• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Nano 2016 Motivation and Confession Thread

C

Chessie

I'm pretty sick. Why wouldn't I be when I'm so close to 50k? :( Looks like it's going to be another day on the couch with the laptop and Nyarlathotep:

Last edited by a moderator:

Gribba

Troubadour
Life got in the way, I have not been able to find any time to write, for little over 2 weeks now, not even been able to come on here... so, I have to admit defeat, this time around... but the work I got done so far has been great and inspires me to continue.

So, now for the cheeing you guys on!!! :D

You guys are champions!!!
Keep writing, I know you guys are going to kick NaNo in the :yellowcarded:

:p

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Am I gonna reach 50K by the 30th? No. Is that gonna stop me from writing? Heck no. I am gonna let my project sit for a while before I revise it, though. Need to finish up Winter's Queen at some point.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I lost my motivation to keep pushing.
I hit 30k yesterday and the month i s nearly over.
I finished the chapter I was working on, and today I've mostly been procrastinating.

I finally got around to starting on the next chapter though, and I realised that this is where the first act ends - or begins to end. It's time for the Fire of the Lonely Ones, which is going to be both dramatic and excitring - at least that's my will.

I should be able to finish this chapter before the end of the month.

Once done, I'm going to have to have a think about my writing process. It seems that trying to push for writing as much as possible doesn't quite work out for me - at least not in the long run. I think if I combine it with the method from the recharge mont (write one hour every day no matter what) it will work better. I can set off one hour after work without issue, and if I want to I can write for longer, but just sitting down as soon as I get hom to push out as many words as I can doesn't feel like something I can sustain.

I'll think it over more closely this weekend. I want to finish the story though. It's had some fun parts, but the best bnits are yet to come. Also: always finish.

C

Chessie

Made it by the skin of my teeth to my 4pm cut off. The tally for today was 3,130 bringing my total to 46, 767. I'll finish by the deadline but it's going to be tough. I'm getting lazy...

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
Svt, I'm with you, buddy.

I gave up on word count about two weeks ago. I just can't plow through 1700 words every day. Too many plot holes, to much inconsistancy, too much detail that is not necessary. It is like swimming laps... I could go to the pool and try to swim 20 laps in an hour, or I could go to the pool and focus on quality skill development and speed, even if it means less laps accomplished.

Trying to focus on an hour of quality writing a day is a better plan for me.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Drat. 3600 words flew off the keyboard yesterday. Today, I struggled to punch out a tenth of that. 500 words. But Chapter 11 (or whichever one it ends up being) is a wrap.

I might not even hit 40K when NaNo ends.

I'm pretty sick. Why wouldn't I be when I'm so close to 50k? Looks like it's going to be another day on the couch with the laptop and Nyarlathotep:

Not what I envisioned Lovecraftian music to be. Almost classical.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Well, I pulled the plug on my project. This is a confession thread, so here goes:

I lost my mind. I mean, that must be it.

My character took a blow to her sense of self, and that led her to a weird scene with her crime boss. She confronted him after learning that he'd lost confidence in her. It was impassioned and had a cumulative effect of several scenes that led up to this moment of tension and nowhere for it to vent to. Then it got away from me a bit. He gave her a hand job, they got high together, and then they went and smashed portraits in his gallery.

Yeah, I'm not sure what happened there. I no longer have a plan. I'm not even sure where to delete back to, because I actually like the scene....

I'll refrain from posting an excerpt from this latest development :redcarded:

C

Chessie

I lost my motivation to keep pushing.
I hit 30k yesterday and the month i s nearly over.
I finished the chapter I was working on, and today I've mostly been procrastinating.

I finally got around to starting on the next chapter though, and I realised that this is where the first act ends - or begins to end. It's time for the Fire of the Lonely Ones, which is going to be both dramatic and excitring - at least that's my will.

I should be able to finish this chapter before the end of the month.

Once done, I'm going to have to have a think about my writing process. It seems that trying to push for writing as much as possible doesn't quite work out for me - at least not in the long run. I think if I combine it with the method from the recharge mont (write one hour every day no matter what) it will work better. I can set off one hour after work without issue, and if I want to I can write for longer, but just sitting down as soon as I get hom to push out as many words as I can doesn't feel like something I can sustain.

I'll think it over more closely this weekend. I want to finish the story though. It's had some fun parts, but the best bnits are yet to come. Also: always finish.

I'm glad you joined in! I do believe this was your first one, yes? We popped your NaNo cherry! :D

And you probably learned something valuable about your writing process throughout all of this. Not everyone can work at these speeds; Lords knows I have a terribly hard time sustaining it. The reason why I like NaNo though is because of the social parts like this where we have confessions and share snippets. Writing is a lonely endeavor (probably why we all do it) so it's nice to have a change where more buddies are included.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nimue

Auror
5.5k. Not even kidding. Writing last night got it past 5k, even. I gave up a while ago, I suppose. Over the years my "NaNo's" have just gotten sadder and sadder. 16k the first year, then 10-12, then 8k, and now 5. Not sure how much lower I can set these goals. I'd just like to chuck my laptop off a pier and jump in after it.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
700 words tonight, 37000 total. My interest in the current chapters provides just enough will to proceed, but not enough to excel.

C

Chessie

I'm coming in for the NaNo end! Whew! I'm glad to have finished early but my work with this book is far from done. I still have a ways to go before getting to the actual end and then, of course, there are the revisions.

I've been pushing a strong word count though and hope to finish the book by mid-December, not later like I recently speculated. This means I better get a move on with outlining my next story. I've even been having dreams about it, which is unusual for me and probably a sign that this idea is my best one yet lol.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
I'm done with the month, but not with the story.
Total: 30,964 words.
I did finish the first act though, so that's something. I also wrote almost every day, and that's also good for me.

I'm going to need a little bit of a breahter before I move on with the next act, but hopefully not too long. I need to learn to keep pushing and to keep writing or I'll never be able to get anything to the point where I can actually charge people money for it.

This is my third year doing Nano, and it has been by far the easiest. No all-nighters, just an hour or two every day, and the result was 51K in 29 days. Amazing how that deadline can push you to write when under normal circumstances you'd read a book or browse the web. Exhausting? Yes. But but a nice work out once a year.
Now to go and finish the novel.

Fluffypoodel

Inkling
Hit the 50k mark tonight! a 4k night to be sure, one that I was a little worried about completing but hey, i did it. Time to spend a few days brainstorming then off to the next novel. Still working on the title of it, which is bugging the crap out of me, but I'll get there. Congratulations to everyone!

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
37658 words...according to the NaNo counter.

37526 words...according to MS word.

Its actually a few hundred words more, because of the rewritten sections - didn't save the old versions.

About 10 K less than I did during the last November NaNo - but still my second highest total ever.

Tom

Istar
This is a bit belated, but I reached 50k! I had a paper due the next morning so I was working on that while also finishing up NaNo, and I was up until like 2 am. I'm going to cry tears of joy when this semester is over.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I've even been having dreams about it, which is unusual for me and probably a sign that this idea is my best one yet lol.

I had a dream that I yelled at my husband for wearing my Deadpool socks, because his big fat feet were going to ruin them.

I'm so putting that into a story...