• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Between the weather and other issues, work today remained a pain. More, my ideas when I sat down to write Chapter Seven were hazy and few. 900 words. Probably about halfway.

C

Chessie

I crossed the 30k barrier last night and have been writing for most of today although I haven't tallied my word count yet. Done with chapter 5 finally and have moved on to chapter 6. The falling in love part of my book has moved into a new direction. Here, I thought I had it all figured out and that there was no way the characters would be that into each other so soon. It seems they rather start their affair sooner than expected. Who am I to judge? After all, it feels right and my intuition is saying "yes, I approve". :)

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Whew!

Nine chapter in. Just over 30,000 words.

Time to go back through and do some streamlining of stuff that is not as important as I once thought and fleshing out the stuff that is. Not to mention adding in stuff earlier that I invented later... lol.

Going to be a big night. Hopefully I add more words than I cut.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Yay, I actually got some things done today. I'm having a hellish time trying to get into this character's head, because he wasn't in the first draft, at least not as a POV character. He's an antagonist and I'm using him as a POV now, and it's been super hard to figure out how to introduce him right.

One of the funny things about dying is that people do it every day, but don’t really think about it. Does the porter dress for work, expecting to be crushed that afternoon under a slipped crate? Is the milkmaid anticipating she’ll be kicked in the head by a moody cow and spend three days unconscious before the swelling in her skull finally proves fatal?

For many years, Cyril was prepared to accept his likely fate. Part and parcel for those who worked as mercenaries. If anything, he’d lived longer than he should have. But he’d always had confidence in his magical healing to see him through the day-to-day threats most swords for hire faced. It was only when that power was beyond his reach that he found cause to worry. And the more it slipped away, threatening to be the thing that did him in, the worse the worrying got.

The other funny thing about dying is that no matter how a person prepares, knowing it’ll one day come, it doesn’t change the terror of staring at death in the mirror. When faced with the knowledge that their days are numbered, most people start to live like they’ve never lived before. They drink like there’s no reason to face the day sober. They **** their friends’ wives, maybe welcoming the possibility of a quick death by a friendly blade. Cyril had seen it plenty, before campaigns, before boarding the ships that would be half empty when they returned home.

Even the downtrodden and destitute, or the lost souls who had nothing left to live for felt it. Cyril felt it. And he had as little reason to live as anyone.

An idyllic lake in a pleasant hill region might look a paradise to the untrained eye. Fog rising in the brisk autumn air, blanketing the quaint town in a dreamy haze. But for Cyril, it was far from a welcome homecoming.

When he last left Mist, he had a girl he loved, a baby daughter he cherished, and a free spirit that belonged only to him. Returning, after so many years away, brought a flood of memories back, both good and bad. Mostly bad, reminding him just how little he had to live for.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I was out of town all day yesterday and only got 114 words written. Now I'm 3K below par. :/

On the upside, yesterday was an early birthday celebration for me, and now I have two new books! The Last Unicorn and Tales from the Perilous Realm. <3

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Oh man, it took me a good four hours last night to go through all nine chapters (I read them aloud, slowly) and clean them up and streamline them so all the information is uniform and not contradictory.

Whew!

I only managed to add 600 words.

But! I managed to hit a breakthrough on characterization of a main character. This character is a real life historical character, and I did quite a bit of research over the past little while into his life in order to get a good idea of what sort of person he was. I think I can play around with him in some fun ways.

C

Chessie

I was out of town all day yesterday and only got 114 words written. Now I'm 3K below par. :/

On the upside, yesterday was an early birthday celebration for me, and now I have two new books! The Last Unicorn and Tales from the Perilous Realm. <3

I love The Last Unicorn! Is this a new read for you? You're going to loooove it. :D

Last night I was a bad girl and caught up on The Walking Dead episodes I missed. Hubby and I had zombie time. I regret nothing.

Today though, I have some words to catch up on and some big scenes to write. I also want to hike and go grocery shopping, so I better get a move on. 3k is the goal today.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
I love The Last Unicorn! Is this a new read for you? You're going to loooove it. :D

I read it once when I was in high school, and I agree it's fantastic. Hopefully my little sis will let me read it to her. She wanted to read it first, but I told her I have first rights to it cuz it's my gift. The animated movie (which I sadly don't own but requested for Christmas) is wonderful too. Christopher Lee is an awesome King Haggard.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Well, it's better than the first draft, anyway. I'm just trying to get things "good enough" so I can move on with the main points I want to make in place. I'm 7k words behind in nano, so my goal is a 5k day. My husband is putting up shelves on our bedroom wall, and the kids are running around the living room with a stuffed Peep in a bag stuck to a piece of cardboard (for some weird reason it's absolutely adorable), and I'm trying to find quiet corners since I can't go in my reading room (a three-seasons room that I renovated to be super cute and put a little stove in to keep it temperate) because it's freezing cold today. Yeah, 71*F yesterday, 46*F today and hailing this morning. I don't care what people say about their home, that the weather is unpredictable. I've seen it living in Wisconsin, where I grew up. I saw it when we lived in Missouri, for the short stint we did there, 95*F every day with 90% humidity all summer and then trees encased in the ice storms in the winter. I saw it in Albuquerque, where snow fell in the morning and then was gone at 11am when the sun came out and turned it into what in Wisconsin would have been called "a fine summer day". Now it's the same in Ohio. Screw where you live...it's all a mess! Unless maybe you live in Southern California (where there are earthquakes, no thanks, or Florida, which has hurricanes, again, no thanks).

People used to tell me how rotten it was living in Wisconsin, right on Lake Michigan. Our first two years married, we got 9 feet of snow in December both years, and my husband from England about died of shock when he saw what winter was really like. I tried to tell him that there were whole years when there was no real snow and it just rained all winter, turning the yard into a mud pit. But we moved anyways, for a job, and since then, it's been weird wherever we've lived. HA! In Albuquerque, we'd get snow in September, all the way to May...not a lot, but just that it happened shocked the crap out of me. And people always tell me how it must be nice to live in a warm climate. Well, sure, there were plenty of days I wore a t-shirt in the garden while I pulled weeds in January, but it gets to -20*F and kills the plants just like up north. 5000 ft. above sea level is sunny and bright, but it's cold as a well-digger's ass, too.

Winter is coming, folks.

Time to find a blanket and get my nano words in. HA! And if that doesn't work, I'm turning my bathroom into a sauna and working in my "office". Keep rocking it, folks. You're super stars!

C

Chessie

46F is warm! Try 18F and it's only getting colder + sunset at 4pm and getting darker. Welcome to the hellhole that is Alaska in the winter, which is why we lead the nation in suicide. :( We've also not been getting ANY snow the last several winters. It's been 3 years since I've used my brand new (at the time) snowshoes. That really sucks considering many people here do winter sports so skiing, snowboarding and the like just isn't possible anymore unless you go to Alyeska resort with their fake snow.

Then again, in the summer it's pretty awesome but the sun is up non-stop until September, making it difficult to sleep. Alaska is pretty extreme. Many folks can't hang. We have one family member up here and many of our friends have moved or are depressed because of winter. It's no camp, unfortunately.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Cruising along now...

“How is your new ship coming along, Lion?” Strange asked.

“Almost done.”

“And what are you naming her?”

“I haven’t decided.”

“Well,” Strange mused. “You already have The Lady of Pleasure, and The Lady of Grace. Perhaps The Lady of Eternal Beauty?” He smiled and winked at Raisa.

She bowed her head, pretending to blush.

“Oh, come now,” Strange said, smirking. “You haven’t aged a day since I met you.”

It was true. She thanked her cosmetics and counted herself fortunate to have retained her youth in a business that tended to prematurely age people–thirty-year olds looking forty, rather than the other way around. Axe, Jackal, and Lion had deep lines etched into their brows and around their eyes from long nights of boozing and gambling.

“No,” Lion said. “She has two named after her already. This one I’ll name after me.”

“What?” Jackal said, choosing that moment to prove how much the Elixir had taken effect. “The Portly of Call?” He guffawed.

It was sad, really.

Lion spun on him. “At least I’m not naming it after you. I’d have to call it Lacking Laughs.”

Strange choked on his wine.

I need a better name to use at the end. Something more angry.

C

Chessie

Gooooaallll! Ahem. It's not soccer. Word count met although it's taken me all freaking morning. A bit of shitty prose and yes, I'm not writing so well because I'm trying to get the story down as fast as possible. It's certainly been working:

(myata is a mint-like herb in this world with great healing powers that's very difficult to obtain, only found in Baba Yaga's garden patch in this particular story)

“It’s not that I think you would...but you might place yourself in harm’s way just to get to what you want. Because really, Ludmila, you’re just as selfish as I am.”

Those words penetrated sharply into her mind, into her heart. He might be right about some things, wrong about others. Her personality, however, he seemed to always have figured out.

“Is that so?” She challenged his idea of her anyway.

“We belong together, you and I.” He sounded so sure of this it frightened her a bit. “There’s no one else in this world like us. No one as selfish and desiring of power like us. It’s why we heal. To be esteemed.”

“Maybe this is our responsibility,” she said, growing ever disgusted of him by the moment. “We were sent here to help prevent this from becoming an epidemic. It’s in our best interest to see Vikna rid of this plague.”

Elya smirked. “Perhaps, my dearest little liar. Remind me again why I shouldn’t spread rumors of your witchcraft.”

Ludmila scowled, giving into her rising anger. “I am certainly no witch.”

“Then how is it that your tonics have miraculously begun to heal the afflicted in such a timely fashion?”

“I already told you it’s the myata.”

Elya laughed. “Truth no longer graces your lips, I see.”

“Damn you.” She snarled. “If you spread such rumors you’ll have me killed by these villagers.”

“Be with me then. In body and soul.” He raised an eyebrow. “It’s the only way to ensure my silence.”

His offer hit her like the cold, bone-chilling waves of an angry ocean. For some time now she had been sure of his desire for her, ever lurking in the shadows of her mind. No man’s approach of her had ever been quite like his; protective and possessive like a starving wolf ready to eat the warm and tasty femininity of her flesh.

Last edited by a moderator:

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Calling it 500 words for tonight, though I may write more. Hit some plot-blocks, went back, rewrote some earlier sections, so the WC is more guess than ought else.

Because sequence issues remain with Rebecca, I'll probably do another Tia chapter tomorrow. I may try to do the whole thing (Chapter eight, 2000+ words,) in one fell swoop.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
2000 words tonight, unless I do more. Did Chapter seven (Tia), got a fair start on Chapter eight (Rebecca). Decided to just punch on through with the Rebecca chapter and hope the issues resolve themselves.

At 26200 words, I can safely say I'm in the 'muddy middle.'

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Today: 760 words.
Total: 25k

This latest chapter makes an absolute mess of my story. It adds depth and personality to characters that are completely irrelevant to the plot and which I hadn't even thought of when I began the story.

C

Chessie

Today's total is 2,077 pushing me to 35k. I'm so far away from my 75k goal though but hey, better than nothing. First kiss scene: Ludmila's love interest, Sergei, flies her on his magical horse to the top of a ridge, where they spend some time bonding and overlooking the ocean. Lucky for me, this is one of my favorite views in all the world. One of our frequent climbs is a ridge directly behind our house, about a 2 hr hike, and it's majestic in beauty. There are several other ridges in the Alaska chain that connect to this one and it overlooks the valley where we live, the city, the marshes and ocean. I love being able to use my hikes in my stories. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Today's total is 2,077 pushing me to 35k. I'm so far away from my 75k goal though but hey, better than nothing. First kiss scene: Ludmila's love interest, Sergei, flies her on his magical horse to the top of a ridge, where they spend some time bonding and overlooking the ocean. Lucky for me, this is one of my favorite views in all the world. One of our frequent climbs is a ridge directly behind our house, about a 2 hr hike, and it's majestic in beauty. There are several other ridges in the Alaska chain that connect to this one and it overlooks the valley where we live, the city, the marshes and ocean. I love being able to use my hikes in my stories. :D

Kiss scene! I love doing those, lol... Sadly my WIP's are romance free as of now...

Tom

Istar
Still writing....Ugh. I'm so tired. We had a snow storm over the weekend so I didn't even go to school today, but I'm still exhausted. I managed to write a few pages of truly terrible dialogue. Maybe tomorrow I'll have the brainpower to get to the scenes I really want to write. (They're mostly angry, character arc-resolving scenes, with some worldbuilding and fighting thrown in. Should be fun!)