• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

2016 July Camp NaNo

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
It's not too late to join us in the scribes cabin for nano camp. We're only a couple days in, and you get to set your own word count! Come on in if you haven't done a camp yet. It's great fun, and the cabin is private, only for members of this forum.

It's not too late to join us in the scribes cabin for nano camp. We're only a couple days in, and you get to set your own word count! Come on in if you haven't done a camp yet. It's great fun, and the cabin is private, only for members of this forum.

Can I still join? I was SO STUPID! I thought I'd try a Mystery cabin this year and it sucks! I love you guys! Erm ... I mean ... I miss you ... nobody talks at all ... 5 people haven't even logged in yet. The last comment was mine ... 2 days ago. I think I've learned a valuable lesson about loyalty ...

I'm TheCatholicCrow ... let me know if it's doable and I'll drop out of the other group in an instant!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
There's still room in the nano cabin if anyone wants to join us. Leave me a name to invite and "thank" the original post, to make sure I see it, and I'll invite you ASAP. We're doing great and talking a bunch! Daily quotes and some games forthcoming!

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Well...we've been a quiet bunch this month, haven't we?

Nano's winding down...well for those of us in the east, anyways. Our Alaskan friends still have a few more hours, but I've only got one.

Hoo boy! This one's gonna be tight, huh, folks?

While I don't think it's possible for me to get 12k in this last hour, I did get past my initial word count goal of 30k words. I knew I should have left it alone, but since I'm rewriting, I thought it might go faster than first draft...

Nope. Slower.

Slower than I ever imagined. I just got stuck for a week on such a stupid thing...until I talked to a friend and said, "I think I'm stuck on the "Second Thoughts" part of the three-act structure. Like, I have the Beginning and the Set-up. I have the Inciting Incident. And next, I know where the Act 1 Climax is, too. But there's three chapters here, and I know what happens in them, but I'm just not feeling right about the story structure and what I'm meant to be accomplishing in this Second Thoughts part."

Well, I'm set straight now.

"Tangled," she said. "Rapunzel wants to leave the tower and be free, but then she worries her mother will be angry. Back and forth, want, and worry."

OMG!!! How could I have been so blind?!?

My friends are awesome!

Hope everyone else is cruising right along, too. Best wishes for your final hours of nano.*

* Disclaimer: These words may or may not have become part of my nano count. ;)

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I've been past my word count goal for... eeeeh, quite some time now... but I'm working on wringing every last word out of my project that I can before I "win". It's harder than it might seem. XD

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Missed the midnight deadline by two minutes, and couldn't validate my final word count on the site. But it doesn't matter, cuz *I* know I won.

Final word count: 16,754 out of 10,000.

C

Chessie

Congrats to everyone who won and participated. Woop! :D

I had to bail due to life. We had family in town and there's just been a lot going on. July was going to be a stretch but I'm okay with letting it go. August returns my life to boring normal so I'll be continuing my WIP. Good luck to everyone with the rest of their projects.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Congrats to everyone! Seemed like a lot of stuff cropped up this month but as they say over in Cubs land, there's always next year, and for us we don't even have to wait that long! August is here to be the month of more words down on the page! I'm pretty happy with what I did this month, though that week of not writing threw me off a little. As always sit was a pleasure writing with all of you and i look forward to next time.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
I didn't win. I still have 10K words to go on 'Empire: Spiral.' (More, I suspect I 'missed' a chapter.) And between the commute (roadwork) and the politicians (political fliers in the mail slated for instant discard by 99.99% of those who receive them) work is going to drag for a while. Plus the daughter is slated to have her baby in a couple weeks.

On the brighter side, at 25.5K, this is my best NaNo word count this year, and my second best ever - even if it is just a tad over half what I managed in November. I knew going in July was going to be busy, and I figured a completion date of Labor Day, give or take. Instead, it looks like I'll beat that by a couple of weeks. Which is good, because I have a major unfinished editing project and two rewrites to get too, along with a novelette or two, prior to the November NaNo.