• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Wrote close to 5k words tonight, WHOO! haven't done that in a while. that also puts me ahead of schedule for winning Nano. Thought I would have caught up before now but eh, that's life for you

C

Chessie

Goal accomplished: 3,236 for today, bringing the total to 42,286. I might try more later after my cat nap. If not, then I'll do another power session tomorrow and see how close I can get to the 50k. It doesn't matter since the draft won't be anywhere near completed at 50k anyway. Things are still getting heated instead of resolving.

Ban

Troglodytic Trouvère
Article Team
Not participating, just here to cheer you on.

You guys are doing great! I think you've written more words in a day than I have in a week (2 weeks maybe).

Tom

Istar
It's almost noon and I'm bewildered, barely awake, and sporting a truly fabulous case of bedhead. Time to get started! My goal for today is 3k again (because it worked so well last time).

C

Chessie

I'm in a pillow fort with my laptop and kombucha. It would be nice to get to 50k today but I'm not so sure I can manage 8k in one day. I'll get as close as I can though.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Wrote nearly a full page today. Perhaps 300 words.

It's weird. This chapter has taken the shape of a very obvious commentary on real world politics and I'm really not sure how I feel about that at all. I don't mind if that kind of thing shows up in my stories, but I want to try and be nuanced about it, and I think this is just way too blunt. I'll try and push through it tomorrow and move on to more interesting stuff then.

C

Chessie

Svrt, are you pantsing this story? It seems that you're trying various ideas in one.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Still ahead of the game but I was expecting another big word count day. 2k is nothing to scoff at but I don't want to lose steam for the end of the month. Don't think its going to happen but the suspense is a good motivator.

Tom

Istar
9:40 here and my eye is starting to twitch. I'm done for the night. In other news, I think I need to lay out an actual timeline for the history of this world...so many inconsistencies...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Svrt, are you pantsing this story? It seems that you're trying various ideas in one.

It probably seems so, but I have a pretty detailed outline - I'm just not sticking to it very well. I think it's related to how I've decided to try and tell the story. It's not through the main character herself but through the people around her. I hadn't realised just how much additional detail that would require.

I know what happens to my main character, and the information that I need to put through to the reader about her. The issue is that I can't just have two random voices talking about that (I guess I could but...). I need to introduce the voices and the persons behind them, and that's not something I had planned for at all.
This is what's caused all of the additional subplots that I didn't originally think about, and it's what causes the scenes that are almost completely unrelated to the story.

So, in a way there's a whole lot of pantsing going on between the milestones.

C

Chessie

It probably seems so, but I have a pretty detailed outline - I'm just not sticking to it very well. I think it's related to how I've decided to try and tell the story. It's not through the main character herself but through the people around her. I hadn't realised just how much additional detail that would require.

I know what happens to my main character, and the information that I need to put through to the reader about her. The issue is that I can't just have two random voices talking about that (I guess I could but...). I need to introduce the voices and the persons behind them, and that's not something I had planned for at all.
This is what's caused all of the additional subplots that I didn't originally think about, and it's what causes the scenes that are almost completely unrelated to the story.

So, in a way there's a whole lot of pantsing going on between the milestones.

Sounds like a good time. It's like she's the mystery and you're the person investigating, asking people questions about her.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
I'll admit that I've always kind of scoffed at the idea of momentum in a story. I've just written what i thought was best, sometimes I outlined sometimes I didn't and I've generally been happy with the results. Having to write the beginning of the story after the end though, wow, really throwing me off my stride. after doing a few 3k+ nights I'm back to 2k and I think I'm just finding my legs in the beginning of the story now. weird but I think I'll get over it. Anyone else ever do this?

Tom

Istar
Okay, so after years of dragging my feet I just joined pinterest. ...And now I'm going to get nothing done. Someone needs to take the internet away from me.

C

Chessie

I've been pretty sick to my stomach today, waiting to feel better but doesn't look like that's going to happen. I've probably written a couple hundred words, not much. There's always tomorrow.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
3000 words so far today, 35200 total. Finished Chapter Ten, which is about 80% dialogue, about half of that a sort of info-dump/justification given by the big bad guy (except he's short, scrawny, and not all that healthy). Basically, he's established the framework by which the captive Emperor (and others) will be tried.

May or may not write more later. Current goal is 40K by the end of NaNo.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Added another 600 words, 35800 total. Decided to call it for the night. Started chapter 11, though it might become chapter 12 or 13. Kyle impressing his demonic boss.