• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Long, brutal day today. Came back from work exhausted. 700 words, about half of what I'd hoped for. Maybe twice that to finish the Rebecca chapter. Then, it's on to Peter and the start of the real meat of the story - the arch-demon Li-Pang placing a captive human emperor (and others) on trial.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Still working on my poisoning event. It's hard to write when you're debating between a couple options. I picked on in the first draft, of course, but now I want to squeeze a whole lot of impact out of the scene, so I'm deliberating which way to go to up the ante.

Tom

Istar
Stayed home sick from school today, so I've had more time than usual to spend writing. Today's work so far is showing a strong influence from Megan Whalen Turner's The Thief, which I reread last night (for at least the 20th time).

C

Chessie

*Drags herself to the computer to write*

****!

Ugh. I'm SO done with NaNostupidWriMo. DOOOONE ya hear me?! I want a day off! But noooooooooooo.....nope. No.

I have a dentist appointment and Thanksgiving shopping to do today so not sure how much I'll get done but my bitch side is saying I can't play Fallout until all 2k words are done. So here we go.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Today: 1100 words.

The story is faffing abut and getting hung up on irrelevant details. New and interesting technical challenges are appearing though and it'll be interesting to see how this turns out in the end.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
wrote 7.5k in the last two days. should be caught up by tomorrow! I've never had such cases of not knowing what to write next with a project. Even when I outline I'm just like "naw that's not really what needs to happen here." Luckily, I figure it out in a day or tow but its real discouraging when you sit down to write a scene and all you can thin is wrong, wrong, wrong. Here's to finishing difficult works!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Decided to call it at 600 words tonight, most of that a rewrite of yesterdays work. Realized I'd forgotten to include a crucial character, had to redo things. The bit I'm getting into now is actually a drastic reworking of something I wrote decades ago.

With luck I can power through this chapter and on into the next tomorrow. I'm falling behind. Worse, my motivation wanes. What's keeping me going is that I'm fast approaching the sections I deem most interesting, which are more philosophical and theological than ought else.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Today: 3,000 words - finally a productive day.
Total: a bit over 28k

Happy with the performance today.
The story is still a mess, but at least there's a lot of words in it now, and that's good for the future.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
progress is slow.

The background scenery appeared mercurial in dimension and form–nothing constant except its foreboding feel. Like a carnival funhouse turned nightmarish, colors saturated walls and figures, as if shuttered lanterns were pointed haphazardly on everything. A guard laughed and drew back a curtain. Curtains? She hadn’t seen any in Dimata's office. Reality and dream separated for a brief moment before crashing back together like waves in a storm, pulling control away from dreamer and placing it in the hands of the dream. Behind the curtain, Logan, shackled to the wall and sporting a dozen or more deep cuts. His head hung and his body was limp.

C

Chessie

I...pulled a muscle in my armpit of all places, have no idea how it happened. My pain med finally kicked in so I can get to working. Only have 700 so far today so I'll probably be writing late into the night. Guess I'll be ringing in Thanksgiving. :D

C

Chessie

Alright: 2,625 upping me to 39,048. I might honestly just keep going. I'm comfortable on the couch now that my entire armpit/arm is lathered in Icy Hot...

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Today: 430 words.
This new chapter is shaping up to be interesting though. I should be able to fit in a lot of world building here, as well as setting up the framework for the next few chapters.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
:happy: plugging along. One sentence at a time, most of the way.

If Brazelton were likened to a person, it was a wretch in a sad state. Choking on the stench of sewage, bleeding money out of every orifice, and rapt with the pleasures of sex and drugs. Dressed in finery, though it was, underneath its veneer of palatial buildings and gaudy festivals, the city, with bowels bound up by a self-serving government, limped like a retired courser. The real power was in the hands of trade guilds, and they preferred the dons’ designs for operating over the direction of an aging council and a hedonist mayor.

Tom

Istar
Whew...did my best today and ended up at around 1300 words. Family holidays (and arguments with my grandmother!) always take a lot out of me. I did manage to write some stuff I'm proud of, including the first few paragraphs of one of the most emotional scenes in the novel. It was tough, but so satisfying to see all that characterization and interaction coming together on the page.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
700 words yesterday and 1900 today, though I might tap away more later tonight. Just barely broke the 30K mark.

Dratted characters are acting up again, causing problems with my latest plot fix. Grrr.

C

Chessie

I took yesterday off because of Thanksgiving and also hurt my other arm somehow. Groan. If my 30s are like this....

So its a bit hard to type today but it's going to be a quiet day around here. I'm going for 3k let's see if I actually get it this time.