital milk before I eat Phil's cookie and drink the milk myself.

(Milk currently in fridge while I wait for Phil to hand over the cookie.)

Last edited:

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Here's the cookie.

*Picture not inserted due to laziness*

Wow, I can't believe this is the longest thread. Even though it's died like 5 times.

Answer: Anything in D Minor is really depressing?

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
No milk for you!

(Eats cookie; drinks milk.)

Second chance: Of all the despressing tunes in D Minor, why did I go out of my way to specifically pick Mozart's Requiem in D Minor: Intoitus and Lacrimosa for the theme music for The Bummer of the Day?

Winner gets a glass of milk with kahlua.

Easier question. What is the most-viewed thread in MS?

Winner gets a glass of chocolate milk... and a brownie if you tell how many views.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Looks like "Fantasy Cliches to Avoid." 2,119 views. Is that it?

Answer #2: Lacrimosa means bummer in Latin?

Ailith

Minstrel
Second chance: Of all the despressing tunes in D Minor, why did I go out of my way to specifically pick Mozart's Requiem in D Minor: Intoitus and Lacrimosa for the theme music for The Bummer of the Day?
Cause it's a bummer that Mozart died before he could finish it? I got to play for it once, and it's just one of those pieces that is powerful no matter how many times you hear it. Imagine how much more amazing it would be if he had finished it!

Or maybe you're using it as an homage to 30 Rock's homage to Amadeus? (ok, that a long shot, but that's one of the best 30 Rock episodes ever.)

Whatever the reason, good pick.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Ailith gets a sip for guessing it's a homage. But watch out... Reaver's here, and he might get it.

2,000 isn't even close to the most-viewed. No milk for you!

Reaver

Staff
The most viewed thread...THE FIRST EVER REAVER TRIGGER CHALLENGE?

MILK AND KAHLUA is the drink of JEFF LEBOWSKI in "THE BIG LEBOWSKI".

F**K IT WALTER.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Close enough, Reaver.

[video=youtube_share;24Vlt-lpVOY]http://youtu.be/24Vlt-lpVOY[/video]

As for the most-viewed thread, I'm talking about the whole site... but yes, your Reaver challenged dethroned my Legendary Sidekick challenge.

Reaver gets half a glass of milk (Ailith's fault for taking too big a sip), and the other half is filled with kahlua. As a result, the milk and kahlua looks exactly like chocolate milk and Reaver drank the wrong glass.

To win a glass of milk with too great a kahlua-to-milk ratio, guess the most-viewed thread on the site. If you include the view-count, I'll add some digital vodka to the milk with too great a kahlua-to-milk ratio and call it a Tan Russian.

(I'd offer the brownie like before, but Reaver ate it to wash the horrible taste from the chocolate milk. You'll have to ask him how that would solve the problem, and not just be an excuse to eat the brownie that he didn't win.)

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I give up. What's the most viewed thread?

At this rate it's going to be this one if I keep posting asinine stuff.

EDIT: Anybody care to share their map? In the world-building. 6,477 views.

Wow, really? I guess maps are cooler than I thought.

New challenge, maybe it's easy. Which member has the highest number of reputation points? Ohhhhhh...

Last edited:

Ailith

Minstrel
Thoughts On Self-Publishing!!! 11,503 views.

Thanks for giving me a way to procrastinate doing my laundry :)