• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anyone else starting to stress about NaNo?

Chilari

Staff
I'm probably the last to start stressing about NaNo, to be honest, since I've had plenty to distract me until now (one of which remains incomplete which I WILL finish tonight) such that I haven't even been on the NaNo website yet. But now I'm starting to get a little worried.

The story I'm writing is a restart of a novel I began in September and didn't get far into, this time with better motivations and two POV characters instead of one. I've done some planning and investigated the characters a bit, their beliefs and approaches and motivations. As far as that is concerned, I'm good. I've done as much as I think is appropriate for my way of writing - enough to know what's going on without sapping my passion for the story.

But of course there are doubts. There are always doubts, but when NaNoWriMo is concerned, those doubts are magnified. I really struggled with NaNo last year and lack the in-person support I became used to in previous years with write-ins in a cafe in my old region (now a roaring success under the MLs who took over from me in spite of it being those same two individuals who were the biggest troublemakers when I was an ML; I saw them at the weekend and they still make me laugh with their arguing). But yes. In-person write-ins were great for me and now I'm back in Ruralton where the only writing group in the town is composed of people my mother's age (including my mother) reading out and critiquing, but never chatting, working through problems, having word wars, and worst of all, no stickers.

So of course I'm wondering - can I do it without the support network there? Am I good enough to tell this story? After months of not writing much at all, and when I have it being normally under 600 words a day, can I keep up with 1667 words a day for a whole month?

When I have written, 500 to 600 words seems to be about my limit, and furthermore about the amount written in the length of an album (so about 45 minutes) which is pretty much as much time as I have to write although I suppose I can cut out some internet time and cook up a load of food at the weekend so I only have to take something out of the freezer and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes for dinner, rather than taking however long to cook from scratch or nip down to the supermarket to grab ingredients for a sandwich. But even making more time in the evening, on the rare occasions I've clicked "play" a second time on the album I'm writing to to keep going, I've not gone far past 800 words total for the evening - I've lost momentum, run out of... energy, mostly. Inspiration. Confidence. The ability to care.

So who else is struggling and stressing at this stage? What has helped you move past it? For those writing daily, how do you deal with the step up from whatever your daily word target is to your NaNo daily word target?

Amanita

Maester
Well, at the moment, I have no idea if doing this, especially with a new story, is a good idea. I'm busy enough with the story I've been working on all along but the idea of trying something else did intrigue me. I'm not sure if I will keep doing it or not, changed story mid-NaNo last time as well.
For me, discipline is a big issue, that's why I tend to take part in NaNo because it gives me some extra-motivation. I easily make 2000 words or more a day if I sit down and just do it, but very often I do not and allow myself to get distracted instead. Or I'm telling myself that I'm much too tired in the evening even though I know that writing would get me awake again. ;)

If you've always got trouble with writing more than 500 words, are you bored with your current story? At least in my case, getting my protagonists into a dangerous situation forces me to write till they're out of it again, no matter how long or how many words it takes.

I don't really have much support outside of the web because most people around me don't even know I'm writing fictional stories and don't know of NaNo either of course. This hasn't really been a problem for me so far though, even though I don't what it would be like with this kind of support.

I'm not really stressing though. It's an interesting challenge but if I don't make it, I can cope with it as well. It's more about quality than quantity in the end after all and if it takes longer, it takes longer. I'm quite looking forward to trying to get into the head of this character now, who's only ever turned up as a sort of historical villain so far.

Last edited:

Weaver

Sage
Stressing about NaNo? Yes. this is my first year participating, and I have no idea if I can keep up.

Sparkie

Auror
Sure I'm stressing. It's what I do ;)

Where I am, it's about eleven hours until the start of November. I know I'm going to have some trouble keeping up the pace. So I took a week off of work this month. The way I figure it, I can get up to 20,000 more words during that span (if I have to.)

As far as advice, I don't really have any. Sorry! :(

Graylorne

Archmage
I'm not stressing. Not now. Later, probably. Finished the line-edit of my second Shadow of the Revenaunt-work, so I'm pretty relaxed atm (book to be publiced in Netherlands coming December).

I started a page on my website where I plan to post daily my word count and the last lines of each day's progress. Should you be curious, follow the link in my signature and go to the NaNo page.

Wish you all a lot of success, inspiration and beautiful words.

myrddin173

Maester
Hmm... Am I stressing? I would say now. I'm just happy I got power back. I probably should be stressing a little at this point, in fact now I am starting to stress out... Happy thoughts, Happy thoughts. Okay I'm fine, until tomorrow where I am going to write the first two thousand words of a novel... Yay?

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
I tend not to stress about NaNo as I see it as just a fun diversion for a month. This in fact will be the last year I'm doing it. If I do it this year, it will be the 5th November in which I've "won" which is enough for me. I'm hoping I can start to make every month National Phil Writing Month, although 50K a month is a bit ambitious. Maybe 20K a month? In any case, just have fun with it and see what happens. If you don't make it, no sweat.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I'm down to less than 6 hours before go-time, and really more excited than stressed. I'm working my WIP, rather than starting a new project this year, so that may be a contributing factor. Can I make 1667 a day? Don't know, but I'm eager to find out.

The beautiful thing about NaNo is that as long as you make some progress on your project, you're still a winner. It sounds like you've already done that by rethinking your characters and motivations a bit, so you're already on the right track! Don't worry about it too much. As you get deeper into your project, and the characters really start talking, your page count will go up. Promise. I know with me, once my characters start talking, it's shutting them up so I can get some sleep that's the trick. ;)

So, get your snacks and caffiene, and the thought of getting your cooking out of the way over the weekend is a good one. It's nearly time to NaNo!!!

JCFarnham

Auror
I think I flopped between "I'm going to do it" and "No, I couldn't possibly" at least once a day for the past week. That's got to count as stressing right? Anyway, I'm going to do it. I have to.

MAndreas

Troubadour
Stress? Me? Naw....maybe a little...more than a little, but not a lot. Ok, alot!
I'm more stressed about the fact that I actually plotted a good portion of this book, than the actual 50,000 words. I am a serious seat of the pants writer, but decided to visit plotting land for nano- and that is FREAKING ME OUT!

I won't be able to write tomorrow until after work, so I'll be fretting all day-LOL.

Good luck all! (I'm on nano as mandreas if you want to buddy :))

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
For me, I've never had a problem with the word count, but I have a lot of other projects and commitments drawing my attention away. It usually ends up with me way behind and doing 5k a day to catch up. Oh well... I like to wait till it's crunch time before I start really rolling. The problem with that is, sometimes I don't meet my goal, especially when I hit a snag.

Chilari

Staff
What? Is it time for Nanowrimo already? Next, you're going to say there's an election or something going on.

There is an election going on. In two weeks, for the Policing and Crime Commissioners in England and Wales. I think I've decided who I'm going to vote for for my region but none of them sound that great. They're all old men and only one of them has actual policing experience (and he's so old he looks like he should be in a home); the other two are an ex-MP and an ex-MEP so politicians not policemen.

Phil: National Phil Writing Month every non-November month sounds like a good idea. I might just steal the idea for December and January to get my novel finished.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice everyone. Now that is it November I'm feeling less stressed. Gonna get started when I get home from work.

Chilari

Staff
Hey, 4000 words in about 50 minutes. Nothing to stress about ;)

How much? How is that possible? I mean, that's 80 words a minute which is fairly fast typing, but that's maintained over 50 minutes. I can type at about 60 wpm when I'm in the Zone (though it will be full of errors), and I can at a push write 800 words in 15 minutes in a word war (or even up to 900 if I'm feeling competitive and know what I'm writing), but to sustain that level of writing for 50 minutes would be quite simply impossible. I'd be very happy indeed if I reached 1,667 in under an hour.

Bearing all that in mind, I have to ask:

Are you a robot?

brokethepoint

Troubadour
Since this is my first go and have no experience in what word count I can consistently sustain, I decided to do it unofficially.

I am absolutely excited to get writing and to have this be the start of a career full of best sellers. :)

I have donkey singing I'm a Believer stuck in my head.

Actually, I have done about 3k in an hour (actually 50 minutes since I take two 5 minute breaks). I'm just pushing myself a little harder and ignoring every mistake I make. The editor in me can yell at me later for saying she ran yellow or something like that.