• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

When is the right time to start?

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
Hi guys, sorry if it's a long read, I just want to say a lot about the situation I'm in and to express how I'm feeling.

I'm currently sixteen years old, in high school and wanting to write a fantasy novel/series. Ever since a young age I have found english comes very naturally to me and that I love to write.
From a time very early in my childhood I have had this character in my head, and I've never been able to get him out. He's grown up with me over the years, a character who is my age, and is everything I want to be in reality. He's really so real I could touch him- I've started a dozen novels with him as the main character over the years, and then half way through ditched it and started over. Every time I've restarted the plot has evolved and gotten a thousand times better, as well as my writing skills improving until now I am at a point where I feel that I am finally ready.
For the past year or so I've been pretty laid-back about creating my story, thinking up ideas for the plot and world-building every now and then, drawing maps and writing lore and never taking it too seriously. My mistake I made all the other times I've gone to write is I've been so eager to start I've started writing and not even plotted where the story is headed. Now I'm at a point where I have the story around 60% done, and a whole bunch of lore and background information sorted out. Everything is so vivid in my mind, it's like my world is real, I know every city, every place on the maps, I feel like I'm ready to begin.

Yet... there's a hint of doubt in me. I feel as if I'm not ready yet, as if I need to know EVERYTHING before I begin. I've heard of authors planning books for years until they write them, and somehow I don't see myself doing that. I'm wondering when I should write my novel- wait a few more years until I develop my ideas a bit more, or begin now, or in a few months? I don't spend hours every night trying to think up ideas and forcing myself to come up with solutions to the blank spots in my plot. I just do a little bit of work on it every weekend or ten minutes every night, I write when the ideas come to me- I don't try to force myself to come up with the ideas.
Does anyone else do this when starting a book? Do other people plan their books casually like I do? Or do you sit down for hours and try to come up with ideas? Furthermore how long does it take you before you think that 'your are ready' to sit down and write your story for real? Thanks for reading this rediculously long post, hope I didn't ramble on too much :)

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Does anyone else do this when starting a book? Do other people plan their hooks casually like I do? Or do you sit down for hours and try to come up with ideas? Furthermore how long does it take you before you think that 'your are read' to sit down and write your story for real?

Writers tend to fall into two categories in regards to planning - discovery writers and outliners. Though there is some discovery in outlining and discovery writers utilize some outlines, they each tend to approach the process differently. I like to start with a character and a situation and write to see what happens. Others prefer to map out their entire story and character arcs before ever putting epen to epaper on their estory.

Do whichever seems natural to you. There's no right or wrong way.

Other than that, it seems like what you're really asking is, "Am I ready?"

Truthfully, at sixteen, the quality of your writing isn't going to be all that great (then again, you could be some kind of prodigy). Regardless of when you start, though, that's going to be the case. If you wait another twenty years without starting, guess what - when you do start, the quality is still going to suck.

Start writing. Get feedback. Improve. Eventually, you'll produce some pretty good stuff.

Hope that helps!

Brian

MadMadys

Troubadour
Many people approach this in different ways. For every poster on this forum you'll find just as many permutations of essentially the same thing. It really does depend on the person for which method works with the best results.

Speaking for myself, I typically don't weigh myself down in too much world building, research and in-depth outlining as I used to. There was a time, when I was writing the first draft of my first novel, that I would delve deeply into developing currency and histories and all this other stuff because I felt the world needed to have a "lived in" feel. Not that I don't feel there is merit in that thinking anymore but I believe it takes a back seat to plot, characters, and other elements the reader readily consumes.

Nowadays things start when I get an idea (usually just a random thought in my head) and then develop it a bit more; making the character more interesting, giving it a setting, motivation, pov, and other little things to set myself in the right direction. Once I feel I have enough to start I, well, I start. A lot of the story develops as I write it because until I'm actually in the story, I can't properly make it as good as it can be. For example, I learn more about my own character through dialogue I write than by just outlining who I think they should be.

To answer your other question, of how long it takes, it can be an hour from first thought to first words in some cases. It depends what I'm doing at the time, of course, because some ideas need a little more thought than others.

One last thing to keep in mind, if you're taking a stab at your first novel, is that anything you write can change and almost certainly will change. Don't feel that once you write it that it's set in stone. It's a trap many fall in that once they setup their pov or particular setting or other elements that they can't change so they end up getting their feet stuck in cement. Knowing this allows you to experiment with different aspects of your story and really develop it in interesting ways.

Good luck to you!

OGone

Troubadour
Start now. I'm in a similar position to you. Start writing what you want to write, finish it. If it's bad and you don't find success with it (or maybe you don't even care about publishing and just want to write the story down) then it doesn't matter because the best way to get better at writing is to write.

You could also try what I'm doing and think of a bunch of backstories, flesh out supporting characters more and write prologues - instead of having a timeline go choose a war or disaster or anything else that happened and write a whole story with new characters in that setting. That way you can practice without ruining your *big* idea, if you know what I mean? Develop even more life in your world and practice writing at the same time. As you need to build your world to suit your stories thing you haven't gone into detail about will fall into place naturally.

Setting is only a small part of novel writing, the plot and characters take way more priority. World build enough to suit the story, anything else is a bonus.

But there's no time to start, the earlier the better. Some people's first book is brilliant, other people don't get published until they've written 12 novels and some don't get published at all (although I believe, with persistence, if you have some natural talent you will succeed with persistence).

The fact you've signed up to this forum at the age of 16 (and already finished 60% of your novel, I'm 19 and have barely started) is already a good sign. I'd suggest just keep writing and don't worry if your first novel isn't great, you can always rewrite it - even better if you write something else then go back to it. You'll get tons of practice in the meantime.

I suggest watching some writing videos and showcasing here. I feel in just a short couple months I've transformed my writing style (I got straight As for all English subjects but writing to entertain an audience rather than pick up exam marks is a lot different).

Last edited:

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
You could also try what I'm doing and think of a bunch of backstories, flesh out supporting characters more and write prologues - instead of having a timeline go choose a war or disaster or anything else that happened and write a whole story with new characters in that setting. That way you can practice without ruining your *big* idea, if you know what I mean? Develop even more life in your world and practice writing at the same time. As you need to build your world to suit your stories thing you haven't gone into detail about will fall into place naturally.

Thanks- such a great idea! I guess I just need to write and keeping writing so that I improve my skills, thanks for the advice :)

Thanks- such a great idea! I guess I just need to write and keeping writing so that I improve my skills, thanks for the advice :)

That's what it comes down to. More than anything, writing's a skill; inspiration's nice when you have it (but overrated when you don't) and planning's good, but what matters is getting in there and also staying at it. And I'm with OGone, getting 60% of a novel done at age 16 is a very good sign, not always for the writing but certainly for the writer.

Especially, think about making it that "bunch" of backstories and explorations, not whole other novels at first. Get some practice seeing how different stories have different cores, and practice doing those justice in a smaller scale-- and the thrill of finishing each and comparing them. Tighten up that learning cycle.

Then start putting them on our Showcase so we can share the fun.

Yet... there's a hint of doubt in me. I feel as if I'm not ready yet, as if I need to know EVERYTHING before I begin. I've heard of authors planning books for years until they write them, and somehow I don't see myself doing that. I'm wondering when I should write my novel- wait a few more years until I develop my ideas a bit more, or begin now, or in a few months? I don't spend hours every night trying to think up ideas and forcing myself to come up with solutions to the blank spots in my plot. I just do a little bit of work on it every weekend or ten minutes every night, I write when the ideas come to me- I don't try to force myself to come up with the ideas.

What you should do is this:

Try both.

You're young, you've got lots of time. Try writing some stories without any (or with minimal) planning; and try writing some stories after you plan everything in advance. Figure out which works better for you.

Some writers spew out a first draft off the top of their heads, then go back and think about it and extensively rework. Some writers write long outlines, slowly expanding the story until they can translate from a detailed outline directly into prose. Some authors do both of these things depending on the scale of the work or their mood! You need to figure out what works for you, and the best way is to try various things.

Whatever you try, keep writing, as much as possible. Every day, if you can. It's difficult to do something for ten years straight and not get better at it. ;)

Addison

Auror
Every writer has their own method, a process, of how they get the story written.

Firstly, congratulations on your story at sixteen. :D

Secondly there are many reasons you could be at a stand still. You sound like you're a 'seat of the pants' writer. Which is great, I'm the same way. But even they need some direction. My advice is to look at the last scene you've written and write it as an outline and see if the next scene starts to build from there, in outline format. Another way is to write the climax, the scene where your character finally clashes with the antagonist. I did the same thing for my story, for the same reason (I was stuck, like you) but when I wrote the climax and went on to the final scene of the story the space between climax and my stuck spot filled in my head and I got it done.

And also, I don't think anyone's ever 'ready' to start writing. Especially if they live in a busy house. ....Well I guess they can be ready. What you should do is figure out where in your room, or house or lawn where ever, you feel most creative. Where the writing and story flow easily. Make that place your work station. Put up inspiring posters, play your favorite music, pour your favorite drink or a plate of your favorite snacks. Make your writing place as comfortable as possible so you'll be pumped with creative energy and have no reason to leave or be distracted.

Hope this helped.
Good luck!

I recommend working on short stories to begin with, since the time investment is less--if one sucks, you can just put it aside and start another. (But try to get all the way to the end before you discard it, so you can fully practice your writing method--after all, if you were playing the piano, you wouldn't stop every time you made a mistake on the scales.)

Start now. There is never a right time to start writing.

If you are someone like George R.R. Martin, then perhaps it would do to wait a little and have your plot more spread out, but I don't think you have a plot as complicated and twisted as his. If you continue to write your story and really see it unfolding on paper, it might provide valuable insight into the plot and reveal holes that were previously invisible. Peruse your story as you write if you want, and when you finish it, you might recognize a few scenes and plot problems or inadequacies that you would want to change.

Review your plot before you continue though and make sure it's going where you want it to go.
I personally formulated about 120% of the plot of my first book before I started, which might give the wrong impression as it was actually 60% before I realised my story should be extended to two books. So it helps in stuff like that, although that's a rather trivial example.

Ignore this comment if you feel it wasn't worthwhile, these are my personal opinions.

VanClash

Scribe
I think just give it a go. Personally, I think writing the back stories is a great idea. I'm sixteen myself and love writing, but I've exhausted my big idea that I spend ages planning on a book I know isn’t too fantastic. I can rewrite it later, but I don't know if I'll have as much enthusiasm when I do it again. If I could start again, I'd write the back stories, or even just smaller stories about the world. Thanks for posting the back stories idea OGone, that has really helped me in ways I can really practice my writing, yet stay involved in the world I've created.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
There will always be more that you can know about your world, but do you really need to know that much to start? Not really. Personally, I learn enough to get me started and then fill in the blanks as I go.

There's a danger to building an overly complex world before you start the story. What happens if the say in world building, you defined two countries as being best friends, and the whole world seems to revolve around that, but then as you write the story, you realize it would be much cooler if the two countries were bitter enemies? Now you're face with this problem, do you tear apart your world building, or do you throw away a good plot idea for the sake of not having to redefine your world?

As for when you should write, I would say now is the best time to start. There will never be a "right" time. IMHO the best time is now, not tomorrow. You're 16 and man I so wish I wrote as much as you already have when I was your age. Why? Because it's a great age to just try stuff. You may fail spectacularly, and that's fine, because nobody expects you to succeed. But maybe you'll surprise people, and even if you don't, you have so much time to learn.

So go write, now. Fail or succeed, it doesn't matter. What's important is learn and get better and don't give up. If this is something you want to do, then just do it. Don't let anyone discourage you if you write something that sucks. Everyone sucks when they begin to write. No writer wakes up one day just writes a masterpiece. Like anything that's worth doing, there's a lot of hard work involved. But you get what you put into something, and if you put a lot into your writing, you'll get a lot back.

Good luck

Alex97

Troubadour
Start now, even if it sucks it doesn't matter. As some of the others have suggested, I would recommend starting with short stories. If you write these in the world you plan to set your larger project in then you can world build and create some characters in the process. On the other hand, if you want to start the larger novel, go for it - practice is practice.

I do a lot of world building then plan the story as I write. I prefer to world build first because I can set multiple stories. I plan pretty casually; an idea will come to me and I'll write it down as opposed to hours of forced labor. On the other hand a writing schedule or set time helps some people. As with most things, it's down to personal preference. Experiment with different methods and see what works.